JDS vs Overeem: Do you think that was a fluke or inevitable?

FedorGOAT

Ultimate Fedorist
Platinum Member
Reaction score
When both of them met against each other in 2016 they were a shadow of their former shelves. What could have happened if K1 Uberreem & Prime JDS we saw in his famous title run, fought each other? Would we have noticed the same result?

They fought at a time when JDS was coming of a hard fought win ( some say loss) against Stipe. While Reem was on his last fight of his UFC contract & he bet big on himself ( He was coming off from a win streak against Struve & Roy Nelson I think, could be wrong). Eventually he would went on to win another fight against Arlovski & then fight against Stipe in a title fight. It was the resurgence of Econoreem. Despite those facts I still would count his run as a off the prime run.

Even on their downward spiral none of them have lost against any low rank fighter (common losses being Stipe, Ngannou & Blyades, Overeem has one more loss against Rosenstruik but that was kind of an iffy loss) , but it is evident that both of them have lost a few steps from their prime.

Overeem fought nearly the whole fight as a southpaw which confused JDS.
- He had no proper game plan for it and couldn't cover the distance.
- Before that Reem fought a lot more as orthodox and just switched to southpaw here and there.
- That's why he won. JDS hasn't fought many southpaws recently before their fight.
He hit him with his power left he recently uses a lot.

JDS was a nightmare matchup for Overeem post-USADA. And everyone knew it.

However, factor in that JDS was equally impacted by USADA, and now you have an even fight on paper.
First time we saw JDS under stringent drug-testing, and he already looked like a shell of his former self. Aggression gone. Flurries minimal. Chin gone.

Since then They've both gotten fatter and fatter whilst simultaneously losing muscle mass. But it seems that JDS was most impacted.

USADA bless.

Overeem is more decorated striker and he made the fight technical thus winning the fight.

JDS in his prime would win but without the speed and power of old he loses 9 out of 10

JDS has said overeem won't rematch him. I guess his team has tried to ask for it and overeem says no. I've always felt that it was a little lucky, and the stoppage was kinda quick too.

Inevitable

JDS was a slugger not a polished boxer and when he got into the cage with Overeem Overeem just showed him there's levels to striking.

Overeem immediately made JDS uncomfortable striking and shelled him up. Then Overeem just pieced him up until the end.

Honestly JDS would have had a better chance just bull rushing Overeem (Ngannou vs Rozenstruik style) and attempting to catch him rather then actually trying to out strike Overeem.

The problem with JDS in that fight was that he was not aggressive enough. He just tried to fight from the outside.

I was so disappointed when I was watching that.

Junior needed a dogfight, not a chess match.

Slightly off topic, (by slightly I mean completely,) but I think Tim Sylvia at his best could have taken Brock Lesnar.

I think Tim was big enough and could strike well enough to beat Brock.

What say you boys?

JDS is confusing, his fights vs Reem and Francis and even vs Stipe I kinda seen him as done, the mental side isn't there for the top level not to mention he lost his psychical attributes on top of that.

I got little doubt that say JDS that defeated Mir showed up he would have made Reem and Francis sleep, that was confidence, speed, determination not this scared fire and hope for the best all timid and slow.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, (by slightly I mean completely,) but I think Tim Sylvia at his best could have taken Brock Lesnar.

I think Tim was big enough and could strike well enough to beat Brock.

What say you boys?

There is no way that big, long, stiff dude stops the takedowns.

JDS is confusing, his fights vs Reem and Francis and even vs Stipe I kinda seem him as done, the mental side isn't there for the top level not to mention he lost his psychical attributes on top of that.

I got little doubt that say JDS that defeated Mir showed up he would have made Reem and Francis sleep, that was confidence, speed, determination not this scared fire and hope for the best all timid and slow.

His confidence.. When JDS doesn't have confidence in his fights he always loses.

I think that fight was great! I got to see Overeem lay him out live. I was the only person in my section cheering Overeem. Then I got to see Cerrone get murked by RDS but I did have to deal with watching Randa Markos fight so it was not all glory but they watching Nate go off post fight was great. No bleeps for my like the poor saps who watched it on Fox.

I expected JDS to murder him TBH. Anyone with a good chin and power usually beats him.
I think we all expected JDS to win that. JDS beating Overeem was one of these match-ups that sherdoggers considered a lock, like how nowadays Ngannou would easily crush Jon Jones.

"Doesn't matter if it's now or in 10 years, a bad match up is a bad match up; Overeem has a glass chin & poor defense without the big K1 gloves, and Junior has an iron chin + the best boxing at HW => no brainer"

I'm glad I never put money against Overeem (expect that one time I put 20$ on James Thompson ITD on a whim, because the odds were just too insane, and the Colossus is forever my boy <RomeroSalute> ... where is the "still my boy" gif?), dude is a nightmare for betters.

Dos Santos fights as a strong/tough striker. Willing to take a few to land a few. Not especially talented or great reflexes. When Velasquez broke his chin, his performances became erratic.

Overeem has his flaws, but you can’t give him a hittable target like that.

Back