IMO Yan and Aldo don’t deserve title shots. Prove me wrong.

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Here are the reasons why I think Yan doesn’t deserve a TS:
-His best win is against the ghost of Urijah Faber who wasn’t ranked in the top 5
-His wins over Dodson and Rivera came after both men had already lost one fight and weren’t ranked in the top 5 as well
-He has no top 5 wins
<31>
Here are the reasons why I think Aldo doesn’t deserve a TS:
-He is 0-1 in the BW division (granted that Moraes fight was close)
-He’s ranked #6 (somehow?)
-We’re not sure how long he can stay at this weight class
<mma3>
Given all the reasons I have listed, I still think this is an amazing fight and a guaranteed BANGER.
<{JustBleed}>
I’m a big fan of both, I just think Sandhagen vs Sterling should be for the vacant BW belt, since they both deserve it.

Last edited:
This just bleed offering needs to make it to the cage
<Gizmo01>

tenor.gif

You're not wrong but Yan is probably the most exciting of the top contenders as well as the youngest. Add to that he's a Slavic Russian which could significantly increase Russian viewership. And we have a clear choice.

This is UFC, deserve has nothing to do with it...

(Not that I really disagree)

Here are the reasons why I think Yan doesn’t deserve a TS:
-His best win is against the ghost of Urijah Faber who wasn’t ranked in the top 5
-His wins over Dodson and Rivera came after both men had already lost one fight and weren’t ranked in the top 5 as well
-He has no top 5 wins
<31>
Here are the reasons why I think Aldo doesn’t deserve a TS:
-He is 0-1 in the BW division (granted that Moraes fight was close)
-He’s ranked #6 (somehow?)
-We’re not sure how long he can stay at this weight class
<mma3>
Given all the reasons I have listed, I still think this is an amazing fight and a guaranteed BANGER.
<{JustBleed}>
I’m a big fan of both, I just think Sandhagen vs Sterling should be for the vacant BW belt, since they both deserve it.

I can see your point, but Yan I think is fine.

Aldo I think is really crazy to throw in there with no wins in the division. I think they want to give Yan the push by beating a name, but I still don't think it makes sense, should be Moraes instead of Aldo.

Cory, Sterling and Yan have similar value in their top 3 wins, so I'm ok with either one of them.

It’ll be banger anyways so most dont care. Marlon for the winner, you still got the Sandhagen/Sterling winner in there too. BW has some good fights looming

Yan deserves it, Aldo doesn’t.

Yan vs Moraes should’ve been the fight.

Moraes is on a ONE fight winning streak since getting KTFO in his title shot. That single win is a controversial split decision.

I see no reason Moraes should be in front of anyone on a substantial win streak.

Surely Aldo is not most deserving, no disagreement there. Some combination of Yan, Sterling, Sandhagen made the most sense, but as it turns out Sterling and Sandhagen are having a title eliminator.

here is where I disagree.

- Yan's best win isn't Faber, it's Rivera who soundly defeated Faber BEFORE his retirement where he came back looking diminished.
- Who cares about rankings? they don't mean anything and they don't have any real metric. Conor McGregor hasn't won a fight at LW in 4 years and he's ranked highly. Rivera and Dodson are super tough fights and good wins. They're guys who have given tough fights to top contenders and are obviously very good.
- This is the exact same point you just made but phrased in a different way. It's not like many of the top 5 guys have fought each other, thats the problem with the division right now. Yan is ranked #3, the champ is gone, so him vs any top 5 for the belt would make plenty of sense.

On Aldo, I more or less agree with what you said. I thought he beat Moraes but it was close enough to go either way so the UFC shouldn't be using it as an excuse to put the bigger draw in Aldo in the fight.

Yan should be fighting Moraes or Sterling for the title. Moraes/Sterling title rematch makes sense but Yan vs either of them is more spicy. It's weird you think Cory should be fighting for the title even though he's the worst rank with the worst resume compared to all other parties.

The real reason why Yan "deserves" (aka why the UFC are allegedly giving him) the title shot:

• He's 17-1 (9 fight win streak)
  • Only 27 years old
  • Other top contenders recently lost Moraes lost to Cejudo; Sterling lost to Moraes
  • Sandhagen is lower ranked (the UFC might be grooming him for a near future fight vs. the champion)

And here are the reasons why the UFC gave Aldo the title shot:
  • The UFC are confident Aldo will lose
  • Aldo has a few years left, but he has tons of name values
  • Yan has great potentials and many years left, but he lacks name values
  • The UFC is using Aldo to build up Yan's name

Fights goes to a draw. Title remains vacant. Dana becomes furious. Cejudo laughs.

Moraes is on a ONE fight winning streak since getting KTFO in his title shot. That single win is a controversial split decision.

I see no reason Moraes should be in front of anyone on a substantial win streak.

Surely Aldo is not most deserving, no disagreement there. Some combination of Yan, Sterling, Sandhagen made the most sense, but as it turns out Sterling and Sandhagen are having a title eliminator.

- Moraes beat Aldo, far more significant win than any of the guys your just named have.

- He also nearly beheaded Sterling, so cross him off that list.

- Sandhagen is a pillow fisted point fighter, his ONLY relevant win is over a shopworn Assuncao (who ALSO beat Sterling and was nearly decapitated by Moraes)

Tough call but anything other than Yan vs Moraes doesn’t make sense.

<seedat>

Ufc is incompetent. This was their chance to reset the division and give us a nice tournament with young talent or absent a tournament, act in good faith and book sterling vs either sandhagen or yan. But they showed their ass.... Again. Fuck this shit is awful. I can't believe they booked yan vs faber back then. In what world was that a good idea? How does that warrant a title shot? Fuck that.

- Moraes beat Aldo, far more significant win than any of the guys your just named have.

- He also nearly beheaded Sterling, so cross him off that list.

- Sandhagen is a pillow fisted point fighter, his ONLY relevant win is over a shopworn Assuncao (who ALSO beat Sterling and was nearly decapitated by Moraes)

Tough call but anything other than Yan vs Moraes doesn’t make sense.

He beat Sterling, who went on to a 4 fight win streak. Moraes went on to get KTFO by Cejudo. So who gets crossed off the list? The guy who's put 4 in a row together, or the guy who got stomped out in his title fight just ONE fight ago.

A split decision over an unranked Aldo isn't that important for the division honestly.

Yan vs. Moraes/Sterling/Sandhagen would be more logical. But Yan deserves it for sure

Back