What effect will the smaller cage have on Woodley?

Rorschachxx

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
As we all know Woodley has a habit of sticking really close to the fence and letting his opponent take the center of the octagon pretty effortlessly. A smart Striker can keep Woodley at a perfect distance and allow himself a lot of room to avoid that classic rush/flurry of T-Wood. A dumb striker will player right into what Woodley is trying to set up.

Now both Woodley and Burns will have to deal with less room to be offensive and defensive since the fight was moved to the APEX. For the analytical, intelligent, and likely gay Sherdoggers: Will the smaller cage have an impact on Woodleys performance and openings and if so, what are you expecting?

The cage will be smaller?
Apex, right? Is that where TUF was?

Good question, for all the fights. Smaller cage certainly forces more action (usually). In this case, it could lead one or both of them to be less patient. Most likely Burns, IMO.

Woodley better not think he can eke out 3 close rounds, that's for sure.

Smaller cage is usually faster pace, because you are always closer to your opponent, but I don't know if the cage is small enough to really affect the way they fight in a significant way, I think Woodley can definitely do the same thing he always does, maybe Gilbert will feel more inclined to engage more often, which could play into Woodley's strategy, if he plans to do his counter against the cage. It could also drown him, if Gilbert can keep up a high pace and not give Woodley space.

A larger cage benefits quick, light on their feet, distance strikers, which neither Woodley or Burns are. I don't think the smaller cage has a big impact on the result of this fight.

Apex, right? Is that where TUF was?

Good question, for all the fights. Smaller cage certainly forces more action (usually). In this case, it could lead one or both of them to be less patient. Most likely Burns, IMO.

Woodley better not think he can eke out 3 close rounds, that's for sure.
There’s a graph or something that shows theres more knockouts in the bigger cage and more decisions in smaller cages or something along those lines

it seems to me the UFC would put in a reg size octogon.

Its going to be smaller?
Kinda odd....would have thought they'd put in a standard size cage.

Back