Why was Hendricks only a small underdog against GSP?

medium rare

Shameless PRIDE fanboy
Banned
Reaction score
Hendricks closed as low as +155 but GSP had fought fighters on longer win streaks like Hardy, Alves, Shields etc. but was a huge favorite over all of them.

Diaz +465
Condit +286
Shields +405
Koscheck +390
Hardy +550
Alves +250

On paper, Hendricks wasn't any different from the dudes GSP had 50-45'd with ease like Koscheck

D1 wrestlers with overhands

He was the lesser fighter. He got a few knock outs early.

Kos was 9-1 at the time with his best win being Diego Sanchez, Hendricks was on a 6 fights win streak including wins over Kos, Fitch, and Condit

Ppl forget Kos arguably beat Hendricks and prolly should've got the decision

Hendricks was a more technical sturiker by the time he fought GSP. He used angles really unorthodox for his setups, had some good leg kicks too ppl forget about. He was nasty in the clinch too which most of GSPs opponents weren't. His wrestling was comparable to Kos but he was bigger and not as reliant on explosion

Johnny up to that point was clearly a better and more dangerous fighter than anyone GSP had faced in a longtime, if not ever. Stylistically, he matched up better than anyone Georges had faced since Koscheck, except Hendricks was definitely a better fighter than Koscheck by the time he got his title shot. Hendricks wasn’t going to stand there and get jabbed in the eye for 5 straight rounds. Couple that with the fact that GSP was slowly looking less dominate in his wins, wether that was injuries, burnout, or just competition catching up, all the things were pointing to Hendricks being a hard fight for GSP. I remember picking GSP to win, but I knew Johnny was a dangerous fight for him. Wether GSP actually won that fight will be one of the biggest MMA debates of all time (I think Hendricks won, but I don’t think it was a robbery necessarily). Regardless of the results from the judges, I think how that fight played out is just another example that oddsmakers know their shit more often than not.

Last edited:
Johnny up to that point was clearly a better and more dangerous fighter than anyone GSP had faced in a longtime, if not ever. Stylistically, he matched up better than anyone Georges had faced since Koscheck, except Hendricks was definitely a better fighter than Koscheck by the time he got his title shot. Hendricks wasn’t going to stand there and get jabbed in the eye for 5 straight rounds. Couple that with the fact that GSP was slowly looking less dominate in his wins, wether that was injuries, burnout, or just competition catching up, all the things were pointing to Hendricks being a hard fight for GSP. I remember picking GSP to win, but I knew Johnny was a dangerous fight for him. Wether GSP actually won that fight will be one of the biggest MMA debates of all time (I think Hendricks won, but I don’t think it was a robbery necessarily). Regardless off the results from the judges, I think how that fight played out is just another example that oddsmakers know their shit more often than not.

+ the "surprise" "off riddium" TD wasn't going to be as effective against Hendricks.

Should have been the favourite. He was knocking guys out for fun while GSP was looking out of sorts in the Condit and Diaz fights

Back