News The 2020 Likepocalypse

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Alright, here's the deal man. Tech has reset Like counters to zero. They did this because the system was getting too clogged up - you may have noticed serious browsing issues the last few months, and this is why.

Please don't e-suicide your accounts because of this. We know this sucks, and that they meant a lot to some of you, but it was either this or have a janky forum. Parent company went with the former.

Tech has also implemented a limiter for standard accounts, where posters should only be able to like a certain number of posts each day. This also applies to profile posts and comments as well.

Direct quote from Tech:
Likes are reason your servers have been going off the rails. It's also making it difficult to perform some routine administrative tasks such as moderate users, change forum permissions, usergroup permissions, and comply with GDPR requests. They're in too many of the necessary database queries and they cause locks. We would have to rewrite core XF files to work around it. Our techs advise against that because the site would break every time we updated and it could create security vulnerabilities. We're going to have to remove them all. Your admins may put restrictions on their use afterward to cut down on excessive usage. You'll be able to like this post when we're done (or not).

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/likes-purge.4110639/

I'm out....

source.gif

200.gif

Last edited:
@TheSpider scrambling on all of his alts to to like boost his Homoerotic silva posts

I say get rid of the "Like" feature completely, especially if it's causing problems.

while i like the idea of acknowledging posters who contribute meaningful (if not entertaining) content, I think it creates echo chamber-esque forum culture that promotes dishonest posting. (Conor bashing just for likes ect)

Back