Is Johnny Walker this era's Luiz Cane?

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
Both Brazilian, Cane had a lot of hype and was briefly top 10 ranked and a dynamic knockout artist with good athleticism. Cane was more of a boxer tho. Then from the Hogerio loss his career unfolded after his run

It's prolly safe to say Johnny isn't on the level of prospects like Reyes, Ankalaev and Rakic so is he heading down a similar path?

wtf?

no he's more of this generations Sokoju

Johnny never beat anyone remotely close to Arona or Hogerio. Those were 2 of the biggest upsets ever particularly Hogerio as it might've been the biggest upset ever from an odds perspective. His career path wasn't anywhere the same

Both Brazilian, Cane had a lot of hype and was briefly top 10 ranked and a dynamic knockout artist with good athleticism. Cane was more of a boxer tho. Then from the Hogerio loss his career unfolded after his run

It's prolly safe to say Johnny isn't on the level of prospects like Reyes, Ankalaev and Rakic so is he heading down a similar path?

wtf?

no he's more of this generations Sokoudjou

I remember both of these guys. Man I'm getting old :(

EDIT:

2020 Houston Alexander...

Wow, I remember him too. Time flies

Johnny never beat anyone remotely close to Arona or Hogerio. Those were 2 of the biggest upsets ever particularly Hogerio as it might've been the biggest upset ever from an odds perspective. His career path wasn't anywhere the same

but he become extremely overrated by catching a few guys very early on and quickly and that's pretty much all they had - explosion and power

then were both exposed for all of his shortcoming as fighters

Cane was a very well rounded complete fight - he just wasn't THAT good

I still have yet to see any Walker nuthuggers come to eat crow on here. I was always sure Dominick was a better prospect by far based just solely on their fundamentals. But no, you all liked the flashy stuff instead.

Hopefully, you learned what to look for in a real prospect.

Cane was never that hyped but I'm not going to lie, I thought he was a great prospect and would be around for a long time.

Honestly walker is 1 of a kind IMO.

I mean, talk about a guy who has ALL of the physical gifts, and is absolutely going to come short in the end because of his attitude and lack of accountability.

He goes on a run that most fighters dream of when entering the UFC. He became known amongst the hardcore fans, and got out in some featured matchups.

Then, like 99.99% of the fighters who have competed in the UFC, he got caught. It HAPPENS. Sometimes there’s a direct cause, other times it’s simply your time. I mean shit if GSP can fuck up in the middle of his prime, can’t anyone?

Instead of shaking it off and moving forward he blamed his coach for stressing him out and holding pads wrong, switches gyms and took 0 responsibility for the loss. That’s not a champions mentality.

I think he could easily be a champion some day, but he needs to make a million mental adjustments before he gets there.

I still have yet to see any Walker nuthuggers come to eat crow on here. I was always sure Dominick was a better prospect by far based just solely on their fundamentals. But no, you all liked the flashy stuff instead.

Walker didn't necessarily disprove himself before losing. He had three vicious wins in like 3mins total. The CIrkunov win was pretty good. I'd say he didn't show enough to show anything. After the Anderson fight kinda showed something but you could have chalked it up as being careless and getting caught. It's pretty clear now he has big hole to close.

On a different note I'd say he's like Brandon Thatch.

But no, you all liked the flashy stuff instead.

LOL oh sorry O wise one, I will never like a fighter again without your approval

God forbid we like an entertaining fighter who dominates in a cool fashion, and hope he does well in the future!

Better wait until they've proven themselves for 5-7 years before getting excited about their prospects...in fact, why not just wait until they are champion before thinking they might be good. Or better yet, don't be a fan of any fighter, it's all just silly punching and wrestling anyway. I'm going to stop watching MMA and become an accountant, that's the proper course of action.

Walker didn't necessarily disprove himself before losing. He had three vicious wins in like 3mins total. The CIrkunov win was pretty good. I'd say he didn't show enough to show anything. After the Anderson fight kinda showed something but you could have chalked it up as being careless and getting caught. It's pretty clear now he has big hole to close.

On a different note I'd say he's like Brandon Thatch.

None of his wins warranted the hype that he got. He was being called the man to dethrone Jones. He hadn't proven anything beyond the fact that he was a prospect who got some flashy wins. His best win being a mid-tier guy.

On the other side, those same guys were saying that Reyes hadn't shown anything to indicate he was anything special. Anyone who knew what the fuck they were watching knew that wasn't true.

None of his wins warranted the hype that he got. He was being called the man to dethrone Jones. He hadn't proven anything beyond the fact that he was a prospect who got some flashy wins. His best win being a mid-tier guy.

On the other side, those same guys were saying that Reyes hadn't shown anything to indicate he was anything special. Anyone who knew what the fuck they were watching knew that wasn't true.
I thought Reyes was great but didn't think he'd do as well as he did against Jones. Also the wins Walker had didn't show power but athleticism. If he could clean up technically he could be great because he's big for the division and crazy athletic.

LOL oh sorry O wise one, I will never like a fighter again without your approval

God forbid we like an entertaining fighter who dominates in a cool fashion, and hope he does well in the future!

Better wait until they've proven themselves for 5-7 years before getting excited about their prospects...in fact, why not just wait until they are champion before thinking they might be good. Or better yet, don't be a fan of any fighter, it's all just silly punching and wrestling anyway. I'm going to stop watching MMA and become an accountant, that's the proper course of action.

Dude you can get excited for a prospect but be measured and don't overhype him. Here you are being overreactionary again.

There is no middle ground with you huh? You either get overhyped and nuthug someone who hasn't proven anything or, if not, you quit watching MMA altogether.

I thought Reyes was great but didn't think he'd do as well as he did against Jones. Also the wins Walker had didn't show power but athleticism. If he could clean up technically he could be great because he's big for the division and crazy athletic.

I liked him as a prospect too but all that hype got him bigheaded. He could've took a step back and tightened his technique but he thought he was going to KTFO Jones in his next fight because his nuthuggers said so.

tumblr_m6va4nAt1O1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Whenever I hear someone mention Cane I think of this finish. Shame he didn't perform at this level for very long. Would have been cool to see him fight Thiago Silva back then or someone like Jardine.

still too early to tell. I think he has great potential. But he has to improve his fundamentals first.

Back