Media The basic system of khabib's grappling against the cage

AlanGregson

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This is a basic rundown, i wont get into too much detail.

1.Getting you to the cage
  • Either he gets you past the black line with striking and pressure, once you cross the black line he shoots a dubble leg, this isnt used to take you down, usually, only to push you aginst the cage.

• OR he just runs at you throwing a flying knee or some crazy shit. He doesnt do this aginst top tier competition. Usually

2. Keeping you against the cage and taking you down.

• Once he gets you there, he traps you. His shoulder is pushing you into the cage, one of his hands is around your leg, if you try to squirm out towards the far side you basically run yourself into his other hand thats either helping to control or fishing for the single leg.
Screenshot_20200526_011641.jpg
  • Taking you down at the cage is usually done from that single leg, trips, using momentum or balance...

3.Keeping you down at the cage and draining your energy
  • Once you get taken down you basically have two options, try to get back up or try and conserve energy, if you try to conserve energy he will sense it and start with the GNP, this will then turn into his opponet trying to get back up, when you try to get back up he will start to drain you.
  • The GNP is pretty straight forward so i will skip it, if you try to get back up, he will put his whole body weight on you and let you carry him, he can drag you down or hang on you, this position builds up a ridiculous amount of lactic acid in your upper body and you dont really notice it until you get back up and start throwing punches again. He will also threaten with taking your back. His hands will either be clasped at your waist or just below your shoulders. He will also knee your hamstrings or the back of the knee to inflict damage in this position.
Screenshot_20200526_014515.jpg

Screenshot_20200526_014448.jpg

• If you manage to get back up, congrats, you're back at step number 2, trapped against the cage where he will be looking for single legs and trips.

And thats it really, thats his basic system, its effective and reliable. Its just a horrible cycle thats designed to break you down both mentally and physically There ofc are other things that happen on the ground that we're not gonna get into.
Hope you enjoyed.

Last edited:
And by black lines i mean the octagon inside the octagon.

TS loves himself some Khabib.

All his posts are about Khabib.

TS loves himself some Khabib.

All his posts are about Khabib.
I appriciate the grappling mastery he brings, no other fighter compares to him technically in combining all aspects of grappling. JUDO, submissions, wrestling, cage work...

His style isn't even that complex. Any decent grappler could emulate it easily. I don't know why more people don't copy it.

Excellent breakdown

Khabib's grappling is the best MMA has ever seen

His style isn't even that complex. Any decent grappler could emulate it easily. I don't know why more people don't copy it.
Messi isnt even that good, he's just kicking a ball, why dont all the other players do the same.
<FookIsThatGuy>

Good thread. He’s kind of the perfect “one-weapon” fighter because it’s, so far, an un-beatable gameplan tailored to him as much as a weapon. As opposed to Ronda who really had nothing if she couldn’t get your arm(Beth doesn’t count), which was made obvious by good gameplans, Khabib will get you on that fence at some point, and there’s no blueprint on how to deal with that.

I appriciate the grappling mastery he brings, no other fighter compares to him technically in combining all aspects of grappling. JUDO, submissions, wrestling, cage work...
well said and objectively true

All Khabib does is leg hump and cage exploit

tenor.gif

Interesting, good work with the gifs.

What are your thoughts about his takedowns, especially single legs in the open?

I rewatched the Conor fight recently and Khabib shot from a mile away for a single in the first round. After some extended wrestling, he finally took Conor down and they gradually slid towards the fence. Then that cycle of trying to stand and being taken down against the fence started. So, you could end up being wrestled against the fence, even if the shot was first in the open.

It seems like this is another one of the main ways Khabib takes you there, I'll see if there's some gifs around cause I don't know how to make them.

Edit: Closest I could find, but we don't see the shot or how they get to the fence.

Jr4ZuA.gif

Last edited:
Khabib advantage is his cardio, not of lot of people can do that and not get tired in 3 rounds

Back