Free Fight: Adesanya v Silva

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Decent fight, didn’t expect Anderson to look so good against Adesanya.

Would have loved to see prime Silva vs Adesanya.

I don't think the fight plays out a whole lot differently but SIlva's speed and reflexes are not what they were at this point.

2 counter strikers that seemingly have a harder time looking good when their opponents aren't engaging them for them to counter.

I was just happy that Anderson didnt get finished, and tbh, he looked serviceable all things considered

Good fight. 44 year old Silva did better vs Izzy (lost 29-28) than prime Whittaker (KOd in 2).

Prime Silva finishes Izzy within 2 rounds.

Prime Anderson would’ve stiffen Israel within 2 rounds. What we saw here is a near 44 yr old, 2-year lay-off Silva fight a competitive decision against a Prime Israel. I have no doubt a 33 yr old Anderson KOs him

edit: inb4 @Perrichet with his Anti-Silva babbling nonsense

Would have loved to see prime Silva vs Adesanya.

I don't think the fight plays out a whole lot differently but SIlva's speed and reflexes are not what they were at this point.

2 counter strikers that seemingly have a harder time looking good when their opponents aren't engaging them for them to counter.
Anytime Silva led he tagged Izzy.

Izzy has the most success when's he leading and Silva has the most success when he's countering.
Anytime Silva led both fighters looked sloppy but when Izzy led it was beautiful to watch from both sides.

It's weird to me when people call Izzy a counter striker.

Adesanya beats any version of Silva; if you think otherwise, you're a moron.

I was just happy that Anderson didnt get finished, and tbh, he looked serviceable all things considered

ngl, i thought Anderson was going to knock him out, and i think i even posted about it before the fight lol

Embarrassing from Izzy, was afraid to finish his idol

the fight would of been iconic in their primes

Izzy fights to the level of his competition, that has been exposed over the last few fights. But he did explain that he wanted a spectacular knockout. He was trying to hit where Anderson was going rather than where he was. He was just a bit off that night

I wanna say that isreal carried him a little. Not intentionally, but the idea that isreals style gives anderson space and opportunity to do his thing and look decent as well. cardio and physicality (what anderson is losing with age) aren't as big of a factor when they fight at that pace.

Anderson looked good considering the context of his and Israel's career.

I do think that Anderson's aura was so big that it carried over into his post-prime years. I remember Adesanya saying something about the fact that he was finally seeing his idol in the flesh and fighting him, and how it felt surreal, which kinda psyched him out a bit. Same with DC.

If in some parallel universe you could brainwash them to forget who Anderson is, I would expect them to dominate more clearly. But of course this is pure speculation.

Lol, tell us what you really think!

I was at this fight live, was exciting but we were really expecting something to happen and not much did to be honest. Like was said earlier both counter strikers so hard for heaps of action.

Good fight. 44 year old Silva did better vs Izzy (lost 29-28) than prime Whittaker (KOd in 2).

Prime Silva finishes Izzy within 2 rounds.
What about Prime Silva v . Cannonier? Does he make it to the second round?

This was a decent match. Not as terrible as some Wonderboy fights or Izzy vs Yoel

Anytime Silva led he tagged Izzy.

Izzy has the most success when's he leading and Silva has the most success when he's countering.
Anytime Silva led both fighters looked sloppy but when Izzy led it was beautiful to watch from both sides.

It's weird to me when people call Izzy a counter striker.
I'd say Izzy is pretty good at countering, but i certainly agree that he's not as much of a counterstriker as some people make him out to be.

IIRC, Whittaker was the only recent fight where he did his most significant work on the backfoot.

Anderson - 9 title defense finishes in 11 title defenses + 3 1st round LHW KOs

Israel - 0 title defense finishes in 1 title defense

How so? Not completely disagreeing, but more curious - Anderson Silva was pretty special in his day when he didn't have to worry about takedowns (which is something that makes most strikers human).

Back