News So I guess Tito Ortiz is fine after all?

Africa5876

The Last GenderBender (Usada approved)
Banned
Reaction score
Ortiz's win reinstated after drug-test controversy http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/28802905/tito-ortiz-win-restored-texas-drug-test-issue-corrected

"Tito Ortiz has his win back.

"The UFC Hall of Famer was disciplined by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) last month, which included the overturning of his December victory over Alberto Rodriguez to a no-contest. On Friday, the TDLR said Ortiz's win had been reinstated.

As ESPN reported Thursday, TDLR spokesperson Tela Mange confirmed Ortiz tested positive for a "disqualifying substance" in an in-competition drug test from Dec. 7, 2019, the night of his Combate Americas bout with Rodriguez. However, Ortiz disclosed he was taking the substance --- which is not a performance-enhancing drug -- before the fight and told the department it was prescribed by a doctor.

Despite that, when the substance came up in Ortiz's drug-test results the TDLR briefly suspended Ortiz and overturned his win. Sources told ESPN that Ortiz's suspension was lifted Jan. 31. And Friday, the TDLR announced that it had cleared Ortiz and given him his win back after speaking with his doctor.

"Pending the outcome of the TDLR inquiry into whether the substance was indeed prescribed by a physician, TDLR marked the fight results as 'No Contest,'" Mange said in a statement. "TDLR confirmed with the physician that the item was prescribed to Ortiz. TDLR has reinstated Ortiz's victory in the Dec. 7 bout."

Mange told ESPN that TDLR was just following its normal protocol in the Ortiz case.

"[A fighter will] say, 'Hey, I've been prescribed this, FYI,'" she said. "We say, 'Great.' And then when it actually comes up, oftentimes we'll take a second look at it just to make sure. That's what happened in this case."

Ortiz (21-12-1) beat Rodriguez, better known as former WWE champion Alberto Del Rio, with a rear-naked choke submission at 3:10 of the first round in the main event of a pay-per-view card in McAllen, Texas. The fight was billed as MMA vs. WWE and Ortiz was granted Rodriguez's old WWE title belt after the victory.

Ortiz, 45, is one of the most popular fighters in MMA history, one of the building blocks when the UFC rose to popularity in the aughts. "The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" is 5-1 since leaving the UFC in 2012. In the UFC, Ortiz was the second greatest light heavyweight champion in history after Jon Jones, with five successful title defenses."

Tl;Dr version: After speaking with doctor, the commission was like "alright Tito ur cool now sry bout dat"

Last edited:
That Texas commission is a real crap fest. What are they doing down there?

This is like the complete reverse of the Hardy situation with the same commission lol

'Ortiz, 45, is one of the most popular fighters in MMA history,'

Reading this forum and the amount of flack he receives, you wonder how that can be?
Not that it matters but I always loved his fights and after watching TUF thought he was a pretty decent bloke

Should still be considered a loss fighting a 50 year old entertainer with minimal combat experience in front of 100 people

'Ortiz, 45, is one of the most popular fighters in MMA history,'

Reading this forum and the amount of flack he receives, you wonder how that can be?
Not that it matters but I always loved his fights and after watching TUF thought he was a pretty decent bloke

Exchange "popular" with "well known"

People bought PPV events to see him get smashed.

Wait, they spoke to the dr....like over the phone?

Hey bob, if the commission calls say you’re my dr and you prescribed me this medication haha!

Exchange "popular" with "well known"

People bought PPV events to see him get smashed.
And it was great when Chuck and Randy annihilated Tito “For the Troops” Ortiz.

Titi was one of the first to cut massive amounts of weight so he would always have a huge size advantage.

Never been a fan.

Tito must have been pulsing. No telling how long metabolites stay stored in that gigantic melon

Saying Tito is fine after all is a stretch no matter what the circumstances.

I'd sue the shit out of them for the mess. Now people will just remember the first story and think of him as a cheat

Despite all the gear he was most likely on, Tito showed that he was one of the greatest light heavyweights of the night

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back