Should knees to head from bottom side control and upkicks from guard be legal?

CaesarSinclair34

Intercontinental Championship Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I understand that the optics of soccer kicks and knees to head from top sprawl, top side control or top north south are bad, but knees from side control bottom like the ones Conor hit Khabib with and upkicks like the one Silva koed Okami with don't look as bad. Bottom fighters should have more weapons in MMA.

Not sure how you'd write the rule in rule book but i feel like its common sense for these strikes to be legal. What do you think?

0Kuwg1.gif

PYGR.gif

Last edited:
Either legal for both or not legal for either

Kicks to the head of a grounded opponent should be legal as long as both fighters are grounded.

Knees are more problematic. I don't think it would be a good idea to make any rule that makes certain strikes legal when on the bottom and illegal when on top. How would you define on the bottom?

Should be able to knee a head from a failed TD shot. Would get rid of so many boring fights.

yes the amount of illegal shit in MMA is stupid

pride rules with kicks knees and stomps with elbows would be ideal.

Bring back soccer kicks and knee's to the head of a downed opponent either top or bottom position.

Knees to the head should be legal on the ground period. Whether you're on your back or not. Upkicks I can get behind too. Only thing I'm hesitant on is soccer kicks to downed opponents and stomps to the head.

Absolutely yes.

And look at Mr. Nurmagomedov look for the ref. It always makes me smile when dudes act tough and then look for daddy.

This guy says head kicks all the time. His opponent spent a good portion of the fight crawling on the mat to avoid kicks. Eventually the guy said ‘Fuck it’ and kicked the guy in the head anyways.

All strikes to the head of a down-opponent should be legal. It will stop a lot of "early stoppage" fans crying nonsense. If you go down and you have your wits about you, then defend the soccer kick that is coming to your face.

By disallowing strikes to the head of a down-opponent, the rules are low-key saying that a fight should end when a fighter goes down, because it is no longer in a position to defend itself.

Yes, I've been harping about this like a broken record for over a decade here, hence my sig :)

This guy says head kicks all the time. His opponent spent a good portion of the fight crawling on the mat to avoid kicks. Eventually the guy said ‘Fuck it’ and kicked the guy in the head anyways.

lol, what a great example of how shit the Unified Rules are - fucking awesome result

All strikes to the head of a down-opponent should be legal. It will stop a lot of "early stoppage" fans crying nonsense. If you go down and you have your wits about you, then defend the soccer kick that is coming to your face.

By disallowing strikes to the head of a down-opponent, the rules are low-key saying that a fight should end when a fighter goes down, because it is no longer in a position to defend itself.
So you want to see someone who cant defend themselves eat a soccer kick or stomp?

Back