Tony Ferguson and more unorthodox training with tires

Verace

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

I hope this is also an old clip.

<Prem974>

Tony Ferguson the type of guy to be the wheels on his car .

People in Thailand kick trees down, maybe a tire is a bit weird but it's a valid thing to do to strengthen the shin.
Having a kick checked is literally the most painful thing I've experienced in mma and I've been KO'd

Discount tire or Tires Plus needs to sign this man to an endorsement deal ASAP.

Here is a actual video of Tony preparing for Khabib’s slams and throws:

source.gif

Kicking tires for shin conditioning is not unusual. If you think about it it's the perfect material. Hard enough to tuffen up the shins but not hard enough to shatter the bones. I've seen Wonderboy do it as well and he's as traditional as they come

People in Thailand kick trees down, maybe a tire is a bit weird but it's a valid thing to do to strengthen the shin.
Having a kick checked is literally the most painful thing I've experienced in mma and I've been KO'd

Yeah, the tougher your shins are, the harder the material you can use to condition your shins even more. But still it obviously can't be too hard. The tire is much better than the steel pipe he used in that old clip.

Yeah, the tougher your shins are, the harder the material you can use to condition your shins even more. But still it obviously can't be too hard. The tire is much better than the steel pipe he used in that old clip.
A tire would be good because you can kick it hard with no fear of fracturing the shin.
I've had bad shin injuries just from having kicks checked and I've had a cast iron pan dropped on my foot with barely any pain, most people don't realise how tough it is to properly condition shins to compete.

Tony the type of guy to be a percussionist for Slipknot
No way dude. Joey Jordison is one of the GOAT metal drummers. Not a fan of the band but that drummer is LIT.

EDIT: Oh you're talking about those extra guys that beat oil barrels and shit

Im confused...

When you all say "toughen your shins"...what does that mean?

Toughen the skin?

Toughen the bone?

Killing the nerves so you don't feel the pain?

Im confused...

Toughen the skin?

Toughen the bone?

Bones get stronger/denser when you inflict micro damage on them much like muscles.

Skin also toughens which makes you less likely to get cuts if you get checked and I think takes a bit of the pain away.

Killing the nerves might also be part of it. It's still a painful area but not AS painful when you get used to it

Im confused...

Toughen the skin?

Toughen the bone?

pretty sure it adds calluses (Might be the wrong word) to the bone and it kills the nerves.
The bones do get tougher, like I said earlier I dropped a cast iron pan on my foot (should've broke it easily) and was 100% fine. It really is tough to do though and takes plenty of pain, my shin bones have bumps and divots from conditioning them

Being kicked in the back up singers hurts more than checking I think. To each their own. I find muay thai entirely too painful.

Back