Islam Makachev is not champ material

AlanGregson

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
He doesn't have the confidance that Khabib has, he can barely speak English, he's not good on the mic, his wrestling doesn't seem to be on the same level as Khabib, he was having legit trouble vs at that time a 22 year old guy making his debut Arman Tsarukyan, his chin seems to be suspect and his standup although more fluid than Khabib isnt enough to make him a champ, he's well rounded but doesnt really have that thing that separates him from the rest, i dont see him becoming a champ in a stacked division like LW.
<Fedor23>

yeah, definitely not.

people can keep acting like he's some sort of elite killer that people are terrified of though, with no notable wins.

Today, objectively, among all the current LW fighters, other than habib and tony he's the most dominant one, maybe with ferreira too ?

Now we can criticize the lvl of competition which is totally fair ( even though he beat some hard stylistic match ups, adcc winner, D1 wrestler etc ), that's why it is really time for him to face some top 10 guys, hopefully Al or Cowboy is next.

I would bet on him against many top 10 LW guys, other than gaethje, tony and habib obviously who are really bad match up for him.

I think he made a mistake by not going on US medias, like the helwani show to promote himself, probably listening to his weird manager ...

Last edited:
And there were people on here who also thought that Khabib was not champ material either....

I knew this a long time ago when his glass chin got shattered, no wonder he holds on for dear life when he fights.

I knew this a long time ago when his glass chin got shattered, no wonder he holds on for dear life when he fights.
many fighters have been TKOed in their career and still manage to get the belt ... in fact it is the case for the majority of them.

MMA is not boxing, losing is not the end of a career.

Last edited:
Yeah but he KO Tibau. mma math says he is better than khabib.

He had been Ko'd once in his whole career due to reckless mistake and now he's chinny. Good grief the weed is too strong for some to take.

many fighters have been TKOed in their career and still manage to get the belt ... in fact the it is the case for the majority of them.

MMA is not boxing, losing is not the end of a career.

yes, but how many of them have lost to UFC fighters who are no longer in the UFC?

Khabib didn't get knocked out by Adriano Martins tho

And ? Islam made a mistake, didnt want to listen Abdulmanap who told him NOT to strike and then paid for it. Happens to a lot of fighters. Deal with it.

I don't see all the hype in "fighters are ducking him" but he is good. I think he could crack top 10 if he gets the right matchups. I think he beats most ranked under Kevin Lee #9 except for CDF and maaaaybe Olivera.

I can't see him beating strikers like Felder or Hooker that could stuff the wrestling though. His striking is still pretty basic judging from his last fight.

He doesn't have the confidance that Khabib has, he can barely speak English, he's not good on the mic, his wrestling doesn't seem to be on the same level as Khabib, he was having legit trouble vs at that time a 22 year old guy making his debut Arman Tsarukyan, his chin seems to be suspect and his standup although more fluid than Khabib isnt enough to make him a champ, he's well rounded but doesnt really have that thing that separates him from the rest, i dont see him becoming a champ in a stacked division like LW.
<Fedor23>
Do you think Dan Ducker would beat him?

I think it's unfair to definitely say he doesn't have what it takes so early on.
We should wait for his next fights.

I remember people saying Khabib is a one dimensional hype train before as well (when he was 24 or 25-0) so yeah, let's just wait a bit and see, i guess.

And ? Islam made a mistake, didnt want to listen Abdulmanap who told him NOT to strike and then paid for it. Happens to a lot of fighters. Deal with it.

lol i have dealt with it.

it's not just that fight, it's everything. there's about a million Dagestani's in MMA and there is absolutely nothing special that pops out about him. i can't even remember the last time i watched him fight.

he's not comparable to Khabib because Khabib was not only undefeated but he was basically crushing most of his competition. insanely dominant style. sure, he had a few hiccups like the Tibau fight, but he still won. Islam had a hiccup and got knocked the fuck out in 1 rd.

unless it's at HW, nobody gets KO'd by chumps and becomes a champion. people can lose, and recover, but getting stopped in the 1st rd? i don't know any fighters who got done like that by some nobody and became a champion.

I don't see all the hype in "fighters are ducking him" but he is good. I think he could crack top 10 if he gets the right matchups. I think he beats most ranked under Kevin Lee #9 except for CDF and maaaaybe Olivera.

I can't see him beating strikers like Felder or Hooker that could stuff the wrestling though. His striking is still pretty basic judging from his last fight.
Lol he would ragdoll Felder and Hooker

lol i have dealt with it.

it's not just that fight, it's everything. there's about a million Dagestani's in MMA and there is absolutely nothing special that pops out about him. i can't even remember the last time i watched him fight.

he's not comparable to Khabib because Khabib was not only undefeated but he was basically crushing most of his competition. insanely dominant style. sure, he had a few hiccups like the Tibau fight, but he still won. Islam had a hiccup and got knocked the fuck out in 1 rd.

unless it's at HW, nobody gets KO'd by chumps and becomes a champion. people can lose, and recover, but getting stopped in the 1st rd? i don't know any fighters who got done like that by some nobody and became a champion.

Lol, anyone can get KO'd if you don't pay attention and yes even cans win and have good moments sometimes. You may as well say you don't like Islam, that would be fine and much more honest that this deluded, ignorant post. You are basicaly saying that 'good fighters don't loose to cans' well, guess what ? Yes they do, especially in their early career.

Back