Who deserves the title shot less? Yoel or Aldo

DS66

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Both Yoel and Aldo as getting fairly undeserved title shots coming off losses. Who do you think deserves it less?

In Yoel's case, at least it was made clear that Costa was next in line for the title shot and Yoel's only getting it cause Costa's injured. With Costa out, it makes some sense that Yoel would be next in line as he lost a close decision to him in his last fight (and lost a super close decision to the champ in his previously fight, which a lot of people thought he should have won). And there really aren't many other MW's deserving of the TS, other than Cannonier who doesn't really have any top wins. The optics don't look very good coming off two losses., but when you consider all the factors, it isn't so bad. Deserve rating - 6/10

For Aldo, he lost a very close decision to Marlon (which a lot of people thought he won) in his BW debut. The problem here is that there a bunch of other top BW contenders who are healthy and have proven themselves (Aljo, Sandhagen, Yan, Marlon). It's extremely tough to objectively make a case for Aldo deserving a shot at the BW title. But he's an all-time great and that certainly plays a part in it. Deserve rating - 3/10

I would say Romero only because he got the shot by default with Costa being injured.

Aldo

Cejudo should be fighting Joe Benavidez

Cejudo is ducking Petr Yan badly.

It's just a matter of time that guy becomes champ, either past his prime Aldo or FLW Cejudo will be beaten.

Moraes and Sterling are probably toughest fights for him than the 2 guys that are fighting for the title.

Aldo.

At least Romero has won fights in the weight division before.

I’m very confused about Aldo. I thought he just lost to Moraes, albeit a very close fight. Shouldn’t Moraes just get another crack?

They’re probably throwing Aldo a bone because he didn’t get an instant rematch vs Conord

Aldo clearly beat Marlon 29-28 and had him running for his life

Costa clearly beat Romero 29-28

Aldo deserves it for arguably winning vs Marlon (and looking good) when everyone thought he would be finished by Marlon. Also big star in Brazil.

I would say Romero only because he got the shot by default with Costa being injured.

Not only that, Israel personally wanted to fight Romero. He called him out. He wanted to beat Romero for his legacy.

Aldo should have won
He is also the 145 longest champ and a ufc legend.

Yoel has never held the title

Aldo deserves it way more than yoel

Dana has been warming us up to BS like this for awhile.

He's laying groundwork to make undeserved title shots the norm, $$$'s over everything is the name of the game for the ESPN era.

The only reason he's not throwing Colin into a TS is due to Khabib's vehement opposition to it, it'd be too bad for PR.

Not only that, Israel personally wanted to fight Romero. He called him out. He wanted to beat Romero for his legacy.

It's a great fight for Izzy and his legacy. Regardless of Romero's recent record, what is he 1-3? He's still the most proven MW on the roster with some high quality wins. Romero is the last of MW division of 2014 to 2018 which was the best the UFC had.

Aldo has one fight at BW. A close decision vs a gunshy Moraes after Moraes got overwhelmed by Cejudo.

At FW Aldo was put out of contention with 2 beatdowns by Holloway and a loss to the new champ.

Cejudo pretty much put it out there that he picked Aldo for a bigger fight than he'd get facing more deserving BW contenders.

I'd say Aldo. At least I understand why they made the Romero/Adesanya fight. Have they even publicly tried to rationalize the Cejudo/Aldo fight? What a fucking joke that will be.

Aldo definitely doesn’t not deserve it less.

Reverse deserve rating: -5/10

Back