Dynamic Round Scoring

Gensoking

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I think the weight of strikes should be scored a bit dynamically in MMA. To summarize a bit: strikes like leg kicks should be scored with a default weight in mind like any sig. strike and then potentially changed later in the fight as it develops what kind of effect it had on the fight.

This kind of sounds like a butthurt post about Felder vs Hooker, but it isn't, I promise, I was just thinking about that fight and came up with this sort of idea.

In round 1 Hooker landed a ton of leg kicks to Felder and then didn't really continue to do so in the later rounds. I don't believe that Felder let those kicks effect his gameplan and they didn't seem to compromise his movement, power, etc. Thus, in retrospect, I think those leg kicks should lose some "weight" in scoring value as they did land but did not seem to effect the fight very much. It's kind of the opposite idea of scoring a knockdown punch so heavily.

Realistically, this may be hard for judges to keep in mind and implement as the fight goes on, but I thought it was at least worth discussion.

Edit: And, obviously, scored more heavily if they do effect the fighter as the fight goes on.

They'd have to actually watch the fight to begin with

They'd have to actually watch the fight to begin with
Some kind of force gauge in gloves and stuff with a computer judge would be ideal, especially in the era of the MLB starting to try an electronic strikezone, but I don't know how truly viable that is.

Some kind of force gauge in gloves and stuff with a computer judge would be ideal, especially in the era of the MLB starting to try an electronic strikezone, but I don't know how truly viable that is.
Why not just make them actually watch the fight?

You'd only know if the strikes amounted to anything at the end of the fight. So if someone landed a bunch of leg kicks in the first two rounds and then stopped, in the moment they would be meaningful but if at the end of the fight nothing happened because of them it would require the judges to go back and rescore rounds which would cause all sorts of havoc.

It isn’t that hard. There needs to be a score for a draw round, slight edge, clear win, domination, and how the hell did he survive that. Announce the score at the end of the round and if draw, another sudden death round,or have judges vote on who won fight.
I don’t care so much about very close pick em fights but we have a lot of fights where the winner is out pointed because a 10/9:round is the main score and it represents a draw to at times, complete domination.

I agree with dabouv. Having judges vote should be done to be determined of the winner.

Back