Close rounds are ruining the sport. They should be scored 10-10.

Not A Real Fan

Deep State Agent assigned to monitor Sherdog
Banned
Reaction score
The notion that every round, no matter how close, must have a winner is misguided. A lot of robberies and "robberies" often come down to who "won" these close rounds. Since these rounds are close there is always going to be a sharp difference of opinion.

Close rounds that "have to" have a winner turns spectators into judges thus making the fights less fun. I should not have to recall every single action in a round to come up with a winner.

If a winner is not obvious at the end of a round then there is no winner
. Score the round 10-10. Full stop. No need to over analyze and replay the round in your head in order to pick a "winner." A winner should be obvious.

I'm not saying you have to put a 10-8 beating on an opponent to win a round. But Fighter A outlanding Fighter B 25 to 24 should not make them a winner. You cant "win" by a hair or by an inch. You need to make them visibly stagger, back up, retreat, shell up, etc., to say nothing of knockdowns or takedowns.

We cant stop close rounds but the commissions can stop the consequences of a close round. Liberal scoring of 10-10 is the way to go.

The notion that every round, no matter how close, must have a winner is misguided. A lot of robberies and "robberies" often come down to who "won" these close rounds. Since these rounds are close there is always going to be a sharp difference of opinion.

Close rounds that "have to" have a winner turns spectators into judges thus making the fights less fun. I should not have to recall every single action in a round to come up with a winner.

. Score the round 10-10. Full stop. No need to over analyze and replay the round in your head in order to pick a "winner." A winner should be obvious.

I'm not saying you have to put a 10-8 beating on an opponent to win a round. But Fighter A outlanding Fighter B 25 to 24 should not make them a winner. You cant "win" by a hair or by an inch. You need to make them visibly stagger, back up, retreat, shell up, etc., to say nothing of knockdowns or takedowns.

We cant stop close rounds but the commissions can stop the consequences of a close round. Liberal scoring of 10-10 is the way to go.

There would be lots more draws.

You ok with that?

Don't leave it in the hands of the judges, because we've paid them off!

- Kenny Florian

"I shouldn't have to recall every moment in a close round to come up with a winner"

Sounds like you should be a mma judge.

Just use health bar's who ever has the most health left at the end of the fight win's simple, why do we always have to complicate shit?

maxresdefault.jpg

A sudden death round would be awesome. No excuse for coasting and thinking you did enough.

When you feel like you're splitting hairs at the end of a round to decide who won, it should be 10-10.

If you aren't certain who you felt won the round when it ends, it should be a 10-10

LOL. I am sure fans will love events where 1/3 of the fights are draws. 10-10 scoring is not the answer, because even rounds are not the problem. Subjectivity is the real problem, and reducing it is the only real answer.

It's not close rounds. It's judges. And they ruin every sport where outcomes are so reliant on subjectivity. Sports like MMA, Boxing, Gymnastics, Figure Skating etc....

Even in sports that have traditional scoring mechanisms (Soccer, Football, Baseball, Basketball, hockey, etc) a subjective call by an umpre or ref can have an oversized impact on the outcome.

This and or live round by round scoring.
Yeah. With the do or die round, don't have it where they stand by the ref and then get the results or anything, just have it tallied when they're in their corner waiting for the result. It would also give them an extra wind. It's a better scenario than what we've been getting or constant draws. There would be no excuse for not giving it your all. There's potential for some crazy fireworks and in a lot of cases I think the fans and company would want the fight to go there.

No the judges should use critical thinking to determine who won a round. Fighters will start doing just enough to win to get consistent draws instead of actively going for the W. Bad plan.

i had 2, 4 5 Felder. but 2 and 5 were so close i could easily change with a rewatching.
something said they had 1 for felder and i thought hooker handled him that round. can't blame the judges if fans can't agree either

We definitely need to do something about close rounds. The new scoring criteria tries to fix that by saying that if the striking/grappling is equal, then you can ask yourself, who is more aggressive? That person wins the round. If aggression is equal, you ask, who is controlling the octagon? If everything is still equal, it's a 10-10.

The problem is a lot of that is hard to judge on the fly. There's a 30s rest between rounds and then you immediately have to start scoring the 2nd round. I think judges should have the Compubox numbers in front of them after every round. If the grappling/striking appears to be even, you then look at who was the most aggressive and you look at the Compubox numbers. If the person that was more aggressive and had the more significant strikes, they win the round.

even when incredibly close, if you feel 1 fighter did even a little bit more, then you should give him the round. However if you have some super close rounds that are scored 10-9, then you should be more willing to give a 10-8 when a round is not close. They dont give out 10-8's enough imo.

Here’s the problem. Most of these rounds are not considered “too close to call” by the Individual judges.

It’s only after the fact when We see that 12 people scored the round 7 one way, 5 the other that we as a group suggest the round was too close to call.

So now you’re asking a judge to contemplate “will or could this round be seen different by others? If so I’d better call it 10-10, even though it’s clear to me that fighter A win.”

Truly, that is a “fix” that is worse than the original problem.

Get some perspective people. Judging problems have plagued sports forever. Ice skating in the Olympics has this problem. You are not unique.

I agree, and adding half-point scoring would be even better.

I don't think saying "you didn't win the round decisively enough" fixes anything. If anything can use an adjustment, it's fans attitudes towards the warriors who "lose" a close fight.

or make 10/9 a close win, 10/8 clear advantage , 10/7 and 10/6 for serious damage and how did he survive that. The current default is 10/9 and that can be a pick em round or one that is total domination. Right now a guy could slide through with two pick ems, get beaten down and barely survive and it’s a draw. The numbers themselves aren’t the issue, it’s that the current system basically has two scores and one of them in underused.

That's why they made it easier to get 10-8s under the new scoring, which is coming at the same problem from a slightly different angle.

For reasons that I don't really understand Americans seem to HATE draws though. No matter how good a fight is, if it's a draw then the crowd boo like crazy.

..but I agree ts.

or make 10/9 a close win, 10/8 clear advantage , 10/7 and 10/6 for serious damage and how did he survive that. The current default is 10/9 and that can be a pick em round or one that is total domination. Right now a guy could slide through with two pick ems, get beaten down and barely survive and it’s a draw. The numbers themselves aren’t the issue, it’s that the current system basically has two scores and one of them in underused.

exactly this. 10-9 should be extremely close round could go either way, 10-8 for clear win, 10-7 for ass whooping, 10-6 for how did he not died?

Back