Paul Kelly's Too Extreme UFC Weight Cuts

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I0000JEmE6Y_0v0o.jpg

I should have never went to lightweight. If you look at my record, my only losses – and this is no (expletive) whatsoever. When I fought Matt Veach, B.J. Penn came in to talk to me. I was close friends with B.J., and he came to talk to me. When he came in to talk to me, I was standing at the scales, just about to make weight.

"Hey, Paul."

"Aye, B.J."

"Are you OK?"

I literally could not see him because my eyes were blanked out. As he leaves the room, I spoke to my brother and Mark Scanlon.

"Is he gone?"

As soon as he said, "Yeah," my body dropped and hit the floor. I fainted. I woke up with them pulling my tongue out of my mouth. I won that fight. I was lucky.

When I fought – what was that prick’s name who just laid on top of me for 15 minutes? Jacob Volkmann. When I fought Jacob Volkmann, my body dried up. I remember Renzo Gracie or someone scraping me with a card. I was completely dry in the sauna. I couldn’t get more weight off.

"Look, I’m sorry," I said. "I’ve never done this before, but I can’t make it. I’m a pound-and-a-half over."

We’re in the back of the arena and talking to Mark Scanlon.

"Look, son," he said. "You’ve never not made weight in your life. Let’s get in the back. We’ve got an hour. Let’s get it done."

I put the shower on and jumped in. I made the weight. Then after that, my body shut down. I couldn’t digest the sugars. While I was sitting there eating, I started vomiting.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/02/ex-ufc-fighter-paul-kelly-lessons-learned-prison-mma-comeback

Last edited:
Paul Kelly wasnt exactly the leanest individual to begin with.

You can call his cuts extreme, but they were made extreme by his diet of disgusting fried english foods.

Still can’t believe he just got out of prison for dealing heroine. He had a couple good fights. His first fight against Paul Taylor was fun. Hope he’s doing better, I know he has a child

Not to change the subject, but I still don't understand why guys assume "I'm very good at X weightclass; therefore, I'll be unbeatable one weightclass below."

Looking at Bellator last night, Ruth was undefeated and entertaining to watch at 185. However, his star seems to have lost some shine once he cut to 170. He lost twice and looked listless.

Same with Honeycutt too.

Oh, and Shields beats Dan Henderson at 185, signs with the UFC, cuts to 170 and looks slow against Kampmann

Damn, I remember when he went to prison. Sentence was 15 years, guess he got out early. He was moving a ton of heroin, too. Not a little bit.

I wonder of they'll ever be able to show what effects those weight cuts have on a fighters body when they age? It's got to murderer your internal organs..

You can call his cuts extreme, but they were made extreme by his diet of disgusting fried english foods.

Yuck. When your country’s most famous food is Fish & Chips.

Disgusting is right.

<{clintugh}>

You can call his cuts extreme, but they were made extreme by his diet of nommy nom nom fried english foods.

fixed buddeh

Yuck. When your country’s most famous food is Fish & Chips.

Disgusting is right.

<{clintugh}>
What do you know, you uneducated buffoon?
Fish and Chips and is the best food you have never tasted. Otherwise you would retract your blasphemous statement.
But you are too busy being ignorant to understand that our most famous food is the sandwich.

Damn, I remember when he went to prison. Sentence was 15 years, guess he got out early. He was moving a ton of heroin, too. Not a little bit.
He has been out almost a couple of years now. He has a food business set up; Healthybox. Seems to be doing okay. He is also back on a card, as a welterweight.

This is one reason I laugh at people who dont believe everyone is on PEDs, you know he goes through that kind of hell and suffering to have a slight advantage in a fight but dont think theyll use a pain free poke of a needle that will give a huge advantage

What do you know, you uneducated buffoon?
Fish and Chips and is the best food you have never tasted. Otherwise you would retract your blasphemous statement.
But you are too busy being ignorant to understand that our most famous food is the sandwich.

[<dunn]

Back