Conors depth of competition.

frye666

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He has a few names.
Aldo. Good win. Lucky shot win. Refused rematch.
Alerez. Good win and looked great.
Cowboy. Cowboy is just a shell of himself.
Nate. Won one lost one.
Khabib. Got brutalized.
Mendes. Out of shape call up Mendes busted Conor up and controlled him until he gassed.
Max. Well, max was a child at the time soo...
Poirier. Good win.
No one else is worth mentioning.
That is NOT a great resume for "strength of competition" against almost every other fighter that has been ranked top 5.

McGregor's resume isn't great, but it's very good. Better than Khabib's.

Systematically cheapening every win is the pathetic practice MMA fans engage in, regardless of which fighter they are attacking.

Majority of Conors wins are by ko or tko, and there is a conspiracy about each one. People cant just face the fact that he has outclassed the people he has beat.

Excuse after excuse.

Lucky punch, he wasnt in shape, he wasnt as good when conor fought him as he is now, he was nervous, he had diarrhea, ect ect ect

Systematically cheapening every win is the pathetic practice MMA fans engage in, regardless of which fighter they are attacking.
I did not cheapen his wins. If he won a good fight he won. The Max fight for instance. Conor himself lost to Joe Duffy when he was young. Young fighters sometimes lose.
Mendes?
SHERDOG SCORES
Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Mendes
Chris Nelson scores the round 10-9 Mendes
Jeff Sherwood scores the round 10-9 Mendes
And the only other fight I can think that you are taking issue with is the Aldo fight. I mean, just ask on here and see the replies.

Conor knocking out Aldo is better than anything Khabib has on his resume.

His resume is incredibly good based on how many fights he's had in the UFC, he just hasn't been as active or had as much time in the UFC as some others.

He has a few names.
Aldo. Good win. Lucky shot win. Refused rematch.
Alerez. Good win and looked great.
Cowboy. Cowboy is just a shell of himself.
Nate. Won one lost one.
Khabib. Got brutalized.
Mendes. Out of shape call up Mendes busted Conor up and controlled him until he gassed.
Max. Well, max was a child at the time soo...
Poirier. Good win.
No one else is worth mentioning.
That is NOT a great resume for "strength of competition" against almost every other fighter that has been ranked top 5.

If Cowboy was "just a shell" then why did, and do, so many Sherdoggers think Justin Gaethje deserves a title shot or #1 contender match?

Who has Justin Gaethje even beat if Cowboy was so washed up. You know, considering he beat him a mere 4 months before McGregor did. And it's 100% undeniable that fighting at 170lbs was an advantage for Cerrone more so than for McGregor on top of that.

So Gaethje was 2-2 with wins over James Vick (lol) and Edson Barboza - who is 1-4 in his last 5 fights so can we just call him washed to prove a point too? and losses to Alvarez and Porier whom McGregor has both beaten.

Just saying, not sure why everyone was crying about McGregor likely getting a title shot over Gaethje. Obviously McGregor pulls in wayyyyy more PPV numbers and money, and even in terms of straight up merit I think McGregor deserves it more honestly. But in terms of this thread...McGregor has a great resume'. I'll go one step farther than very good, it's great. How many simultaneous champs have there ever been, like 4?

McGregor dethroned the GOAT FW, never lost at FW, and won two belts at once. / thread.

His resume is incredibly good based on how many fights he's had in the UFC, he just hasn't been as active or had as much time in the UFC as some others.
He is 10-2 in the UFC. With a few good wins. Depth of competition was the key here to this thread. IE. Jake Shiels has wins over Woodley, Condit, Daley, Lawler, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Kampmann, Woodley, and Maia for example. You can have a great record if you don't fight a lot of top guys. And you can have a 22-2 record if you only fight 2 top guys. The point is that Conor has not had the same kind of dead man walking type of competition that a lot of the other guys have had.

Except he beat Conor lol.

He did, and it was a definitive win. I'm not arguing that McGregor is a better fighter than Khabib. I don;t think he is. But he's got a better resume, although Khabib's is certainly getting better. Khabib beating Ferguson would go a long way toward evening things up.

He is 10-2 in the UFC. With a few good wins. Depth of competition was the key here to this thread. IE. Jake Shiels has wins over Woodley, Condit, Daley, Lawler, Jason Miller, Dan Henderson, Kampmann, Woodley, and Maia for example. You can have a great record if you don't fight a lot of top guys. And you can have a 22-2 record if you only fight 2 top guys. The point is that Conor has not had the same kind of dead man walking type of competition that a lot of the other guys have had.

Jose Aldo (c), Khabib (c), Eddie Alvarez (c), Chad Mendes, Nate Diaz, Donald Cerrone, Dustin Porier, Max Holloway.

McGregor has faced and beaten all of them except Khabib. Three were UFC champions, and two were champions a weight class above his original. I believe this is a massive point all the McGregor detractors lose focus of - McGregor went UP a weight class, he's never lost at his "native" original weight class.

Would we completely shit on GSP's legacy if he lost at 185? Or Jones at HW? I don't think so. McGregor went up and won the 155 belt. Sure I do think a lot of things worked in his favor, and his massive drawing power and popularity have gotten him fast tracked to places he perhaps wouldn't have otherwise...but at the same time I think superfights between divisional champs have been available in the past and the lower weight class guys (usually) are just scared to move up.

Give credit where credit is due, McGregor moved up a weight class, and sort of 1.5 classes to fight at 170 for 3 fights against LW/WW tweeners as well. And you're naming Paul Daley, Jason Miller, and Kampmann lmao come on now. Also Strikeforce Woodley right, and Maia before he evolved? Jake Shields was a good fighter and fought for awhile, yeah he has good wins. Never won a UFC belt, sorry Strikeforce belts don't mean as much legacy wise.

Conor knocking out Aldo is better than anything Khabib has on his resume.
Apparently Khabib dominated Conor and also gave Conor chance to cheat more than 10 times or so throughout the whole fight.
So Conor beating Aldo is better than Khabib completely dominating Conor? Well well, you're one smart madafaka

LOL! Re read everything again.

What do I have to re-read, clearly you are the one not getting it.

Conor beating the GOAT FW, who was a top 3-5 GOAT at the time, by KO and winning the FW strap >>>>>>>>>>>>>> than anything Khabib has done in a singular fight.

No, beating McGregor doesn't top that or equal that. There was not some transitive property that gave McGregor all of Aldo's legacy.

Otherwise, Beating Chris Weidman would have been a better win than beating Anderson Silva (1st time by Weidman). Beating Volk right this moment would be a better win than Holloway at FW, etc. It doesn't work like that. Am I wrong here? I'm confused at this point.

Inb4 khabibs bathtub boys

He did, and it was a definitive win. I'm not arguing that McGregor is a better fighter than Khabib. I don;t think he is. But he's got a better resume, although Khabib's is certainly getting better. Khabib beating Ferguson would go a long way toward evening things up.
13 seconds doesn't tell us much at all that Conor is a better fighter than Aldo. Khabib has destroyed everyone he has faced and is undefeated in doing so barely losing a round. Conor has had the most favourable match ups and some very suspicious "wins". Aldo isn't Conors best win at all because of the circumstances. A year the UFC let him do what he wanted to break Aldo. No one in the history of the UFC has been treated like that. He was going to come out emotional swinging like a mad man. Then you got 2 week Mendez and ran from Diaz to win the second. His best win was probably Eddie which lets face it, was handed to him because they knew it was his best chance to be a LW Champ.

Back