Media How GOOD was Anderson Silva Actually?

Your Account

reacted to your score
@Silver
Reaction score
interesting overview of Anderson career

GOAT level, not like these modern day cans some neckbeards call GOAT like Conor.

he was the best

around

nothing's ever gonna...

-UFC record 16 fight win streak (17 overall)
-14 finishes (12 within 2 rounds)
-10 title defenses (should be 11)
-3 1st round LHW KOs (including vs top ranked one fight removed from being champ Forrest)

Anderson Silva is the GOAT

5-anderson-silva-bigmac.jpg

He was really good but he was always beatable. His opponents were beat before they came into the cage most of his UFC run. Fought scared

tenor.gif

He shone against really bad competition. Half his defences are against journey men. And he most likely was on peds his whole career so it’s kind of a bit meh imo and puts a big question mark over his accomplishments.

Meh - if you go back to UFC fights from 2000-2010 (I did this recently) - you'll see that there was a HUGE difference how people looked before USADA came in. Sure - Anderson was probably on PED's his whole career, but so was his competition for the most part.

He was ok, had a lot of lucky wins, I wouldn’t call him a can but once weidman exposed him he lost his aura of invincibility and people realized he was just a moderately skilled fighter that had a lot of favorable matchups and got away with years of steroid abuse.

Two types of GOAT's thus far in MMA, the ones who can keep a huge win streak going in a super dominating, but for lack of a better term, safe way ie. GSP and Jones. And then you have guys who can keep a huge win streak going in an absolute reckless, risky fashion ie Anderson and Fedor. There was pretty much no question that Anderson was going to shit on whoever he was fighting, and in a savage way, for almost a decade. So he was pretty damn good. The lack of competition argument is ridiculous.

tenor.gif

He shone against really bad competition. Half his defences are against journey men. And he most likely was on peds his whole career so it’s kind of a bit meh imo and puts a big question mark over his accomplishments.
Nah, not the way I see it. I think he made his opponents look weak because he had such emphatic finishes. Being unable to finish opponents makes bigger question marks.

he was the best in the world at 170(or 167 at the time i believe). when he beat Sakurai for a brief period before Hughes became UFC champion and then he went on to be unquestionably the best middleweight of all time and possibly the most dynamic striker of all time. On a shortlist which is less than handful deep for GOAT in MMA history.

I mean, he is no Conor but he had his moments...

And he was never a friend of Dana

I always thought he was the most electrifying fighter in the history of MMA, but now that you mentioned it, and he is no longer champion and hasn't won a fight in the last 15 minutes, and Sherdog in general, is a binary-type situation...
giphy.gif

-UFC record 16 fight win streak (17 overall)
-14 finishes (12 within 2 rounds)
-10 title defenses (should be 11)
-3 1st round LHW KOs (including vs top ranked one fight removed from being champ Forrest)

Anderson Silva is the GOAT
Don't pretend that Forrest wasn't the weakest LHW champ in UFC history. Cherrypicked LHW fights. If we're gonna keep it real with GSP at MW, let's do the same with Silva's LHW tenure.

Unfortunately he took PED's, so it taints his legacy...
That being said, i think it's fair to say that he's one of, if not the best striker the sport has seen so far; certainly the best counter striker and an amazing fighter to watch, at least when he's not going overboard with the taunting.

Meh - if you go back to UFC fights from 2000-2010 (I did this recently) - you'll see that there was a HUGE difference how people looked before USADA came in. Sure - Anderson was probably on PED's his whole career, but so was his competition for the most part.
Right, but by the time USADA came in ANderson was already well past his prime... not to mention the fact that the pre-USADA era was a doping free-for-all in the UFC. Abstaining from roids/EPO/GH etc. was tantamount to allowing an opponent to take a few free shots to kick off a fight.

well....at the age of 42 or 43 he dragged the current ufc champion to the end of the third round, and howed some level of competitiviness. something that even a phenomenal fighter in whitaker couldnt do. i mean, u cannot call dan henderson, franklin, nick, journeyman. he is a solid candidate for goat

Back