Higher quality cards or frequent cards? Which do you prefer?

sdpdude9

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
So as we all know, the UFC has opted to have more frequent cards in more recent years, having a card nearly every weekend. So my question is, which do you prefer?

Do you prefer how it is now? Cards nearly every weekend, however often lacking quality with only a handful of meaningful fights? Still yet, there’s the odd stacked card, but they’re not as frequent.

Or do you prefer how it used to be? Only a card or a two a month, but was filled mostly with known names.

For me, while I enjoy having fights to watch just about any weekend I choose, I think I’d prefer the old way. Much more anticipation between cards and the events felt bigger. Also, not feeling committed to watch frequently as to not miss anything.

Frequent
I need as much violence as I can get idc who it is as long as they're going to war

Edit: it doesn't really matter but It does also give me an excuse to drink
Edit: a lot

Both

That's supposed to be the difference between televised and pay per view

Frequent cards.

The quality problem could be solved by the UFC making the sport more attractive (thus increasing the talent pool) by paying the fighters more.

Inb4 "wHy DoN't YoU dO dAnAs JoB tHeN?"

I’d like to say quality over quantity because there is nothing like getting hyped for a stacked ass card but I’ve got used to having a card basically every week. Not sure I could go back

I dont mind the shitty free cards every week

It's the shitty PPVs I can't stand

Every sport, there is a "Championship". Some sport even had 4 (golf and tennis). The UFC should have a 'Finale" card, stacked from top to bottom held at the end of the year. Call it the Champion of the Year or whatever you want to call it. This card is designed to blow up all other cards in terms of sheer numbers. Just like the SuperBowl, Stanley Cup finals, or Masters. I don't need to see a card a week featuring a bunch of no names fighters. Anderson/Blachowicz fight last weekend? Headlining? Please. That should be on the PreLims.

Frequent. Because a card with a lot of popular fighters does not mean it will always be a bunch of great fights. I don't want to wait a month for a great card on paper to turn into shit due to injuries or just mediocre fights.

How would everybody feel about a sort of compromise between the two? Make Fight Night cards focus more on lesser names and perhaps bring the quality down a little bit more in order to save most of the quality fights for stacked pay per views?

Frequent for me

There is no way to guarantee quality
The fights could suck
Injury bug
USADA

It's like people forgot that feeling when a card sucked or got hit by injuries and then we had to wait a month for the next one...And then that one might have sucked too

Frequent. I can choose whether I watch or not. It’s not 2010 anymore. The UFC has changed.

Conor 2.0 should ask part ownership of the UFC because without him the sport would die

Both

That's supposed to be the difference between televised and pay per view

I concur. I'd rather these espn+ fight night events had their headliners all moved to the nearest PPVs. Those fight nights are only appealing to the core fanbase, regardless.

I would not mind the frequency of cards if each were shorter. Instead of 13-14 fights, cap it at 8 fights.

Sporting events average three hours. No reason a MMA event should be 6-7 hours.

I think ideally, my level of fandom would prefer every three weeks alternating ppv and free card

however I assume they already did the math and a thin card every week with a few stacked cards is making them more money

They can have as many cards as they want, but the free cards should be where they put all the noobs that I've never heard of. The ppvs should be stacked with people I wanna see fight.

I prefer quality, but don't do the boxing thing where the main event is the only fight I give a shit about. Headlining free cards should be reserved for fights that will close the show...not people I recognize and belong on a ppv undercard.

I don't care about some random dude winning a fight on Uncle Fester's contender series. I just really couldn't care less. Don't try to feed me a shit sandwich and tell me how good it tastes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back