Fighters who didnt let age hold them back

Bu11etproof_JBE

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Everyone is all of the sudden talking about the young age of 32 like its the age that a fighter now declines just because Jon Jones happened have a bad performance combined with GSP retiring at 32, and Fedor having his first loss at 32.

Let's not forget about the massive list of fighters that have had success at a much later age.

-Chuck Liddell won the LHW title at 35.
-Randy Couture won the LHW title at 40, then went on to win the HW title at 44 and successfully defended it at 45.
-Anderson Silva didnt get dethroned until he was 37.

Chael Sonnen had his best performances in his mid 30s. Cung Lee had alot of success in his late 30s-early 40s, Mark Hunt, Vitor Belfort, Dan Henderson, etc as honorable mentions. I mean, the list goes on.

Lets not get this mythical "YoUr dOnE at 32!" nonsense in our heads based off a few performances.

Everyone is all of the sudden talking about the young age of 32 like its the age that a fighter now declines just because Jon Jones happened have a bad performance combined with GSP retiring at 32, and Fedor having his first loss at 32.

Let's not forget about the massive list of fighters that have had success at a much later age.

-Chuck Liddell won the LHW title at 35.
-Randy Couture won the LHW title at 40, then went on to win the HW title at 44 and successfully defended it at 45.
-Anderson Silva didnt get dethroned until he was 37.

Chael Sonnen had his best performances in his mid 30s. Cung Lee had alot of success in his late 30s-early 40s, Mark Hunt, Vitor Belfort, Dan Henderson, etc as honorable mentions. I mean, the list goes on.

Lets not get this mythical "YoUr dOnE at 32!" nonsense in our heads based off a few performances.

Age matters much much less than wear and tear.

Most of the guys you listed were juiced. And it’s not all about your actual age.

I don't think too many people think a fighter will necessarily experience a steep downfall at the age of 32 at all.

I think it's largely dependant on the individual, with fight-mileage being one of the biggest factors, but the weight class and the style of fighting itself also has an influence on when a fighter peaks/falls off.

And it's not even close....
herschel2elsf.0.jpg

Bisping was a better fighter at 38 than he was with two young eyes.

It's not the age, it's the overall career length. I bet none of those guys had a ton of success after about 10 years of mma training. Jones won the title in 2011. His days are numbered.

A better topic might be to name someone that's still on top after 15-20 years in mma. You can't. There are guys still fighting after that much time in the game, but at the highest levels they'd get destroyed.

A bunch guys who didn't let age beat them....also took anti-aging drugs

Different era of testing and skill, the only one competitive at old age in the current era of MMA is Romero.

Damn, I knew Jones was a long reigning champ, but I never really checked, remembered or bothered to realize he was champ since 2011. Even if he loses soon, what a fucking run!

A bunch guys who didn't let age beat them....also took anti-aging drugs

I can't believe Belfort hasn't been mentioned!

But to give these guys credit, Ken Shamrock also takes the anti-aging drugs and look where it's gotten him.

Damn, I knew Jones was a long reigning champ, but I never really checked, remembered or bothered to realize he was champ since 2011.

I think you're overlooking Daniel Cormier's reign in that chronology.

Back