Just watched Pereira V Sanchez and something glaring came out...

Wrath of Foamy

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
"If you feel like you cannot continue, then he will be disqualified and you will win".

Is it me, or is there something inherently screwed up about this quote, from the referee?

So Diego has been given a choice, to continue and certainly lose against a better fighter, or say that he cannot continue, claim a win and a bigger purse.

Should Diego have been given this choice? Or should the fight have just been resumed after the doctor have the all-clear?

Its not just him putting it to him that way,but his brains were also scrambled from the knee.

Its not just him putting it to him that way,but his brains were also scrambled from the knee.
its Diego......are we sure that it was the knee that scrambled them??

or maybe follow the rules and not throw a knee when he was clearly a downed opponent by all possible rule types in any US state?

I did feel at the time that Jason Herzog was coaching him a little.

Which is nuts because Herzog had the authority to call the DQ himself.

He took the easy way out. He said that he had broken ribs, so it's safe to say that knees to the ribs did a lot of more damage than the knee to the face

Meh enough of this.
Diego Sanchez is a washed, half crazy fighter who opted for a DQ win at the end of a fight he had no chance of winning.

Just cut him and move on.

"If you feel like you cannot continue, then he will be disqualified and you will win".

Is it me, or is there something inherently screwed up about this quote, from the referee?

So Diego has been given a choice, to continue and certainly lose against a better fighter, or say that he cannot continue, claim a win and a bigger purse.

Should Diego have been given this choice? Or should the fight have just been resumed after the doctor have the all-clear?

The ref was just making clear what happens next..

He was explaining procedure to a guy who was just kneed in the head..

What should of happen is herzog call off the fight and call it a DQ without involving the dr or diego...as it was a clear as day foul...thats the only other way to handle it IMO

No way that fight should of contuined ...in all fairness

I felt like the ref screwed up by not calling it all together. I understand diego getting up immediately and acting unfazed made that difficult, but that cut and that knee were just brutal. It shouldve been called by the ref, not left in the hands of some dude that took a blatant illegal knee to the dome

What’s strange to me is isn’t situations like this one often declared a “no contest”? Or is it a different parameter for that?

At the end of the day, Diegos opponent cheated and lost the fight because of his actions.

I feel like anybody who judges Diego poorly for his actions should be forced to get down on all fours and take a full forced knee to the head by an athletic and explosive 170 pound fighter. Then we can talk.

No, the referee should have stoped the fight and give Diego the DQ win even if Diego wanted to keep fighting.
If someone brake the rules and profits from that he should lose the fight.
Its not about diego is about stoping ilegal shots, a fighter should lose the fight after inflicting an eyepoke.
You will then see no fighter making fouls.

If the ref hadn't asked him, the fight would have continued.

I just watched it and something glaring came out for me too....PEREIRA BROKE THE RULES!

Seriously doesn’t matter how good he was doing or how bad Diego was losing up to that point, dude broke the rules and deserved a dq. You can’t just go in there and do anything you want.

If he can’t behave himself in there then go flip burgers for a living.

I felt like the ref screwed up by not calling it all together. I understand diego getting up immediately and acting unfazed made that difficult, but that cut and that knee were just brutal. It shouldve been called by the ref, not left in the hands of some dude that took a blatant illegal knee to the dome
He didnt seem unfazed to me, but then again hes weird already and it is hard to tell.

When he got up I may be mis remembering but didnt the ref say it was illegal and diego repeated it back to him in a confused tone?

Back