Is Aikido the most dangerous base for MMA?

Baba Ghanoush

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm looking into training to be a MMA fighter and wanted some input on why aikido is considered the most dangerous base for MMA. Some even say it's banned in the cage as an unwritten rule.

I've saved up some money to travel to Japan and seek out a master.

OH MY GOD
(Insert Michael Jordan Gif)

Absolutely.

Training Aikido for MMA could get you seriously hurt.

The best base for MMA that has been proven over and over again is good ol’ fashioned wrestling. Granted, one-dimensional wrestlers are no longer having the success they once had without adding to their game, but wrestlers still make the easiest transition

When you will be in Japan ask ppls where to find Master seagal

Best base for MMA is being an A-level athlete with KO power, like Francis Ngannou

Aikido practicioners are unathletic nerds, so no

No. Not really. I trained Aikido for a while. At the lower levels it relies on a lot of cooperation from your opponent. When practicing a lot of moves, I couldn't help but think "an overhand right would end this drill right now.." Not that more advanced practitioners couldn't hold their own in a real fight or MMA match, but you're better off training good old wrestling, Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai.

I'm looking into training to be a MMA fighter and wanted some input on why aikido is considered the most dangerous base for MMA. Some even say it's banned in the cage as an unwritten rule.

I've saved up some money to travel to Japan and seek out a master.
How old are you and what kind of discipline background do u have ?

Regarding Aikido - Dangerous for you not your opponent, if you're fighting against someone with a more adaptable martial art for MMA.

I'd say muay Thai would be a good base, because you can work on arm and leg coordination. Wrestling is important too, but I'd say it's more popular discipline in USA. Good to know something that others are statistically less likely to know.

No. Not really. I trained Aikido for a while. At the lower levels it relies on a lot of cooperation from your opponent. When practicing a lot of moves, I couldn't help but think "an overhand right would end this drill right now.." Not that more advanced practitioners couldn't hold their own in a real fight or MMA match, but you're better off training good old wrestling, Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai.
What posessed you to train aikido in this day and age with so much information?? The most advanced Aikido practioner would get killed by a highschool wrestler or a amateur boxer that trained for 3 months. Hell even a guy that trained tkd for a cpl months could probably destroy them

Yes and if you're gonna to fight someone, you have to tell them first that you're an Aikido master. You can get arrested otherwise.

Back