Big John McCarthy Says Judge Soliz Should Have Recused Himself

Should the fight result be overturned?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John McCarthy, a Bellator MMA analyst who is also a referee and judge instructor for the Association of Boxing Commissions and Combative Sports (ABC), as well as the creator of an ABC-accredited MMA referee and judging training school, said he considers Soliz’s situation a conflict of interest.

“The judge should have approached the athletic commission, depending on if the executive director is there or a lead inspector, [whoever is] the person that’s in charge of regulating that event at that venue that night,” McCarthy told TSN.

“If they found out while they’re there that this person is cornering someone and they see that they’re assigned to that fight, they should go to the executive director [or lead inspector] and tell them, ‘I have trained with that person, I have received my black belt from them and I want to recuse myself from this fight.’ Then it’s up to the commission on whether or not they can judge. Most will never allow you to judge a fight when you have that sort of background with a cornerman or fighter.

https://www.tsn.ca/joe-soliz-judged-bout-coached-by-former-trainer-at-ufc-247-1.1444786

John McCarthy, a Bellator MMA analyst who is also a referee and judge instructor for the Association of Boxing Commissions and Combative Sports (ABC), as well as the creator of an ABC-accredited MMA referee and judging training school, said he considers Soliz’s situation a conflict of interest.

“The judge should have approached the athletic commission, depending on if the executive director is there or a lead inspector, [whoever is] the person that’s in charge of regulating that event at that venue that night,” McCarthy told TSN.

“If they found out while they’re there that this person is cornering someone and they see that they’re assigned to that fight, they should go to the executive director [or lead inspector] and tell them, ‘I have trained with that person, I have received my black belt from them and I want to recuse myself from this fight.’ Then it’s up to the commission on whether or not they can judge. Most will never allow you to judge a fight when you have that sort of background with a cornerman or fighter.

https://www.tsn.ca/joe-soliz-judged-bout-coached-by-former-trainer-at-ufc-247-1.1444786
Agreed, the fact that he didn’t do the obviously professional thing to do makes this sketchy and it’s completely unfair to James Krause

Overturn - that is bush league. The guy shouldn't be judging any fights anymore after that mistake.

This is the only problem I have with retired fighters being judges.

It's tough to find guys who haven't cross trained or had arguments/beefs or friends or whatever. It could cause more problems than solutions

He should have disclosed, because that's what you do for transparency. And then would have left him on the fight because the relationship was so long ago. But no one would feel like there was something being hidden.

I seem to recall similar allegations against McCarthy for the infamous Bobby Green vs. James Krause lowblow fest.

4eae7c5b75acf459e02bf2851267d8b9.jpg

The end.

I don't know if it was a conflict of interest (because there was no obvious benefit to Soliz). But I think there was a bias at worst or the risk of a bias at best. In a close fight the bias could become more an issue. In any event he definitely should have recused himself whether he last saw the coach ten years ago or yesterday.

If you have a conflict, don't judge the fight.

I feel like there will never be impartial judging. Just keep making money off it lol

Soliz answered “no” to the question “Do you have a direct or indirect financial interest in the management of a contestant, manager or sanctioning body?” on his licensing application.

I think he should be stripped of his license immediately for this.

Krause doesn't sound too happy about it

"If this isn’t the most frustrating sh*t for me in the world I don’t know what... how is this not a conflict of interest? Training at someone’s gym for 10+ years and receiving a black belt from the coach corner[ing] my opponent.

I no way am I mad I lost the fight, it was close. 1 was mine, 2 was his, and 3 was a toss up. But round 3 was given to me on 2/3 cards. It was round 1 they scored for him. After a take down and almost 4 minutes of back control, not to mention almost finishing the RNC, I don’t know how they would give that round to him. This sport has been around for too long to not start making changes. I know the Texas State Athletic Commission wont do a damn thing about my fight. They never do but I hope the UFC, Dana White, and the state commissions can come together to actually make the judging for OUR sport, not boxing and hold the people doing these jobs accountable.This is a disgrace to our sport. Not just my fight but multiple examples of incompetence from the same judge.

So frustrated to even read this sh*t... and remember I lost half my purse because of this guy."

Definite grounds to overturn imo. You have a judge with potential bias. We cannot know if that effected his judgment and the athletic commission fucked up by having a judge with potential conflict of interest. It’s 100% questionable enough to overturn.

This is the only problem I have with retired fighters being judges.

It's tough to find guys who haven't cross trained or had arguments/beefs or friends or whatever. It could cause more problems than solutions
Me too. And it’s a big problem.

Beats overturning decisions...
And having unbiased and competent judges beats dOnT lEAvE iT iN tHe haNDs oF tHe jUDGeS.

That shouldn't be the fighters responsibility imo.

Me too. And it’s a big problem.
I think too many ppl overlook it. Once u weed out everyone u ever associated with ur left with noobs who know nothing lol

Back to square one. I gamble a lot on fights. I try to know who the refs judges and obviously what commission is being used... Just gotta know it all

Back