Media GSP Made $9000 in His First Championship Fight Against Matt Hughes

Sansnom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
- He made $1300 in his first ever professional fight at UCC. And that included a 15% or 20% cut from of his opponent's purse for missing weight.

- In his first UFC fight he got paid $3000 to show up and $3000 to win.

- In his first championship fight against Matt Hughes he was paid $9000 to show and $9000 to win. That was the fight he lost by submission.

Says the UFC were probably laughing their ass off, they had him for $9000, but says he didn't know his worth at the time. It was new for him and his entourage and they didn't know how it worked. It's only after he got himself a real team that he realized he could make a lot more money.

The first time he hit the 1 milllion dollar mark was in the Jon Fitch or Alves fight. He's not sure which one it was.

Says that as soon as the cheque was in his bank account he called the bank and asked them to payoff all of his parents debt. House, cars etc..

The interview is in french:

GOAT.
24o9g0g.gif
( just a beautiful reversal for your eyes )

Damn that's crazy....

<6>

Dana was probably like "This guy accepted $9000 for a championship fight"

giphy.gif

He had pretty good sponsors for the time, I bet.

He started out small, but unless I’m mistaken he’s right about the top for disclosed pay. The man did alright.

bj-penn-gif-not-bad-GIF.gif

He had pretty good sponsors for the time, I bet.

He started out small, but unless I’m mistaken he’s right about the top for disclosed pay. The man did alright.

bj-penn-gif-not-bad-GIF.gif

He made millions in sponsors, no doubt. Commercials for ESPN, Under Armour, Gatorade, Nos Energy etc. He was probably the most marketable guy in MMAs history.

He made millions in sponsors, no doubt. Commercials for ESPN, Under Armour, Gatorade, Nos Energy etc. He was probably the most marketable guy in MMAs history.

I was actually referring to the time of this fight. As far as sponsors go, back in the day

GSP was/is the man. I tuned in every time he fought.

Goddamn that's pathetic. $9,000 for a guy that was already a rising star in a championship fight.

Yea, at his peak he was probably making a couple million per year from sponsorships alone.

If you add UFC pay and PPV points he was making around $5 million per fight. Thats pretty huge before the Conor era.

I actually paid to watch the man ;)

I was there live at Arco Arena in Sacramento when he beat Hughes. I used to buy all of the fights. It is just not the same anymore and it has been years since I have bought one.

Back