The Voice of Goddard: Ref Explains Shutting Down Colby-Usman

Good stoppage?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
9f26ab32-3e91-11ea-a16e-39b824591591_image_hires_185907.JPG

“It was a difficult fight. I know I handled it on the money, to a T. I’m seeing things unfold, and I see Colby put down twice in rapid order plus 24 minutes of back-and-forth before that. So there’s a lot of damage sustained.

Then I see him go down, and obviously he stays in that turtle position, started on the double, then pulling his hands back. This is where everything will narrow in for me.

I’m now firmly put in the spotlight. I have a decision to make and I’m trying to assess this. I have to assess this real-time with everything I saw.

“I’m looking at Colby, and then I see the damage he’s sustained: the two knockdowns, etc. When you are face down, when I can’t see you, I can’t read you. So I’m now trying to compute in my mind, ‘Are you there, or are you not?’

Colby-Covington-Marc-Goddard-696x392.jpg

“Could I have let that fight go on? Yeah. Could have I stood back and let it go on? Yeah. Should I have let it? And that’s the narrative here. Should I have? And that’s the point I make when I’m assessing what happened, assessing the position he’s in: two knockdowns and he’s being punched.”

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/marc-goddard-defends-kamaru-usman-vs-colby-covington-stoppage/

Fine stoppage. Colby was outclassed by the better fighter.

In that position I don't think colby could do anything to stop Marty from ground and pounding his skull.

I

Stoppage wasn't bad to me.

I wanted Colby to win but he was most likely losing a decision and didn't really show me anything to believe he was going to put Usman away in the final minute(s) of the fight.

It wasn't a terrible stoppage, but when the guy is still trying let it go. If he wants to get put out cold instead of turtleing then that's his prerogative

Good stoppage, Colby was getting battered. May as well minimize his CTE so he can fight another day.

Good decision imo.

If Colby didn't want the fight to be stopped, he shouldn't have turtled up and let Marty rain down blows on him.

Sore Loser Colby should get on his knees and thank Saint Goddard for saving his life.

Not perfect, but good stoppage, and quotes from Goddard explain everything better than what i had to say.

Last edited:
Not a bad stoppage at all. Could've let it go on just a tad so there was no doubt but don't blame him at all for stepping in.

So his response to the criticism is "No matter what I did, it would have been the right call"? Pretty bold, but I guess people are buying it.

I think colby was ahead on the cards.

Stoppage was justified tho. Good stoppage
I think they were tied actually. IIRC one judge had it 3-1 for Colby, one had it 3-1 for Usman, and the third had it 2-2. So that last round was the deciding factor. I hate Colby but he was not outclassed, it was a close fight.

He shoulda let it go a bit more.

I saw the fight last night(it was on one of the ESPN channels).....Usman final shots were shots weak meh shots to colbys gloves which was covering his head(A typical tactic fighters try to do, flurry and hit defense but hopefully the flurry looks menacing enough that the ref stops it).....However I have no doubt Usman would've eventually abandon that tactic and hit colby in the head again with clean shots that went around his defense which would've let to the stoppage.

Basically I wanted to see Colby get 100% finished so he couldn't come up with bullshit excuses afterwards.

Basing on that one interview where Colby's jaw locks you would think he be secretly thankful for the stoppage. His chin might already have permanent damage, let alone what it would be like if the fight continued.

It was a good fight but he was outclassed and TKO'd. Usman is the better fighter.
colby won two rounds. that is not how one gets outclassed

meh stoppage. in today's stoppages it was fine. in reality, he could have let it go on

Back