Dear arrogant MMA fans. Don't forget ESPN saved UFC's tail.

Trifick

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
All you high and mighty fans going at Stephen A Smith, and talking about who deserves to talk about the sport. If it wasn't for ESPN, nobody would be talking about the sport at all. Don't forget where we were the day before we got to ESPN. Abysmal ratings, Less than a thousand PPV buys, couldn't make headlines. Most of you in here already wrote its eulogy. It gets to ESPN and all of sudden it's prosperous. They know how to promote their product, they know which anchors should where. Don't question them, and don't tell them how to do their jobs. They know what they're doing. Thank you.

UFC died a long time ago buddy.

Its at a low point now if anything in terms of commercial interest. Ratings are the same as they were during the late Fox days and they dont even want to make the PPV buys public anymore, which isnt a good sign.

The ungrateful UFC is suckling at the generous teet of ESPN, UFC will die without such a teet

Less than a thousand ppv buys? U might be wrong there

I’m pretty sure it was a mutually beneficial agreement.

All I know is that UFC is making more and and more of these watered-down ppv where there's 1-2 interesting fights. The McGregor card was uttershit for example. The main event was the sole attraction.
I'm a selfish fan, I want interesting and loaded cards.

All you high and mighty fans going at Stephen A Smith, and talking about who deserves to talk about the sport. If it wasn't for ESPN, nobody would be talking about the sport at all. Don't forget where we were the day before we got to ESPN. Abysmal ratings, Less than a thousand PPV buys, couldn't make headlines. Most of you in here already wrote its eulogy. It gets to ESPN and all of sudden it's prosperous. They know how to promote their product, they know which anchors should where. Don't question them, and don't tell them how to do their jobs. They know what they're doing. Thank you.

AdvancedPhysicalAnnelida-size_restricted.gif
So the UFC is not dying..?

Let's not forget the biggest winner in all this.
Ariel Helwani is back covering UFC and there's nothing Dana can do about it. His power is neutered.

I could do without the ESPN commentators to be honest. The modified NFL jingle is played out as well.

Stephen A Smith issa biiiiiitch

This has been said about a million times...but I think there is a sweet spot as far as how many events there are per year and how many guys are on the roster, and at this point it's way beyond what it should be. This is just my opinion, I'm sure a lot of people like the over-saturation with a busy event schedule, a ranking system, and a roster full of forgettable fighters.

There's an event almost every week now, and what, 500 guys on the roster? It has become a bit cheapened, and that's why PPV numbers may be struggling. Where 10-15 years ago, ordering a UFC was a bigger deal, and a much better time. The irony is that back then, a lot of us wanted the constant events, rankings, large roster, and wanted it to be more "legit".

MMA is a spectacle, I wish it could have stayed that way. There was more mystique, more hype, and it was built around pretty much anyone who was fighting, because the roster was the perfect size / they actually had the time to spend on hyping people, even if they were garbage. Might not be as legit as it is now, with rankings, and less bullshit, but it was definitely more fun, and more worthy of my money.

At this point, the UFC almost needs ESPN, unless it's going to downsize a bit. So you're not wrong TS, but I definitely liked it a lot more back in the day. That being said, newer fans have no idea about the times I'm referencing, so I'm sure the UFC will be fine.

Fuck ESPN+ and their shitty D-level streaming service. Digital garbage.

Back