Is WMMA Finally an Elite Women's Sport?

58miles

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
giphy.gif

In 2020 it will be 5 years since the first legit WMMA superstar Ronda Rousey got brutally KTFO by Holly Holm. In the 5 years since has WMMA evolved to the point where it has enough depth of competition to be called an elite sport along with women's tennis, swimming, gymnastics or soccer? How do today's wmma greats like Amanda Nunes, Valentina, Cyborg and Weili Zhang stack up against the greats in other sports like Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky, Serena Williams and Megan Rapinoe?

If WMMA is not yet an elite women's sport how much longer will it take? 5 more years, 10, 20 or it will never be an elite women's sport?

There's some elite fighters at the top, the rest...

Hell no mma in general is not yet ( Check out last nights co-main) and WMMA is light years behind men’s mma.

Is Weili Zhang really a wmma great? I would put Joanna over her on that list as of right now.

They need to do something better than what a match between two 12 year old boys might look like.

Probably not

I'd say Tennis is the most elite women's sport

Followed by some Olympic sports like Gymnastics and Track and Field

giphy.gif

In 2020 it will be 5 years since the first legit WMMA superstar Ronda Rousey got brutally KTFO by Holly Holm. In the 5 years since has WMMA evolved to the point where it has enough depth of competition to be called an elite sport along with women's tennis, swimming, gymnastics or soccer? How do today's wmma greats like Amanda Nunes, Valentina, Cyborg and Weili Zhang stack up against the greats in other sports like Simone Biles, Katie Ledecky, Serena Williams and Megan Rapinoe?

If WMMA is not yet an elite women's sport how much longer will it take? 5 more years, 10, 20 or it will never be an elite women's sport?
I think you can only suggest WMMA's reached an elite status when there's been a period of depth of talent on the roster across all divisions. Considering the paucity of talent at both 145 and 125 I think it's got a considerable way to go.

Is Weili Zhang really a wmma great? I would put Joanna over her on that list as of right now.
People are expecting too much from WMMA. There have been some great fights on a relative basis.<GOT3>

The disappointments are because of the capitalistic environment for the sport. Not gonna change.<TheDonald>

No, there are no elite women's sports besides maybe gymnastics if you want to call that a sport.

I think almost amateur is the wording you're looking for.
Professionals that would struggle with a random from the crowd isn't elite.

Nothing elite about it, couldn't be further from that word.

Back