Question for those who are mad at Diego

FierceHitman

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Manipulation of, even exploitation of, rules is part of every sport.

In basketball, players often put themselves in positions that draw certain fouls. Forcing charge calls, and 1 calls, etc.

In soccer, the infamous diving is also used as a tactic to get ahead.

List goes on.

My question is, why is what Diego did any different? As a sportsman, he found himself in a situation in which no rule was getting broken on his part and one which would result in him getting an automatic W.

He's in a serious sports competition, combat sport at that, down on score cards, and in a situation where realistically was his only chance to come out victorious.

Why the disapproval?

And for those who might feel comparing mma to these other sports isn't a fair comparison, let's compare it to recent Mma fights that had similar situations: Ben rothwell vs Stefan struve, and (the one that comes up in other topics too) Anthony Smith vs Jon Jones. It did neither guy any good to do the supposed "right thing."

There was zero incentive and zero reward after to continue. In all these cases. Why then is it so wrong what Diego did?

"There was zero incentive and zero reward after to continue. In all these cases. Why then is it so wrong what Diego did?"

Nothing, really.

But this will be a bloodbath.

It’s different because it’s combat. Basketball players aren’t expected to be “tough”. I’m not going to crap on Diego, and rather it was right or wrong is something only he knows. But that was one weird performance, start to finish.

Because he robbed a win of a guy who was winning every round solidly.
Obviously a rule was broken with the knee to a grounded opponent. But that rule is pretty silly overall if thought about and is more based in the UFC's concerns of marketing to a "wider audience" rather than actual safety.

Diego wasn't even hurt from the knee. He faked an injury after putting on a tough guy act (Talking shit to Till who expressed having a panic attack prior to the Kelvin fight) all to get the win. Pretty disgraceful to me.

As a fan, I hate it. But as a person, I can totally understand why he would take the out. I mean it doubled his pay and it got the beating to stop

The other guy broke the rules, but people expected a guy that has made a reputation in the sport as a warrior to continue. The fact that it was a Co-Main doesn't help him either. I just didn't expect it from a guy like Diego and most probably didn't either.

I would do the same in his situation, that was a smart move, Anthony Smith should have done the same without hesitating.

But he quit, and everybody knows it.

If you want a basketball equivalent it'd be like having a foul at the end of a game and then refusing to take the free throws to win because you're a big tough guy and can take the foul.
That'd be insane.

Diego should have flopped to the ground. Brok Weaver isn't getting any hate, I'm sure he could have fought on if given 5 mintes to recover from getting knocked out by an illegal knee 30 mins before the Sanchez one.

If you want a basketball equivalent it'd be like having a foul at the end of a game and then refusing to take the free throws to win because you're a big tough guy and can take the foul.
That'd be insane.

Diego should have flopped to the ground. Brok Weaver isn't getting any hate, I'm sure he could have fought on if given 5 mintes to recover from getting knocked out by an illegal knee 30 mins before the Sanchez one.
Did Brok Weaver get a choice tho? He got knocked out. I just think people expected Diego to continue due to his reputation.

Obviously a rule was broken with the knee to a grounded opponent. But that rule is pretty silly overall if thought about and is more based in the UFC's concerns of marketing to a "wider audience" rather than actual safety.

Diego wasn't even hurt from the knee. He faked an injury after putting on a tough guy act (Talking shit to Till who expressed having a panic attack prior to the Kelvin fight) all to get the win. Pretty disgraceful to me.

As you said: a rule was broken. The consequence of that rule being broken and the victim of the rule break not being able to continue is a dq.

Why do you consider what Diego did as something disgraceful and not tactical instead?

I actually didn't know about the shit talking he did before though, so I see your point on that. And even the persona he puts on. It does make him look hypocritical indeed.

It’s different because it’s combat. Basketball players aren’t expected to be “tough”. I’m not going to crap on Diego, and rather it was right or wrong is something only he knows. But that was one weird performance, start to finish.

exactly this....starting with that peacock thing he was doing. wtf was that....then the weird blowing out is bottom lip thing after the face off....wtf was that? if diego is going to have any chance at all of winning, he needs a legit camp....

Weaver was knocked out cold and recovered. No commission would let that go on. He was unfit to continue. Diego was not.

But the other guy did the foul and he has no one to blame but himself.

They need to do away with the rule all together and allow for knees to the head of a grounded opponent. No more of this gray area bullshit.
6.gif

That'd be insane.

There was a clear difference between the shots. I’m not going to say it was right or wrong for Diego to ask out, but the shot he took wasn’t the same. Brock wasn’t asked if he wanted to continue, because he clearly went out. Diego wanted to know what the result would be, asked to talk to his coach, and said there was blood in his eye. Letting weaver fight on would have been negligent on the refs part.

The same reason people hate James Harden and Neymar. No athlete from any sport is immune to getting shat on.
All fanbases are toxic cesspools of trolls and crybabies.

That gaping vag on his head disagrees with your "Wasn't even hurt" statement.
There was no reason for him to continue and take any additional damage. Glad he chose to not continue

I think that late in the third round if you are hit with an illegal knee so hard that it splits your head open, it is ok to take the DQ win.

You sound like Ariel, maybe you too should transition over to basketball or some other ball sport.

This is fighting.

Back