Counterpunchers

Kono dio da!

Giorno's Father
@red
Reaction score
Hey guys. Apart from conor, silva, Valentina, Holm, Wonderboy, Aldo, neck tats, can you help me list some ufc counterpunchers/counterstrikers? It seems they're much rarer than I thought. Oh and Jorge and reyes too.

Marlon Moraes, Hooker, Ponzi Poker, Jacare sometimes, Ngannou, Machida, Holly Holm. Also Volkanovski has been doing good countering recently.

Machida probably one of the more elite counters during a larger sample size during " his years ". Moose too and just recently " machida -ed " Machida for 15 minutes but a past his prime machida.

Oh - of course, Anderson too.

Last edited:
Anderson Silva - Lyoto machida - Nick Diaz - Gunnar Nelson - Domenic Cruz, to add to the ongoing list

Chuck was an awesome counter puncher in his day. He ate more shots than most counter punchers, but his timing and power got him a lot of knockouts. He also knocked out a lot of guys that had never previously been knocked out.

Sam Alvey - love the guy, but since he is a counter puncher his fights can be boring.

He either KO's someone / get's KO'd / or takes a boring decision.

I still love his sense of humor and positivity.

Well He’s not in the UFC anymore but Lineker was a bit of a counterpuncher/technical brawler.
The way he would make guys miss and then get On the inside was so brutal and awesome to watch.

Faber, great at landing moving backwards. Mighty Mouse. Frankie. Gunnar. Even JDS before his decline.

Of the OG, Chuck. Out of the UFC, Igor was a counterpuncher that many times hs to take the inciative anyway, call it aggresive counterpuncher.

Arlovski was a mean counter puncher in his heyday. Then he decided to just stand and bang and found out his chin was made from recycled lightbulbs

Ngannou. Just about all of his latest KOs have come on the backfoot or in the middle of an exchange.

Most high level strikers are..

Pretty much this. And if you want to see some of the best in MMA then just look at the obvious like most of the careers of Anderson Silva and Conor McGregor, also Wonderboy vs Hendricks.

Pretty much this. And if you want to see some of the best in MMA then just look at the obvious like most of the careers of Anderson Silva and Conor McGregor, also Wonderboy vs Hendricks.

Yeah. IMO it goes something like this. From highest level, to low:

1) agressive counter fighters
2) defensive counter fighters
3) hunt powershots, with good defense
4) touch and avoid (jab n run)
5) kill or be killed (basic brawlers)
6) bad strikers

Yeah. IMO it goes something like this. From highest level, to low:

1) agressive counter fighters
2) defensive counter fighters
3) hunt powershots, with good defense
4) touch and avoid (jab n run)
5) kill or be killed (basic brawlers)
6) bad strikers
The problem with this is we aren’t just talking striker vs striker right? For example if your plan is to aggressively counter a wrestler, you may have a really tough time. I think there needs to be a 7th category in which a fighter is able to transition from style to style situationally. For me, that what sets some guys apart from others. Lyoto is a fantastic defensive counter puncher, but it always felt like he was stuck in that one gameplan. And regardless of how good you are, if you don’t give different looks, you’ll be figured out.

The problem with this is we aren’t just talking striker vs striker right? For example if your plan is to aggressively counter a wrestler, you may have a really tough time. I think there needs to be a 7th category in which a fighter is able to transition from style to style situationally. For me, that what sets some guys apart from others. Lyoto is a fantastic defensive counter puncher, but it always felt like he was stuck in that one gameplan. And regardless of how good you are, if you don’t give different looks, you’ll be figured out.

Yes. It get a bit more complicated in MMA. I agree.

Back