Why are wrestlers so effective in MMA?

woloo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Why are wrestlers so effective in MMA?

Sometimes I feel like boxing and wrestling is enough for MMA. Top UFC guys have wrestling background and know striking (i.e., Daniel Cormier, Cain Velasquez, Jon Jones (uses kick boxing too), Khabib, GSP, Chris Weidman). Even Brock Lesnar, who fast tracked into UFC was because of his wrestling background. Fighters who relied on BJJ are Fedor, Werdum and Jose Aldo. Is wrestling the best art to have then?

It’s just that there are more wrestlers in UFC than any other discipline. Makes it more likely wrestlers become champions. Look at the women’s divisions all champs are strikers. Cause more women get into kickboxing/ Muay Thai than wrestling

Offensive grappling is the best base for MMA. The ability to reliably close distance and control your opponent is invaluable.

You're much more likely to find yourself in the clinch with the opportunity to take your opponent down, than you are to land a clean KO strike. This is why the majority of successful fighters will be fighters who can take their opponent down regardless of discipline.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Aldo relied on BJJ. He usually relied on elite takedown defense and devastating striking.

Fedor was not a BJJ guy either. He was Russian national Judo team, multiple time World Combat Sambo Champion, boxed since childhood and spent camps in Holland with world class kickboxers.

Fights lead to the ground

u think boxers have the edge down there?

cmon

They are higher level athletes trained in a sport that works the whole body and forces it to draw on all its athleticism. MMA is not that more demanding than wrestling, but it’s a hell of a lot more demanding than BJJ and boxing.

People usually get that head start in wrestling over striking arts.

So it's usually someone who has been wrestling since elementary or middle school vs someone who took muay thai for a couple years.

If you can dictate where the fight takes place, you're gonna have a good time

Because it dictates where the fight takes place and helps you to:
  • Take your opponent down
  • Not have to worry about getting taken down yourself, making your stand-up all the more effective
EDIT: If you're the superior striker, you might still get taken down, if you're the better BJJ-guy, you might still fail to get the fight to the ground, but if you're the better wrestler, you're pretty free in choosing where to fight your opponent.

If boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ were taught for free in the school system like wrestling is, there would be more people with a higher skill level in them.

If boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ were taught for free in the school system like wrestling is, there would be more people with a higher skill level in them.
Who are even some MMA fighters who were boxing since that age? People that were end up... being boxers.

Wonderboy has been kickboxing that long, so I guess he counts. Has yet to be wrestlefucked.

Who are even some MMA fighters who were boxing since that age? People that were end up... being boxers.

Wonderboy has been kickboxing that long, so I guess he counts. Has yet to be wrestlefucked.

None that I know. But higher numbers = higher potential of at least a B-level boxer going to MMA in their prime.

The rules limiting kicks to the head of grounded opponents heavily favour wrestling

Watch the Cain/JDS rematches, with how TD-spammer Cain missed TD after TD in the early going, and imagine JDS was allowed to boot Cain square in the head as he scrambled on all fours trying to recover from his failed TD attempts

Offensive grappling is the best base for MMA. The ability to reliably close distance and control your opponent is invaluable.

You're much more likely to find yourself in the clinch with the opportunity to take your opponent down, than you are to land a clean KO strike. This is why the majority of successful fighters will be fighters who can take their opponent down regardless of discipline.

Not only that, but wrestling combines well (effectively and intuitively) with learning and using boxing. They share much of the same distance control and footwork (unlike the other grappling and most striking arts). You could say they are two sides of the same coin.

Boxing used to be taught with wrestling, complete with throws and takedowns (that's where current boxing's mostly vestigial clinch comes from) they separated them later.

Because wrestling is the middle discipline. If you are a striker only you will get grounded and f**** up. If your a jiu jitsu guy with shit takedowns you will fucked up on the feet or smothered from the top. The wrestler can take down the striker and then defend the jiu jitsu guy and win by being on top. It's just the middle game

Wrestlers are usually tougher than jiu jitsu guys too. Not sure where it comes from but straight jiu jitsu guys specifically leg locks guys are pussies. I love when the just pull guard guys for my legs and think they are all talented then we add punches and there whole game is shit. Lol

Because wrestling is the best,toughest,most competitive sport in the world.

"If you can't wrestle, you can't fight. Wrestling is the prerequisite for fighting," Tank Abbott.

The rules limiting kicks to the head of grounded opponents heavily favour wrestling

Watch the Cain/JDS rematches, with how TD-spammer Cain missed TD after TD in the early going, and imagine JDS was allowed to boot Cain square in the head as he scrambled on all fours trying to recover from his failed TD attempts
It doesnt matter. You could give all thr knees and kicks you want,khabib would still be undefeated

Back