When They Came To Fight (Gilbert Melendez vs Diego Sanchez)

Glove

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Match: Gilbert Melendez (21-8) vs Diego Sanchez (29-11)
Event: UFC 166

Gilbert Melendez had just come off a tough split decision loss to Benson Henderson in his first UFC debut from Strikfeorce., the match was for the UFC lightweight Championship and some had thought Melendez had won the match. Meanwhile Diego Sanchez had just beaten Takanori Gomi in a tough split decision win. Both men are known for their strong wrestling base, with Sanchez having multiple Fight of the Night bonuses with six. Melendez, a natural Lightweight, had been a former Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and was known for being well rounded with a strong wrestling base and decent stand up.

In this match however both men would leave it all in the octagon ring, with Sanchez being simply a sponge for punishment right from the start in Round 1, which caused a massive uproar due to the unfathomable ability to absorb remarkable array of punishment that left the crowd and announcers in absolute awe.

https://www.vidio.com/watch/74294-ufc-188-free-fight-gilbert-melendez-vs-diego-sanchez

hi-res-7768236_crop_north.jpg

Last edited:
How bored are you right now?

I post these once a week for people to read, view at their leisure. And if i may say, far more productive than your average post of McGregor criticisms and fervent adulation, wouldnt you say.

It was a good fight none the less.

I loved that fight so much. Almost lost my mind when diego dropped him late in the 3rd and took his back

I post these once a week for people to read, view at their leisure. And if i may say, far more productive than your average post of McGregor criticisms and fervent adulation, wouldnt you say.
Dont listen to the nonsense. Its a forum, this is what you do in a forum. Post about a topic and discuss. Some people will complain just about anything. Keep doing your thing brother.

BTW, great fight!

If you want to see drunken sailors duke it out, it is better to head down to the port than to pay $60 PPV.

Diego was stuffing a bunch of takedowns too if I remember correctly.

Melendez showed insane heart for surviving that uppercut after such a grueling fight.

ce022-5.gif

5Fc5UaV.png

Match: Gilbert Melendez (21-8) vs Diego Sanchez (29-11)
Event: UFC 188

Gilbert Melendez had just come off a tough split decision loss to Benson Henderson in his first UFC debut from Strikfeorce., the match was for the UFC lightweight Championship and some had thought Melendez had won the match. Meanwhile Diego Sanchez had just beaten Takanori Gomi in a tough split decision win. Both men are known for their strong wrestling base, with Sanchez having multiple Fight of the Night bonuses with six. Melendez, a natural Lightweight, had been a former Strikeforce Lightweight Champion and was known for being well rounded with a strong wrestling base and decent stand up.

In this match however both men would leave it all in the octagon ring, with Sanchez being simply a sponge for punishment right from the start in Round 1, which caused a massive uproar due to the unfathomable ability to absorb remarkable array of punishment that left the crowd and announcers in absolute awe.

https://www.vidio.com/watch/74294-ufc-188-free-fight-gilbert-melendez-vs-diego-sanchez

View attachment 718401

Gilbert doesn't get the proper recognition for this fight. Everyone acknowledges and celebrates Diego's ability to absorb and withstand.

What they don't appreciate is the fact that Gilbert allowed this fight to be what it was. He was by far the superior striker and could have easily picked Diego apart from range without ever creating that kind of danger. Diego's only chance was a firefight. But it was Gilbert's choice to make it one.

WAR El Nino

Unreal Just Bleed fight. The amount of clean power shots that Diego took right on the chin and wasn't even wobbled by was just insane. Ridiculous chin and mentality. Melendez fought an unreal fight though.

Gilbert beat Benson. So did Josh Thomson.

The fight that showed Melendez wasn't at the top level.

remember this fight, it was a good one.

too bad Melendez didn't pan out. a lot of people were expecting him to make a huge splash in the UFC

Back