Tyron Woodley Told He Gets No Titleshot Guarantee with Win Over Edwards

Should Tyron get a titleshot if he beats Leon?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
woodley-hero.jpg

“If we look at other people’s hands, like in poker, different sets of hands, there would be no case where Joanna Jedrzejczyk didn’t get an instant rematch, [or] Ronda Rousey or Cody Garbrandt,” explained Woodley on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.

“Or you see Holly Holm fight her way back into a title fight so may times afterwards. We’ve seen this things happen like that (quickly).

I’m, not even guaranteed a title shot after beating Leon Edwards! So how does my deck of cards look different when I’m the one who actually defended four times and won four world title fights in a year?

To add some salt to Tyron’s wounds, Edwards recently revealed that he is guaranteed a championship fight with a win London. Then again, it will be his ninth straight win so one can understand the thought process there.

“You got to know your deck of cards. I can cry over spilled milk or I can say, ‘Hey, these are my deck of cards and I am going to play the sh*t out of this hand!”

The-hand-you-think-you-should-have-been-dealt.png

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/1/27/...ed-title-shot-win-leon-edwards-ufc-london-mma

Last edited:
Good he doesn’t deserve one

He’s broke now right? Hungry as ever I guess.

that's what happens when you don't play nice with the ufc, on a p.r. level. once you're no longer winning, you have to settle with whatever is left. if you don't build up an image in which, "regular" fans want to see you, your leverage becomes limited. most people don't care about woodley, because he has nothing to excite fans with. and no, his music doesn't count lol.

I think a win over Leon is enough. However I'm not surprised. Dude has been on the sideline forever and acts like a diva.

Him vs Colby is a much bigger fight than watching him get rekd by Usman again

He should hope that's the fight that happens next if he beats Edwards (he won't)

It always depends on how you do it. He’s been around long enough to know that. In a division with guys like Masvidal and Conor and underwhelming decision win won’t be enough after that massive loss to Usman

He will probably lose to leon anyway and then he is well and truly fucked

Why would he? He got completely destroyed.

It's a combination of his unlikable behaviour to the public, the UFC and his tendency to freeze in fights like against Maia and Usman.

If he fought a little sooner maybe but he has been out so long 1 win does not warrant a title shot

woodley-hero.jpg

“If we look at other people’s hands, like in poker, different sets of hands, there would be no case where Joanna Jedrzejczyk didn’t get an instant rematch, [or] Ronda Rousey or Cody Garbrandt,” explained Woodley on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show.

“Or you see Holly Holm fight her way back into a title fight so may times afterwards. We’ve seen this things happen like that (quickly).

I’m, not even guaranteed a title shot after beating Leon Edwards! So how does my deck of cards look different when I’m the one who actually defended four times and won four world title fights in a year?

To add some salt to Tyron’s wounds, Edwards recently revealed that he is guaranteed a championship fight with a win London. Then again, it will be his ninth straight win so one can understand the thought process there.

“You got to know your deck of cards. I can cry over spilled milk or I can say, ‘Hey, these are my deck of cards and I am going to play the sh*t out of this hand!”

The-hand-you-think-you-should-have-been-dealt.png

https://www.mmamania.com/2020/1/27/...ed-title-shot-win-leon-edwards-ufc-london-mma
When he says he defended his title 4 times hes including that draw over wonder boy right?

Does a draw really count as a defense?

Edit: Wikipedia calls it a retention and not a defense.

Nope. He's been really inactive since he lost his belt, and the way he lost it doesn't help his case. A win helps him stay in the title picture, but a big flashy win always has the ability to sway Dana.

Usman dismantled him.
Now Usman is closer to his prime and Woodley even further away from it.
He will be 38, when he gets a title shot and will lose terribly against Usman again.

He won’t get a title shot unless he puts on a amazing performance, Conor Vs Cowboy type performance. His reign as champ was very forgettable and the way he lost the title he showed nothing in that fight deserving of one. Take also into account that other fighters has emerged and shined in the Octagon while Woodley sat out. The WW division has moved on passed him in the span of a year.

Leon should get a title shot.
Tyron was a long reigning champ that got dominated by the new champ. If he beats the 3rd best guy in the division while the two above them are injured (Usman and Colby are sidelined) then yes, he deserves a title shot.

However, if he sits around after beating Leon while Usman is sidelined, then no. He doesn't deserve a title shot, again, for sitting around and demanding one.

He got completely outclassed. 2-3 fights minimum before his shot.

He should get a TS from this if he wins it. He deserves it. And I'd like to see him go out on top. That would be nice for one of the top 3 WWs ever.
And I fuckin hate Usman, and want him to get Tbombed.

Back