UFC 232 Free fight: Jones vs Gustafsson 2

dragovic

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Even though Gus was mitigated by the knee in the first round, he could still threaten in boxing range (second round). Would've been nice to see how the fight would have unfolded had he not injured his groin.
Makes me wonder a bit about Reyes's possibilites.

Overall though - excellent strategy and game plan from the champ.

Even though Gus was mitigated by the knee in the first round, he could still threaten in boxing range (second round). Would've been nice to see how the fight would have unfolded had he not injured his groin.
Makes me wonder a bit about Reyes's possibilites.

Overall though - excellent strategy and game plan from the champ.

Jone's usual display of dominance.

People love to conveniently forget that this was Jone's big toe 6 months before his first fight with Gustaffson
hqdefault.jpg

Literally couldnt walk 6 months before the fight, let alone train. But lets pretend we don't know that so our Jones hate narrative works better.

Either way, we all saw what happened the 2nd time around when Jones had 2 working feet...

Last edited:
Imagine Stephen A. Smith's thoughts on Gus's perfomance if you want my thoughts on this fight.

Still can't believe Gustafsson got beaten by Anthony Smith.. but finished

ouch

All you say gus did nothing it was just jon being the goat

The picogram fight. Brilliant performance though, this time he actually came prepared for Gustafsson's fighting style and negated it the entire time. People will lazily and incorrectly just say Gustafsson wasn't the same, but he was. He looked for a boxing match in both fights, he largely got it in the first fight since Jones went in there with no game plan, but this time Jones denied it the entire time with superior footwork and distance management and much better disguised takedowns.

Injured his groin, said he was on 1 leg. Combined with the loss of his killer instinct equals a shit performance.

He looked bad before he hurt his groin. Loss of killer instinct is right. He did the same thing in the Smith fight. Just fought tentatively.

The picogram fight. Brilliant performance though, this time he actually came prepared for Gustafsson's fighting style and negated it the entire time. People will lazily and incorrectly just say Gustafsson wasn't the same, but he was. He looked for a boxing match in both fights, he largely got it in the first fight since Jones went in there with no game plan, but this time Jones denied it the entire time with superior footwork and distance management and much better disguised takedowns.
Maybe it was this fight that sapped him but he lacked killer instinct in his next fight too.
I think he focused too much on out boxing Jones and not turning it into the gritty war that the first fight was. He was more focused on feinting than trying his luck by throwing a punch.

Still great technical performance from Jones and his newly redefined kicking game

I was soo happy to see Sherdog great white hope get destroyed lol

He looked bad before he hurt his groin. Loss of killer instinct is right. He did the same thing in the Smith fight. Just fought tentatively.

He injured it 40 seconds into the first round though.

Back