Why didn’t Chiesa vs Maia happen?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I remember Maia calling Chiesa out on the mic after he won his last fight.

I think this is an appropriate match up, why didn’t UFC make this happen?

To be honest if I’m chiesa and they offer me RDA instead I go for it

They went with Gilbert Burns after quintet hoping to replace what maia was to this division

Chiesa vs Covington is the fight to make..

To be honest if I’m chiesa and they offer me RDA instead I go for it
I'm pretty sure he turned Maia down and took the Sanchez fight.

I wasn't a fan of him turning down Maia with bullshit reasoning and went against said reasoning for the Sanchez fight.

He ducked Maia.

Maia called him out and Chiesa said some shit about how "they were in different paths" or some shit and then like 1 month later he said in an interview that he wanted a top 5 guy.

For some reason Maia didn't work well for him despite Maia only losing to Woodley in a title fight, Usman the guy who then became the champ and Colby the interim champ.

So Maia was clearly a great way for him to pop into the top 5 without a doubt, but he wanted none of it

Not a fan of Chiesa since TUF. Always talking about how his "dad was in Heaven watching him" and blah blah blah. I hate that his father passed, I really do. However, it seemed like he said it every single episode. Fast forward a few years and he's crying about FKL talking about his mom...just unlikeable.

maia would sub him or out grind him to a decision. chiesa has 11 sub wins but has also been submitted 3 times alone in the ufc. great offensive grappler but defense wise he has holes.

Probably because they wanted people to buy tickets and that's a horrible co-main.

Anybody in the top 5 will trash him. Except RDA I guess but he’s past his prime.
I’m gonna he honest, and I’m sure plenty of people think I’m wrong, but I’ve always felt like RDA was a blip on the radar. He was like an Anthony Pettis. Talented, but I never felt like he was the top 5/champ caliber guy he’s been made out to be

Because Chiesa is being groomed as the next hype.

Chiesa has some balls calling out Colby as I don't see how he wins that.
RDA was higher ranked than Maia so that made sense. He could've tried to keep it standing against Maia but a much tougher fight.

Chiesa has some balls calling out Colby as I don't see how he wins that.
RDA was higher ranked than Maia so that made sense. He could've tried to keep it standing against Maia but a much tougher fight.
It's actually a very smart and very realistic call out, not saying I'd pick him to win or anything like that but you're picking a loser in the top 5 which is pretty much the most logical fight to take. with woodley, edwards and usman off the table it was either that or wonderboy and to be honest a win over colby probably does more for him at this point.

People might be surprised when Chiesa fights Colby

He could very well take his back and finish him

Physics won't allow it to happen. It's impossible for Maia and Chiesa to have each other's back going for choke at the same time.

Back