Adesanya holes vs Southpaw?

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
Do you think Adesanya will be more vulnerable/have any holes in his standup vs Yoel since Romero is a Southpaw IIRC ...???

I don't remember if he's faced any Southpaws just yet and I didn't pay attention to his KB career prior to know that information .

Someone fill me in and do you like Southpaw vs Orthodox matchups in general?

One of the best things about them is seeing the battle of the lead hand -since their jab comes from the same side, in mma it becomes a crucial battle of who can pull down/hand fight their opponent's lead hand. This can get really interesting with Izzy and Romero

Do you think Adesanya will be more vulnerable/have any holes in his standup vs Yoel since Romero is a Southpaw IIRC ...???

I don't remember if he's faced any Southpaws just yet and I didn't pay attention to his KB career prior to know that information .

Someone fill me in and do you like Southpaw vs Orthodox matchups in general?

One of the best things about them is seeing the battle of the lead hand -since their jab comes from the same side, in mma it becomes a crucial battle of who can pull down/hand fight their opponent's lead hand. This can get really interesting with Izzy and Romero

everyone has holes

Pretty sure izzy can fight in both stances, he'll be fine

Both Yoel and Israel fight from both stances.

Yoel was a full-time southpaw up until the second Whittaker fight where he fought orthodox the whole fight and his boxing looked better.

It's more intriguing to see his wrestling and/or BJJ game.
He can deal with stand up, he got the experience.

Gastelum is a southpaw. That was a very tough fight for Israel.

Of course Romero is a little bit different. He doesn't have the hand speed, footwork or combinations of Gastelum but Romero has even more power. Romero is also super tough and durable just like Gastelum.

I think Izzy will have a major speed advantage and will successfully stick and move, until Romero finally lands a bomb and swarms for the TKO finish.

Yoel was a full-time southpaw up until the second Whittaker fight where he fought orthodox the whole fight and his boxing looked better.
Masterful adjustment for Yoel, he was continuously catching Whittaker weaving off onto his lead hook that wasn't previously there when he was southpaw and Rob was moving into safety. Yoel's power hand became power jab too.

Izzy cleared Gastelum's left straight switching to southpaw and framing off (countering at times), and always mirroring southpaw Silva was great in terms of mitigating his offence and making him unable to consistently draw out openings.

Fight preview, only Isreal's TDD defense isn't at the same level Machida's is so it won't take until the 3rd:

OptimisticCooperativeAmmonite-size_restricted.gif

Gastelum is a southpaw. That was a very tough fight for Israel.

Of course Romero is a little bit different. He doesn't have the hand speed, footwork or combinations of Gastelum but Romero has even more power. Romero is also super tough and durable just like Gastelum.

I think Izzy will have a major speed advantage and will successfully stick and move, until Romero finally lands a bomb and swarms for the TKO finish.

Why do people think that Romero will stand with Izzy? Do people really believe a skinny kickboxer who just started wrestling a couple years ago is going to stop Romero from taking them down?

Southpaw Kelvin Gastelum was a nightmare matchup for Adesanya so yeah he struggles more with southpaws strikers.

Why do people think that Romero will stand with Izzy? Do people really believe a skinny kickboxer who just started wrestling a couple years ago is going to stop Romero from taking them down?

Because Romero stands with everyone.

He looked bad against
- 5'9 Gastelum - southpaw
- 43 year old Anderson
- #20 ranking Vettori
3 southpaws, Vettori also likes to switch stance mid combination to cover distance. Izzy didn't like that at all.

He couldn't land a jab on 1 foot smaller Gastelum for 10 minutes, but looked good against every orthodox fighter.
That's why I have a bit of hope, that nearly 43 old Romero will have a chance to knock that weirdo out.

Adesanya has holes and they are being exploited.

I would love to see Romero use his offensive wrestling here. Only problem is he rarely does that. He usually stands with everybody.

It could be the strategy that makes him champ but he must also be careful about using a wrestling heavy gameplan, as that can certainly tire out a 43 year old in a 5 round war.

Why do you think Romero will wrestle? He almost never does.

Back