Coach responds to Johnny Walker’s comments: ‘He didn’t own up to his loss’

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
Johnny Walker recently parted ways with his longtime coach Leo Gosling after his first UFC loss, a quick knockout against Corey Anderson at UFC 244. Ahead of his upcoming fight with Nikita Krylov at UFC Brasilia, he decided to join the famed Tristar Gym in Canada. Gosling initially declined to comment when contacted by MMA Fighting. But one day later, he changed his mind and gave an extended interview. The Brazilian coach, who now lives in Lisboa, Portugal, and trains fighters at the Invictus gym, responded to some of the comments made by the rising UFC star.

According to Gosling, the “stressful” fight week mentioned by Walker during their public split was caused by the fighter himself. “He brought a girl from Canada to stay with him in his hotel room, and I said ‘No, it’s not time for this, let’s stay together and focused,’” Gosling said. “He kept saying, ‘No, I’ll beat this guy up, trust me.’ He was very bossy, and I didn’t want to cause any trouble. The other ‘stress’ he (talked about) was about a UFC ticket I asked for (to give) a friend. He said he would give it to me, but then gave it to someone else. This girl came from France for the event, and he left her hanging. That’s what he means by ‘stress.’”

Walker did not immediately respond for comment. Gosling said Walker’s words and actions were motivated by money — “he was bothered by the percentage he was paying me, 10 percent, which I thought was little, but accepted it” — and his desire to blame someone else for his loss. Speaking with MMA Fighting, Walker said he felt like going to war “and not being happy with who’s with you,” wondering if he could trust Gosling or “get shot in the back.” “We went to war several times together,” Gosling said. “What happened to Johnny was fame, success and money going over his head. He became friends with other coaches, other managers, everybody telling him ‘Leo is a small (coach), if you want to become champion you have to train in big teams.’ I was open to that and even took him to a big team in Russia, American Top Team. I was there with him, no problem at all. I have an open mind, I know that one coach can’t teach all disciplines. It’s impossible to be good in everything. “He needed to use that as an excuse, he didn’t own up his loss because he didn’t train enough. He missed practices, he went out to meet women. He met women during fight week and asked me to leave the hotel. He became authoritarian, bossy, and I kept my cool and didn’t raise my voice. He didn’t have the guts to call me and say he was leaving me. He’s not obligated to stay with me, but… Johnny will show his true self day by day. People will see who he truly is.”
About the $30,000 investment Walker claims Gosling got from the fighter and gave nothing in return, the coach says they both lost $10,000. In fact, Gosling says the UFC light heavyweight has some good investments that were suggested by him, and doesn’t expect Walker to pay him what he says is owed.

“All I really see is greed, ingratitude, and an obsession to prove himself to his thousands of fans,” Gosling said. “He spends six to eight hours a day seeing what people talk about him (online). Let’s see how he behaves now, if he’s going to honor what he has with me. We don’t have a contract, but we have a deal, looking each other in the eye. Let’s see if he really is worthy of a man like he says.”

Gosling says “it’s really hard to forgive” Walker right now, but expects to reach that point eventually. Even thought he doesn’t envision themselves working together one day anymore, Gosling wishes his former protégé success in the Octagon even if some setbacks have to happen along the way. “I hope he becomes champion because that will be the result of my work,” Gosling said, “But would also understand — and thinks it’s good — if he trips and falls back to square one. Maybe he reunites with those he abandoned along the way. He knows what I’m talking about. I don’t wish him bad, I just wish he learns.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

“He brought a girl from Canada to stay with him in his hotel room’”

tenor.gif

Johnny Walker recently parted ways with his longtime coach Leo Gosling after his first UFC loss, a quick knockout against Corey Anderson at UFC 244. Ahead of his upcoming fight with Nikita Krylov at UFC Brasilia, he decided to join the famed Tristar Gym in Canada. Gosling initially declined to comment when contacted by MMA Fighting. But one day later, he changed his mind and gave an extended interview. The Brazilian coach, who now lives in Lisboa, Portugal, and trains fighters at the Invictus gym, responded to some of the comments made by the rising UFC star.

According to Gosling, the “stressful” fight week mentioned by Walker during their public split was caused by the fighter himself. “He brought a girl from Canada to stay with him in his hotel room, and I said ‘No, it’s not time for this, let’s stay together and focused,’” Gosling said. “He kept saying, ‘No, I’ll beat this guy up, trust me.’ He was very bossy, and I didn’t want to cause any trouble. The other ‘stress’ he (talked about) was about a UFC ticket I asked for (to give) a friend. He said he would give it to me, but then gave it to someone else. This girl came from France for the event, and he left her hanging. That’s what he means by ‘stress.’”

Walker did not immediately respond for comment. Gosling said Walker’s words and actions were motivated by money — “he was bothered by the percentage he was paying me, 10 percent, which I thought was little, but accepted it” — and his desire to blame someone else for his loss. Speaking with MMA Fighting, Walker said he felt like going to war “and not being happy with who’s with you,” wondering if he could trust Gosling or “get shot in the back.” “We went to war several times together,” Gosling said. “What happened to Johnny was fame, success and money going over his head. He became friends with other coaches, other managers, everybody telling him ‘Leo is a small (coach), if you want to become champion you have to train in big teams.’ I was open to that and even took him to a big team in Russia, American Top Team. I was there with him, no problem at all. I have an open mind, I know that one coach can’t teach all disciplines. It’s impossible to be good in everything. “He needed to use that as an excuse, he didn’t own up his loss because he didn’t train enough. He missed practices, he went out to meet women. He met women during fight week and asked me to leave the hotel. He became authoritarian, bossy, and I kept my cool and didn’t raise my voice. He didn’t have the guts to call me and say he was leaving me. He’s not obligated to stay with me, but… Johnny will show his true self day by day. People will see who he truly is.”
About the $30,000 investment Walker claims Gosling got from the fighter and gave nothing in return, the coach says they both lost $10,000. In fact, Gosling says the UFC light heavyweight has some good investments that were suggested by him, and doesn’t expect Walker to pay him what he says is owed.

“All I really see is greed, ingratitude, and an obsession to prove himself to his thousands of fans,” Gosling said. “He spends six to eight hours a day seeing what people talk about him (online). Let’s see how he behaves now, if he’s going to honor what he has with me. We don’t have a contract, but we have a deal, looking each other in the eye. Let’s see if he really is worthy of a man like he says.”

Gosling says “it’s really hard to forgive” Walker right now, but expects to reach that point eventually. Even thought he doesn’t envision themselves working together one day anymore, Gosling wishes his former protégé success in the Octagon even if some setbacks have to happen along the way. “I hope he becomes champion because that will be the result of my work,” Gosling said, “But would also understand — and thinks it’s good — if he trips and falls back to square one. Maybe he reunites with those he abandoned along the way. He knows what I’m talking about. I don’t wish him bad, I just wish he learns.”
It was obvious he was way more focused on style than substance that fight. He was feelin himself way too much. You’d think the knockout would be a reality check, but if he’s not owning it I don’t expect him to bounce back easily

Last edited:
Regardless of the drama he made the right move to go with a much more reputable coach like Firaz. Even if he does turn him into a point fighter.

(Plus now he doesn’t have to “fly” any Canadian girls in)

Sounds like an open and honest account to be fair, but obviously only him and Walker will ever know the full story.

Last edited:
And ppl think this dude is the one to dethrone Jon Jones. Dude want to be an entertainer more than a fighter...

He wants to surround himself with yes man rather than to adjust his style and correct his mistake. Hes blaming everyone else for his loss but himself I guess. You can't train that glass chin though

The move to a better gym tho could be smart and take him to another level by plugging them black hole sized gaps in his striking defense. We'll see.

Walker seems a bit like he thinks he's a superstar already tho, so if what the coach says is true about him it wouldn't surprise me if many more KO losses were waiting for him in the future.

we can't deduce anything from this, "he said-he said" fiasco. it's clear that they weren't going to stay around long, so it's best that they parted ways.

Walker let his ego get the best of him...

Started feeling himself too early and didn’t take that Anderson fight seriously.

Such is the path of a young man... hopefully he will learn from his mistakes and realize his full potential at Tri-Star - under the tutelage of Firas.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

TornJauntyAmoeba-size_restricted.gif
Oooooh Dirty laundry hanging online money, women, coaches, other teams, As the Gym Turns. Tune in 2morrow will Johnny Walk? Who's the mysterious french slut? Will she now claim she's pregnant? Who got the extra tickets for the fight?

Back