Tony hasn't put in the man-hours into wrestling

DivineMind

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love me some Tony, but something tells me he doesn't have the credentials to bang with Khabib.

Watch this:

It's a nice overview of a lot of Tony's fights. What's missing? Guys who can really wrestle at the highest level - aside from Kevin Lee. Tony seemed to luck out in that one, since Kevin gassed (possibly due to a staph infection).

Regardless, it seems like Tony just hasn't fought enough fighters who can wrestle to handle good ole Khabibi.

How much wrestling can the guy do in 4 months? Probably not enough to beat someone who was practically born wrestling.

Tony has his pluses: length, size, good power in his punches without needing to overcommit, scrappy, unpredictable.

But is he lacking experience in fighting master wrestlers? He's just used to swangin and bangin, I don't think he has picked up enough experience in dealing with wrestlers. And it's not something you can pick up in a few months.

Tony Ferguson gonna beat khabib before the championshit rounds. Feel free to quote me later.

Champshit only!

Ferguson was a three-sport athlete at Muskegon Catholic Central High School in football, baseball, and wrestling. He was the starting defensive back for the 2000 Division 8 state football champions and was a three-time All-State selection in wrestling, winning the 152-lb division in 2002.

After high school, Ferguson enrolled at Central Michigan University before transferring to Grand Valley State University. He also did a stint at Muskegon Community College. He did not complete his degree, but had a successful collegiate wrestling career, winning the 2006 National Collegiate Wrestling Association national wrestling championship in the 165-lb division.
And then he moved into professional MMA... I mean, if I had to guess, I'd say he's been to a wrestling practice or two. He just likes to strike and throw elbows, leaving himself open for takedowns. But whatever. We'll see. I do expect Khabib to take him down, but what happens next is what intrigues me. If Doostin can grab a good hold of Khabib, Tony should be able as well.

And then he moved into professional MMA... I mean, if I had to guess, I'd say he's been to a wrestling practice or two. He just likes to strike and throw elbows, leaving himself open for takedowns. But whatever. We'll see. I do expect Khabib to take him down, but what happens next is what intrigues me. If Doostin can grab a good hold of Khabib, Tony should be able as well.

Yea but when your last 10 fights are against almost all non-wrestlers, it's hard to keep the wrestling skills in tip-top shape.

It doesn't matter, he's been with Eddie Bravo for god knows how long, so he will have some positions from the bottom that Khabib isn't used to.

It doesn't matter, he's been with Eddie Bravo for god knows how long, so he will have some positions from the bottom that Khabib isn't used to.
Khabib has been grappling since he can walk. I am pretty sure hes seen every position.

Tony is the type of guy that throws elbows from bottom when his wife climbs on top of him.

I think it will be the other way round.

Matt Serra ko'd GSP

<{1-69}>

... and still Tony doesn't stand a chance without a NYC doctor.

Eddie Bravo said that they're preparing to be on the bottom.

They know it'll be a lot of fighting from there with Khabib.

Yeah, I can see some (early?) spinning elbow attempt, which leaves him open and Khabib exploits that. So I'm, also, intrigued by what happens next.
Can he use his ground skills and JJ and try to nullify, even overcome Khabib's wrestling? If he can, he'll have to do something extraordinary.
Looking forward to the fight (Let's hope it happens -_-)

You do know tony has been wrestling since he was a kid? He was a 3x all state wrestler, won a state championship in high school. Then went on to win a collegiate championship. Its not like he just started wrestling in prep for Khabib

Last edited:
I haven't watched the video, but I agree if Tony's idea is to not focus on avoiding the takedown. He'll fight better on the feet if he ain't worried about getting taken down like Conor was. And on the ground he has a plethora of tools. And it'll be hard to Khabib to finish Tony, who'll be there attacking til the end.

Attack Non-stop off your back, and on the feet pressure all the time. Non-stop pace..

Back