Can Dominick Reyes keep up with or beat Jon Jones in striking?

woloo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Can Dominick Reyes keep up with or beat Jon Jones in striking?

Jon Jones can outwrestle and dominate on ground. Can Dominick Reyes's left hand trouble Jon Jones, who's blessed with a great chin? Can Jon Jones trouble him with knees/elbows?

Personally I'm more interested in their striking as I believe that would be more competitive. At least Dominick has a better reach than Daniel Cormier, which makes the fight more interesting.

Reyes has that weird look in his eyes all the time that just says he can snap.

I think that might be what it takes to take Jones out tbh.

That just crazy enough kind of mind that he can and will go for broke.

If Jones keeps standing with Reyes for an extended period of time like he did against Santos, I think he will eventually regret it. But I really doubt he will do that.

Reyes has that weird look in his eyes all the time. That just says he can snap.

I think that might be what it takes to take Jones out tbh.

That just crazy enough kind of mind that he can and will go for broke.

Gotta rush him, catch him and not stop following up. Or Catch him, rush him and not stop following up.

Problem is, Jon just pokes guys eyes out if they start trying to this or to get on the inside. And he'll keep it up until they learn not to, and can't see.

It's a fucking dog act.

I sort of think he can. JJ is looking a bit slow his last couple fights. He was champ at a young age, he has lived a hard life, and it happens to everyone. For Jones I can see the loss coming soon. I mean I can also see him fight well into his late 30's with tons of success. But his first loss isn't far away.

Jones has been out of prime for couple of years now but no one was skilled enough to exploit any of his errors. Reyes is the closest Jones-killer we've seen yet and, ironically, the most underrated one.

I have uncertainties about Jon's ability to close the distance these days as well as his work on the inside that was once fantastic.

Will give Jon a full credit if he beats Reyes and respect to him for accepting that challenge.

I feel like this one will be a lot easier for Bones that people might think. He’ll show his best when no one expects it. He is still the best in true LHW division.

Well Jon Jones getting older but it is not time yet, Nikita Krylov will surprise him one day

His last 4 fights nowhere showed us that he’s out of prime.

He destroyed Cormier and Gus effortlessly in the rematch fights then treated Smith like a body bag and sent Santos in a wheelchair so it’s still the same old Jones.
As I said, none of these people were skilled enough to make him pay.

Gus, Smith, Santos...those are not good fighters by any metric. Cormier is decent clinch wrestler with smart entries and dirty boxing, but awful game-planner who had no idea how to approach rematches, ever.

Jon's best work was back in 2014/15 when he was facing real strategic challenges and adapting mid-fight.

Jones has been out of prime for couple of years now but no one was skilled enough to exploit any of his errors. Reyes is the closest Jones-killer we've seen yet and, ironically, the most underrated one.

I have uncertainties about Jon's ability to close the distance these days as well as his work on the inside that was once fantastic.

Will give Jon a full credit if he beats Reyes and respect to him for accepting that challenge.

Jon is at that point where he needs a true challenge to fully show up. Gus 2 for example. That night he was as sharp as ever. Even though Gus got injured in the first round, his gameplan was excellent.

I also think the Santos fight is blown out of proportion. Not a close fight imo.

Jon is at that point where he needs a true challenge to fully show up. Gus 2 for example. That night he was as sharp as ever. Even though Gus got injured in the first round, his gameplan was excellent.

I also think the Santos fight is blown out of proportion. Not a close fight imo.
I don't think Gus knows how to fight fights to his advantages and on top of that, of all people, he lost to Anthony freaking Smith. Gus hasn't shown me layered game with clever setups, he literally shuffled forward onto Jon's linear kick and gave Jon no hesitancy. In the first fight Gus almost blew Jon's mind by simply moving laterally hahah.
I've always been amazed how Gus was described as some transcendental talent for MMA boxing, in the sport where we have Aldos, Lawlers, McGregors, Holloways, Whittakers, Kattars, Romeros, Zombies, Edgars, Mendeses, RDAs of the world...

People say that Jon looked vulnerable in the Santos fight. He just looked like he was coasting, didn't seem threatened by Santos at any point in that one. I do think Reyes provides challenges that could trouble Jones, but not because Jones is "out of his prime" but because Reyes is a fuckin monster.

I don't think so.

Reyes' standup is awkward and he seems off balance an awful lot, open for a lot of shots but I might be putting too much stock into his older fights. He's improved a lot but I don't think he's on Jones' level or really near it, and I think he'll get worked. His awkwardness is actually pretty good cause Jones is so technical with his defense covering for what would normally come next, throwing unexpected stuff from weird spots could be a positive thing, he's got good power, that left is a lazer, he's hungry and his improvements every fight seem really good.

I still think Jon works him especially if he's mixing up td's getting Reyes off his game which is of course something Jon is great at. I think highly of Reyes but I think Jon is just too good for him and shows big time in this fight as he puts on a master's class. Obviously Reyes seems to have a very bright future, but I think he's quite overrated atm and idt he'll offer much to Jones minus landing a fight changing shot or two, but I hope to hell i'm wrong.

Reyes looked great closing the show in his last fight vs Weidman but at this point and up at 205 it's just not what it would have been before, and winning a split decision (should of been unanimous 29-28 imo) vs Volkan in the fight before is of course impressive but this is Jon Jones were talking about. I don't think he's experienced and skilled enough yet to get it done. As far as Jon's last fight that he gets so much flack for, I thought he put on a very safe fight and did just enough to win while being super careful with Santos. It was a very intelligent fight and if anything it shows his elite mental game and not him slowing down, but that's my opinion. Maybe he is, Idk, to me it just looked like he was taking as little risk as possible and would have been more aggressive on his hurt foe if he needed to be but he didn't (although he was cutting it too close).

I hope Reyes pulls it off, but I don't think this will even be all that competitive. I see way too many holes in Reyes' game to out skill Jones but maybe he catches him..Or maybe Reyes beats him by decision, who knows, were all wrong all the time in this sport, that's why it's so intriguing.

War Reyes!

Dude I have the exact same thoughts. For me, Prime Jones' last fight was the DC rematch, and even there he was getting hit a bunch. Jones just doesn't seem to be the same person who was throwing around DC and Rashad like children. If Reyes clinches with Jones, then it might be game over. But if he keeps enough distance for a kickboxing match, which is what Santos did, then I really think Jones finally loses.

Jones will slow the fight down to his pace and win a UD. Reyes too green.

Reyes is so outgunned and over his head, that he might just do it.
Tyson was 40:1 favorite too.

Jones already lost to Santos.

I don't think Reyes can make it, but i thought the same about Santos.

Back