Is Derrick Lewis using BJJ without ever learning it exists?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I’m a white belt in BJJ learning my first few sweeps.

And it looks like his “Just get up” defence is an explosive type of shrimping mixed with strikes

Thug Jitsu

Yves-Edwards-UFC-58-450x260.jpg

Last edited:
Lewis is one of the GOATs, impossible to deny.

Some fuckers get away with being ridiculously strong.

How sad the HW division is when Lewis is top 10 and a title challenger.

The only division to actually regress in talent and skill, full of 40 year olds.

How sad the HW division is when Lewis is top 10 and a title challenger.

The only division to actually regress in talent and skill, full of 40 year olds.
If cain didn't get hurt and Lesnar never left the top 10 would be virtually unchanged over the past 15 years

Shrimping is just one action involved in setting up a sweep - all it does is make space between you and your opponent to do an actual sweep, like retain guard, get butterfly hooks ect. In that whole vid, the only technical thing he did to get to his feet was grab a big underhook and switch his base to the same side - an actual (although very basic) technique. Even with the kimura escape, he simply muscled out of it as opposed to the most obvious escape of using momentum to turn the other way (see GSP vs Hughes I).

He's just a big strong dude who can muscle his way back to his feet. Literally every time he got back to his feet - even from side guard - involved him giving up his back and simply standing up. You can for sure give up your back to escape, but you need to roll quickly or dive on a knee, and if you are really talented an arm...for regular sized people. He's not a regular guy though and can just stand up with another HW's weight on him.

Freak athlete, but BB has little to no BJJ.

black beast is just too strong.

he gets tired a bit so he just takes a break to recover on the ground resting on his back, and once he has recovered wether it be like a minute or so, he is like 'ok time to get back up now' and he just muscles his way back up. its fucking hilarious.

Shrimping is just one action involved in setting up a sweep - all it does is make space between you and your opponent to do an actual sweep, like retain guard, get butterfly hooks ect. In that whole vid, the only technical thing he did to get to his feet was grab a big underhook and switch his base to the same side - an actual (although very basic) technique. Even with the kimura escape, he simply muscled out of it as opposed to the most obvious escape of using momentum to turn the other way (see GSP vs Hughes I).

He's just a big strong dude who can muscle his way back to his feet. Literally every time he got back to his feet - even from side guard - involved him giving up his back and simply standing up. You can for sure give up your back to escape, but you need to roll quickly or dive on a knee, and if you are really talented an arm...for regular sized people. He's not a regular guy though and can just stand up with another HW's weight on him.

Freak athlete, but BB has little to no BJJ.
I think his round build really helps in all those escapes.

i have a question. if it's only about strength why can't the other HWs do the same thing? he's the only HW who can get up from under ANYONE. even from under DC. i get that he's strong, but so are the other HWs.

He cuts to 265 doesn't he? So he has a grappling advantage against smaller guys.
Roy does, too, but he is shorter and fatter.

I think his round build really helps in all those escapes.
No doubt, but the fact that no one has been able to capitalise on him willingly giving up his back so many times is a testament to his strength. No one in other weight classes get away with that because they are roughly the same size. BB is huge, even for HW. Plus HWs aren't exactly quick scramblers.

He does very well considering he applies next to no fundamental techniques for escapes. Then again, how often do you see modern HWs use their BJJ to win at high levels? Mir, Big Nog, and Werdum are a dying breed. BJJ is literally the definitive discipline for smaller guys to beat bigger guys. That's why the Gracies sent Royce in for the first UFCs instead of his bigger, equally skilled brothers. It was to prove a point.

He is teaching conor this move, that's why khabib isn't taking the fight.

Most things are application of intuition. He can probably feel what he needs to do... unless Cormier is choking him out.

He has good hips and good timing/feeling for when to use them. It's true that Marcelo's sit up escape from side control doesn't look all that different at a glance, but the devil is in the details for these things.

A lot of it just comes down to his absurd strength and size. Giving up your back and coming up to all fours and just shaking your opponent off... yea it requires a lot of strength.

Back