Which fighters were ready when Dana chose 10 day camp Mendes and Cabo Nate to fight Conor?

TheToqueville

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In both of these cases, there were fighters who were in fighting shape and ready to fight Conor when his first opponents fell through. But instead, Dana went out of his way to choose fighters who had not been training/were out of shape, to make Conor look good (obviously Cabo Nate blew up in his face).

Does anyone remember which fighters volunteered who were in fighting shape and ready to go? For the Mendes fight, I believe Frankie Edgar said he was in fighting shape and ready, but Dana turned him down and instead chose an unprepared fighter who almost beat him anyway (until Mendes gassed).

Anyone remember the other fighters who volunteered to step in for each of those fights?

stroller.jpg

Last edited:
Cerrone wanted to fight Conor.

Probably would have been a better fight at that time.

The conor salt threads keep on coming. This is gotta a new record. It's not stopping.

source.gif

Frankie Edgar who is always in shape and was ranked higher than Chad REALLY wanted the Conor fight.
Very convenient I know

Mendes and Frankie were the clear frontrunners to fight for an interim title. Chad was coming off a KO of Lamas and a FOTY with Aldo, while Frankie was coming off an uninspiring performance against Faber. That contributed to Chad being given the shot. It wasn't about giving Conor an easier fight, you conspiracy theorist maniacs. Chad's arguably a tougher matchup in that he's a power wrestler that doesn't need to set up his takedowns with his hands as much as Frankie does. But the most important factor in Chad getting the fight was negotiations. Ali Abdelaziz was negotiating on behalf of Frankie, which makes it even easier to understand why Chad got the shot. He was paid $500k btw.

Diaz and Cerrone were top of the fan polls after RDA got injured. Pettis and Alvarez were others in consideration by fans. I think we can safely say with hindsight that Diaz is the toughest of those four potential matchups for Conor. Meanwhile, Aldo and Frankie both turned down the fight. Diaz was just the clear winner in terms of fan excitement. He'd just come off the MJ victory and the big Conor callout, and like I said, he was comfortably leading the polls.

I forget which time it was, but Penn, the crazy bastard that he is, wanted to fight Conor after one of those pull outs.

Mendes and Frankie were the clear frontrunners to fight for an interim title. Chad was coming off a KO of Lamas and a FOTY with Aldo, while Frankie was coming off an uninspiring performance against Faber. That contributed to Chad being given the shot. It wasn't about giving Conor an easier fight, you conspiracy theorist maniacs. Chad's arguably a tougher matchup in that he's a power wrestler that doesn't need to set up his takedowns with his hands as much as Frankie does. But the most important factor in Chad getting the fight was negotiations. Ali Abdelaziz was negotiating on behalf of Frankie, which makes it even easier to understand why Chad got the shot. He was paid $500k btw.

Diaz and Cerrone were top of the fan polls after RDA got injured. Pettis and Alvarez were others in consideration by fans. I think we can safely say with hindsight that Diaz is the toughest of those four potential matchups for Conor. Meanwhile, Aldo and Frankie both turned down the fight. Diaz was just the clear winner in terms of fan excitement. He'd just come off the MJ victory and the big Conor callout, and like I said, he was comfortably leading the polls.
Khabib says hello

Yeah, Mendes seemed like the tougher matchup at the time. If Frankie was any tougher, it wasn't by much. Basically no matter who Conor fights he'll be accused of ducking whoever he didn't fight.

Yeah, Mendes seemed like the tougher matchup at the time. If Frankie was any tougher, it wasn't by much. Basically no matter who Conor fights he'll be accused of ducking whoever he didn't fight.
not true mate, if he takes out couple of hungry contenders, no one will be against him.
For example now, if he had fought Gaethje, then Kevin Lee, then the winner of Felder vs Hooker and Poirier i promise you every MMA fan would be with him.

Last edited:
And no matter what, his fans will always make excuses for the guys

not true mate, if he takes out couple of hungry contenders, no one will be against him.
For example now, if he had fought Gaethje, then Kevin Lee, then the winner of Felder vs Hooker and Poirier i promise you every MMA fan would with him.
At least 1 contender would be satisfactory.

No. I'm not a Conor nuthugger, but the dude was game at that time. RDA got injured, Frankie had a groin problem, Aldo said he needed more time, they even considered Faber, but got down to Cowboy and Nate. Nate had a victory over Cowboy and he cut the best promo on the Conz after beating MJ, so they went with Nate. Pettis was on a 2 fight losing streak, booked for another beating vs Barboza.

Conor would've fought anyone then, his invincibility delusions were off the charts then.

Back