I can't be the only one who thinks Khabib Vs Tony is a bit of a mismatch

Bobbybackpack

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Now it is the most hyped fighted in MMA history. It's a fight between two fighters each on 12 fight winning streaks which has probably never happened ever! I get all of that but in reality, or at least on paper, it's probably not even going to be Khabib's hardest fight so far. This is why:

STANDING UP

- Tony gets taken down relatively easily and will almost invite takedowns in order to play into his dangerous bottom game.

- Tony doesn't have the 1 shot KO power required to put Khabib out early. Khabib might take some shots in the first round but he will have plenty of chances to keep trying to take Tony down and he can actually be more aggressive in the striking because Tony isn't really a sniper either. Tony is also fairly hittable and Khabib hits hard. The takedown down threat will make him even more hittable.

ON THE GROUND

- I understand that Tony is very dangerous off his back and he's good with elbows too but he's only really effective when he's inside the guard. Khabib doesn't play around in anyone's guard and he won't be in any position for Tony to effectively elbow or attack with submissions. He'll have Tony against the fence with his legs trapped and his wrist controlled. Or he'll stack Tony in his guard with his legs crossed and land heavy blows from a standing position. He also stands up in people's half guard to do his ground and pound. Tony's guard isn't exactly impossible to pass either.

- Kevin Lee had him in full mount and Danny Castillo arguably won their fight using grappling. If Khabib has him in full mount, he is trapping one of Tony's arms first before smashing him. Khabib also isn't gassing like Kevin Lee.

- Tony's glass tank is the best in the UFC imo (not just P4P) but how good will it be after 2 or 3 rounds of repeated smeshing. Tony gets chaotic and frantic when he's in bad situations like when he was flailing his arms all over the place when Kevin Lee was hitting him from full mount. Or when Pettis dropped him and he was spinning like he's in a washing machine. I can imagine him wasting his energy (yes it's actually possible, he's a human being) when Khabib has him in horrific positions which he'll achieve relatively easily.

Tony is an awesome fighter and the 2nd best lightweight ever but I've got to be honest. I think a lot of fans are inflating his chances and his abilities in general because they've bought in to this idea that Tony Ferguson is some super human whose gas tank literally does not run out or he gets dropped as part of his strategy. Or that he's the type of guy to beat Khabib off his back whilst talking to him.

Long story short, I think people have taken the 'Tony is the type of guy' joke too far and now they really see him that way.

Tony vs Habib is the most anticipated fight in recent history.
Two unbeatable destroyers crashing into each other.
Its Germany vs Russia all over again

U have to be crazy or plain dumb for thinking Tony’s a easy win for Khabib

I think TONY beats Khabib

No idea who wins but I don't think this is a easy win for either guy

mismatch?

russell-westbrook.jpg

Tony vs Habib is the most anticipated fight in recent history.
Two unbeatable destroyers crashing into each other.
Its Germany vs Russia all over again

tenor.gif

The route is clear for Tony here.

He will have to catch Khabib with something. Khabib will control him and dominate for most of the fight and it will largely take place on the ground.

But here is the thing. Ferg is the best in the world at exactly that type of fight. He can weather adversity like noone else and create and find odd openings from any position. That's the factor that will have you on the edge of your seat the whole fight.

Chances are Khabib dominates for five rounds, possibly a late sub. But Ferg can catch Khabib with anything, subs or strikes any second of the fight.

Can't wait. Fingers crossed.

calling it a missmatch is fucking stupid lol

I do strongly favor khabib as time goes on tho. I think hes gonna shock the world and ragdoll tony just like everyone and the elbows/bjj defense wont even be a factor

Tony is big dude and have great skills

...and Khabib hits hard.
{<jordan}

He bruises his opponents at best, they all look fine and can go again within a week. Paradoxically, Khabib is one of the easiest fights in the division. A guaranteed loss, but he won't clear your clock or do something gruesome to you (unless you're Conor; I doubt he'd pull an MJ and politely ask Conor to tap if he got him in a kimura).

Anyways, Khabib's getting better all the time and is in his prime. Tony's, however, insane. Very weird and unpredictable. And if you goof up like Khabib did vs Doostin, Tony's not gonna let that neck slide. And, looking back at the latest Khabib fights - there's no way this will be an even bigger mismatch than Doostin, Conor, MJ or Edson. At the very least, expect some crimson kabuki action...

V0kXIWX.jpg

Now it is the most hyped fighted in MMA history. It's a fight between two fighters each on 12 fight winning streaks which has probably never happened ever! I get all of that but in reality, or at least on paper, it's probably not even going to be Khabib's hardest fight so far. This is why:

STANDING UP

- Tony gets taken down relatively easily and will almost invite takedowns in order to play into his dangerous bottom game.

- Tony doesn't have the 1 shot KO power required to put Khabib out early. Khabib might take some shots in the first round but he will have plenty of chances to keep trying to take Tony down and he can actually be more aggressive in the striking because Tony isn't really a sniper either. Tony is also fairly hittable and Khabib hits hard. The takedown down threat will make him even more hittable.

ON THE GROUND

- I understand that Tony is very dangerous off his back and he's good with elbows too but he's only really effective when he's inside the guard. Khabib doesn't play around in anyone's guard and he won't be in any position for Tony to effectively elbow or attack with submissions. He'll have Tony against the fence with his legs trapped and his wrist controlled. Or he'll stack Tony in his guard with his legs crossed and land heavy blows from a standing position. He also stands up in people's half guard to do his ground and pound. Tony's guard isn't exactly impossible to pass either.

- Kevin Lee had him in full mount and Danny Castillo arguably won their fight using grappling. If Khabib has him in full mount, he is trapping one of Tony's arms first before smashing him. Khabib also isn't gassing like Kevin Lee.

- Tony's glass tank is the best in the UFC imo (not just P4P) but how good will it be after 2 or 3 rounds of repeated smeshing. Tony gets chaotic and frantic when he's in bad situations like when he was flailing his arms all over the place when Kevin Lee was hitting him from full mount. Or when Pettis dropped him and he was spinning like he's in a washing machine. I can imagine him wasting his energy (yes it's actually possible, he's a human being) when Khabib has him in horrific positions which he'll achieve relatively easily.

Tony is an awesome fighter and the 2nd best lightweight ever but I've got to be honest. I think a lot of fans are inflating his chances and his abilities in general because they've bought in to this idea that Tony Ferguson is some super human whose gas tank literally does not run out or he gets dropped as part of his strategy. Or that he's the type of guy to beat Khabib off his back whilst talking to him.

Long story short, I think people have taken the 'Tony is the type of guy' joke too far and now they really see him that way.

The real question is: will Khabib bleed or not?

n5metedsl3m31.png

Yeah, I don't see Ferg winning this. He's a great fighter, but Khabib has the style to beat him easily.

It's like you said, Ferg was getting taken down at will by Kevin Lee. If lee can do that, Khabib absolutely can.

The main thing I see in this fight is the fact that Tony isn't going to be able to do whatever people keep claiming he's going to be able to do from the bottom because Khabib isn't going to just lay on him. In every fight, Khabib always favors the stacked guard for his ground and pound. Tony's elbows from the bottom aren't going to reach and he's going to be too busy defending from strikes from the stacked guard to be able to think about any sort of sub attempts.

His only chance for me is if he can somehow take it in too deep water and make sure that he makes Khabib work hard all the way there. Khabib slows down a lot. Tony could hurt him badly here, but then, Tony is probably going to take a hiding just to get to this point himself.

I'll be sure to bump this after Tony wins.

STANDING UP

ON THE GROUND

Lols. khabib has made a career out of decisioning mediocre lw fighters and bullying featherweights (poirer and conrad). he could not even finish barboza while cerrone ktfo'd him. Ferguson should be the favourite in this one. Khabib blankets tony for 1-2 rounds then gets busted up imo.

Yeah, I don't see Ferg winning this. He's a great fighter, but Khabib has the style to beat him easily.

It's like you said, Ferg was getting taken down at will by Kevin Lee. If lee can do that, Khabib absolutely can.

The main thing I see in this fight is the fact that Tony isn't going to be able to do whatever people keep claiming he's going to be able to do from the bottom because Khabib isn't going to just lay on him. In every fight, Khabib always favors the stacked guard for his ground and pound. Tony's elbows from the bottom aren't going to reach and he's going to be too busy defending from strikes from the stacked guard to be able to think about any sort of sub attempts.

His only chance for me is if he can somehow take it in too deep water and make sure that he makes Khabib work hard all the way there. Khabib slows down a lot. Tony could hurt him badly here, but then, Tony is probably going to take a hiding just to get to this point himself.
lols. and what happened. khabib didnt even hurt ragin al.

I'm picking Tony.
I don't think it's a given but if the odds are right I may drop some money on it.

I think Khabib is comfortable in every fight because once he gets it to the ground he can wear his opponents down. Two things decide this fight. Does Khabib get it to the ground before getting sliced up by elbows? Does Khabib GNP Tony the way he has everyone or does he get sliced with elbows from the bottom?

Tony sitting at home with a file to his elbows and planning strategy with his training partners. He's alone in that room but don't try telling him that.

lols. and what happened. khabib didnt even hurt ragin al.

He did plenty of damage in those first two rounds.

But yeah, Khabib didn't even look like he had the energy to go for a takedown in the 4th and 5th. If Tony's still in the fight at that point, I'm not sure Khabib stands any chance at all. Tony's a mad dog. If he gets hammered for 2 or 3 rounds, you just know he's going to all out for the kill in the last 2 rounds.

Can not wait for this fight.

Back