Conor is the Purest Southpaw in the Game

West Linn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Conor is about as pure a southpaw as you can get. A true southpaw, a left handed fighter who fights southpaw, with a crazy left hand.

The old myth that southpaws are a bad matchup for orthodox figthers is correct. Conor is a true testament to that. Look at him vs Aldo, Alvarez, and now Cerrone--3 super orthodox fighters who don't switch stances. Ultra orthodox fighters who don't switch stances are tailor made for Conor.

That's why Nate gave Conor so many problems, because he is a southpaw fighter.

However Diaz is not a pure southpaw fighter, he is right handed who fights from southpaw, so a strong hand forward fighter. The different angles of this stance is what gave Conor so many problems.

If you're an orthodox fighter who doesn't naturally switch stances, against Conor, you're in for a long night.

conor-mcgregor-3-1.jpg

Last edited:
This isn’t true because basics knowledge is whatever a southpaw can do to an orthodox , A orthodox fighter can do to a southpaw factually with the exception of different strikers to hit the liver.
Being a southpaw doesn’t make you better at this, floyd never had a problem, i dont recall khabib switching often.
Mcgregors beaten some good southpaws too

This isn’t true because basics knowledge is whatever a southpaw can do to an orthodox , A orthodox fighter can do to a southpaw factually with the exception of different strikers to hit the liver.
Being a southpaw doesn’t make you better at this, floyd never had a problem, i dont recall khabib switching often.

Floyd fight isnt worth much of a mention seeing as how it was a boxing match with one of the greatest ever against an MMA fighter.

In theory you would be correct, whatever a southpaw can do to an orthodox fighter, the orthodox fighter can do to the southpaw. That's why they say the best weapon against a southpaw fighter is a strong right hand. But in reality, that's not how it plays out, especially in Conor's case.

And like I said, the reason he's beaten good southpaws is because he is 'more' southpaw than them. He is the purest southpaw with the most dangerous left.

Last edited:

That was like one of the few times he's been rocked by an orthodox fighter and Khabib timed it perfectly. Besides that, Khabib wasn't effective at all in the standup, it was a good shot.

Last edited:
That was like the only time he's been rocked by an orthodox fighter and Khabib timed it perfectly. That was the only time Khabib was effective in the standup, it was a good shot.

I would have to disagree. Khabib was much more effective during the stand up portions of their fight then I thought he would be. He was able to maintain distance well, use the jab to land, did not over commit to his punches, and did well to use angles and foot work to neutralize Conors stand up. And a good orthodox fighter does not have to switch stances to be effective against a southpaw. They stances are natural enemies to each-other and possess each others kryptonite as the best remedy for that straight left hand is the straight right and visa-versa. Conor being south paw is definitely an advantage but the fact that he is much more skilled stand up fighter and offensive/defensive thinker than his opponents is a much bigger advantage for him.

I would have to disagree. Khabib was much more effective during the stand up portions of their fight then I thought he would be. He was able to maintain distance well, use the jab to land, did not over commit to his punches, and did well to use angles and foot work to neutralize Conors stand up. And a good orthodox fighter does not have to switch stances to be effective against a southpaw. They stances are natural enemies to each-other and possess each others kryptonite as the best remedy for that straight left hand, and the straight right and visa-versa. Conor being south paw is definitely an advantage but the fact that he is much more skilled stand up fighter and offensive/defensive thinker than his opponents is a much bigger advantage for him.

I agree with what you said. Khabib did well and Conor being such a skilled standup fighter plays a huge part in his success. I do believe still that in him being so ultra southpaw, there lies an inherent natural advantage for him.

Anderson Silva?

Anderson is right handed naturally who fights from southpaw, much like Diaz who I mentioned.

Steven-Seagal-and-Anderson-Silva-570.jpg

There are a lot of other fighters who fight from this stance. Anderson's strength was never a crazy left, it was the angles and points of attack that open up with a strong hand forward style.

That's why Nate gave Conor so many problems, because he is a southpaw fighter.

lol Nate gave Conor problems because he's got an iron jaw that eventually drained Conor's power. Conor landed early, huge, flush left hands virtually at will in both contests.

lol Nate gave Conor problems because he's got an iron jaw that eventually drained Conor's power. Conor landed early, huge, flush left hands virtually at will in both contests.

Nate has a lot of strengths that benefitted him against McGregor. The jaw was one of them. His cardio was another. And his unconventional strong hand forward style was yet another.

Nate has a lot of strengths that benefited him against McGregor. The jaw was one of them. His cardio was another. And his unconventional strong hand forward style was yet another.

You are two for three here. :)

Anderson is right handed naturally who fights from southpaw, much like Diaz who I mentioned.

Steven-Seagal-and-Anderson-Silva-570.jpg

There are a lot of other fighters who fight from this stance. Anderson's strength was never a crazy left, it was the angles and points of attack that open up with a strong hand forward style.

A lot of left handed people write right handed because our writing system is designed for right handed people.

Floyd fight isnt worth much of a mention seeing as how it was a boxing match with one of the greatest ever against an MMA fighter.

In theory you would be correct, whatever a southpaw can do to an orthodox fighter, the orthodox fighter can do to the southpaw. That's why they say the best weapon against a southpaw fighter is a strong right hand. But in reality, that's not how it plays out, especially in Conor's case.

And like I said, the reason he's beaten good southpaws is because he is 'more' southpaw than them. He is the purest southpaw with the most dangerous left.
That doesnt make sense, khabib didnt beat mcgrgeor was he was a purer orthodox fighter, i think you’re over dramatizing something simple like stance

That doesnt make sense, khabib didnt beat mcgrgeor was he was a purer orthodox fighter, i think you’re over dramatizing something simple like stance

I think this discussion is way too intelligent and nuanced for you.

A lot of left handed people write right handed because our writing system is designed for right handed people.

Yeah lefted handed people used to be forced to write with their right hand because people thought it was some kind of a disease like 50 years ago. It's 2019. Anderson is right handed who fights from southpaw much like many high level strikers.

What is the exception? It's a mirror image, they can do the exact same thing. The issue is, however, that a southpaw is used to sparring and fighting orthodox fighters 90% of the time, while the opposite is true for an orthodox fighter. That's why the southpaw often times holds the advantage.

Back