Why are wmma odds so crazy?

blaseblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Roxanne was a +700 underdog against Maycee Barber. That's insane. Roxanne was ranked ahead of her and had several high level wins. If these were male fighters the odds wouldn't be nearly as lopsided. What is it about wmma that makes the odds so crazy? We see it with any hyped female fighter. Ronda was getting much more lopsided betting lines than Jones or GSP were, despite the fact they were much more dominant and well-rounded. Jones, with all his accomplishments, is still not even close to being the betting favorite against Reyes that Barber was against Roxy. Wtf?

Because the skill level is amateurish. So it's like watching kids fight

No one watches it so the bookies just make shit up.

Roxanne was a +700 underdog against Maycee Barber. That's insane. Roxanne was ranked ahead of her and had several high level wins. If these were male fighters the odds wouldn't be nearly as lopsided. What is it about wmma that makes the odds so crazy? We see it with any hyped female fighter. Ronda was getting much more lopsided betting lines than Jones or GSP were, despite the fact they were much more dominant and well-rounded. Jones, with all his accomplishments, is still not even close to being the betting favorite against Reyes that Barber was against Roxy. Wtf?

It's Roxy.
She's underdog in most of her fights. Usually moderate or heavy.

She had plenty of upset wins during her career.

It's Roxy.
She's underdog in most of her fights. Usually moderate or heavy.

She had plenty of upset wins during her career.

But there are many other fights with the same lopsided odds. Ronda fights, Shevchenko fights, etc. Super hyped women get much better gambling odds than men do. Even dominant GOAT level men.

But there are many other fights with the same lopsided odds. Ronda fights, Shevchenko fights, etc. Super hyped women get much better gambling odds than men do. Even dominant GOAT level men.

Ronda and Shevchenko are/were on another level of hype.
Dominant champions on dominant streaks will always be heavy favorites. Maybe they look so much head above their whole divisions...

there probably isnt very much money or bets on female fights.

the chance of crazy shit happening is less because they lack ko power

I guess that a lot of people don't bother to be well-informed about WMMA. And being poorly informed, they more easily buy into hype. For this reason, I've long thought I could make a lot of money betting on WMMA if I was willing to bet on it (and was self-controlled enough to wait for the unrealistic odds that sometimes appear).

The only person I can think of with such insane odds was Khabib vs Dustin, I think it was like -1000 for Khabib and more than +400 or something for Dustin.

The only person I can think of with such insane odds was Khabib vs Dustin, I think it was like -1000 for Khabib and more than +400 or something for Dustin.

Judging by how easily he clowned Dustin, the odds were right.

Alexa Grasso was probably on her period and couldn’t cut the extra water weight. Women fights are always a crap shoot.

It's a combination of things, but I feel like the divisions not being fully formed plays a large part in it.

Alexa Grasso was probably on her period and couldn’t cut the extra water weight. Women fights are always a crap shoot.

Grasso stated already she constantly diets even outside of camp to make sure she hits 115, which honestly a lot of other fights in that division don't really do.

If you see her at 115 in her past fights, she was pretty cut and lean. At this weigh in, she was pretty big, not even close to flabby like the other 125s or 135s, she was just solid, even with the water weight she could cut, I don't think she was on her period this time, but she has stated that the Flu and periods does make it hard for her.

Can't wait to see a more jacked up cardio Alexa tbh, could be very interesting seeing her at 125.

I bet the over 2.5 rounds for Holm and Pennington. Sure the odds were garbage at -650, but free money is free money

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back