Did Cowboy have any reason at all to be motivated 2 win?

SirKratos

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Spot in UFC is safe
Legacy already cemented
Fat paycheck

Why would he care about giving fans a war, or to win really?

I’m not saying he took a dive but MMA is such a joke sometimes with fights like this when there is absolutely nothing at stake for one of the fighters

A dive lol he got caught early. He got his nose broken and head kicked before he could even put up a fight

A dive lol he got caught early. He got his nose broken and head kicked before he could even put up a fight

Got caught with what exactly?

He was already fading even before the headkick, by shoulder strikes no less...

Because UFC is now stuck in a contract with him and forced to pay him big money after that shit performance and they will try to make him retire or be forced to cut him so they dont have to pay him all that money.

Spot in UFC is safe
Legacy already cemented
Fat paycheck

I’m not saying he took a dive but MMA is such a joke sometimes with fights like this when there is absolutely nothing at stake for one of the fighters

I agree he mailed it in and was not looking to really go for it. He was going to quit at the first sign of trouble. That being said, guys who do this in my opinion are not being intelligent even if money is their primary motivator. Winning means rematch potential, potential for bigger fights, more negotiating power for contracts etc. Unless of course this was more than just him quitting but i'd need more proof for that. Wouldnt be surprised though.

A win would have got him an immediate rematch and even more money just the same as it did for Nate.

Spot in UFC is safe
Legacy already cemented
Fat paycheck

LOL - are you serious?

What happened to Nate Diaz when he beat Conor? (hint: think about his subsequent earnings inside and outside the cage)

LOL - are you serious?

What happened to Nate Diaz when he beat Conor? (hint: think about his subsequent earnings inside and outside the cage)
You right, Cowboy had plenty to gain if he won but he is way past his prime and should retire. What upset me the most was that he didn’t even look upset after getting wrecked in 40secs

LOL - are you serious?

Oh come on, that was the first time Conor lost in UFC, so of course there had to be a rematch. The mystic was still there

If Conor lost tonight, how would anyone think a rematch against Cerrone would be nothing but a complete irrelevant journeyman joke?

He probably made more losing. I doubt he'll be around for much longer.

You right, Cowboy had plenty to gain if he won but he is way past his prime and should retire. What upset me the most was that he didn’t even look upset after getting wrecked in 40secs

I mean it happens when your fighting the best. This is far from the first time cerrone got crushed.

I think "way" past his prime might be a bit much...but I would agree that he is on the downturn. He just lost three in row (and badly), but all were to top fighters...but he is not that far removed from a three-fight win streak before, including two stoppages.

What has become clear is that Cerrone is no longer a title contender at any weight class...but there are still a few interesting fights out there for him. This loss, the way it happened...that is going to haunt him though...no doubt about that.

Oh come on, that was the first time Conor lost in UFC, so of course there had to be a rematch. The mystic was still there

If Conor lost tonight, how would anyone think a rematch against Cerrone would be nothing but a complete irrelevant journeyman joke?

It would definitely have depended how Conor lost, but I agree that the likelihood of a rematch would have been less than when Conor lost to Nate.

A similar loss though, where Conor started well, but then got stopped...sure it could have motivated a rematch. Where else would Conor go? He would not get a top fight at LW if he lost to Cerrone. Justin would clearly be off the table and cemented in place for for Khabib-Tony winner, while Jorge-Usman would also become all-but-certain...so the option for Conor would likely have been a Cerrone rematch or the Nate trilogy.

Even without a Conor rematch, a win would have opened up opportunities for Cerrone. While already a household name and future HOFer in the MMA world, beating Conor would have elevated his status even further.

A high-profile rematch with Nate would have been a highly marketable fight...or perhaps Thompson...even Colby (terrible matchup). Cerrone's stock would have been high, regardless. Now? We have people calling for him to hang them up after three brutal loses, instead of contemplating future matchups.

Sherdog is acting like Conor is a decision machine, he’s lethal and known for destroying guys early. Anyone remember one of the goats in Jose Aldo?

That outcome was prodded at every angle to discredit the win and it’s the same here.

It’s much easier to fold when he knows he’ll get the biggest paycheck regardless of the outcome.

“Ouch my nose hurts. Fk it I’ll turtle and call it a night”

All smiles afterwards.

did he not get his win money? or did he get a flat amount?

The problem is not the winning bonus. The problem is when losing is more lucrative than winning. It is quite easy for Cerrone to get a backroom deal that was worth more than $200k to win. At this stage of his career, it's about more economics rather than pride, honor, and legacy.

Back