Isn't Cerrone the perfect stylistic match-up for Conor?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He is not a beasty wrestler, no outstanding background. Just an MMA guy....

What is the line of thinking in the MMA community? Won't this just be a routine win for Conor like against Alvarez?

You mean perfect for Cerrone to lose. Starts slow, hates pressure, and just wants to bang regardless of attempting to dominate his opponent where he is weaker. And Conor starts fast, thrives on pressure, and lulls his opponents into baiting and striking where he can counter and is strongest. We all know that Cerrone is predictable and stubborn and this is likely what will lead to his KO in this match. Yes perfect stylistic match up for Conor to win.

Last edited:
35cd46b2798bc2e62f1409c6f8ca5e59.gif

Kinda

Slow starter, stance is very erect (paws) with his chin in the air and little head movement

Still dangerous tho

Unless he takes it to the floor, he's seriously underrated on the ground and would win easily. Sadly I think he stands with Conor and gets starched.

He is not a beasty wrestler, no outstanding background. Just an MMA guy....

What is the line of thinking in the MMA community? Won't this just be a routine win for Conor like against Alvarez?
uhm, do you not know anything about his background? He's got some amazing kicks, trained at jackson/wink mma for years, definitely has a well rounded background. this man can wrestle a bull.

Cerone has decent kicks and a good clinch game. If he uses his size and makes this a dirty fight, against the fence, Conor may fade and get caught.

if you have to ask you haven't been paying attention. There is pretty much a universal consensus that this is a nice smoothed out stepping stone for connor.
Hoping for the upset, but seriously seriously doubt it will happen

Yes. That is why this is as close to a fixed fight as can be without Cerrone being explicitly told to throw the fight. His style, attitude (sometimes I don't even feel like winning), low IQ (I should probably take him down but I won't or even use more kicks), and decreased punch resistance over the last few years, are why most people see this as a set-up to gift McGregor another title shot and get that hype train rolling again.

This fight would have been far more interesting a few years ago which is why it was never made. UFC didn't want to risk McGregor cash cow losing.

I think Cerrone's best chance at winning is a head kick that McGregor never sees coming but this is unlikely to happen.

uhm, do you not know anything about his background? He's got some amazing kicks, trained at jackson/wink mma for years, definitely has a well rounded background. this man can wrestle a bull.

So what if he's a good kicker. Conor beat Denis Siver easily. Denis has a lot of merits in Kickboxing prior to MMA.

Yes. That is why this is as close to a fixed fight as can be without Cerrone being explicitly told to throw the fight. His style, attitude (sometimes I don't even feel like winning), low IQ (I should probably take him down but I won't or even use more kicks), and decreased punch resistance over the last few years, are why most people see this as a set-up to gift McGregor another title shot and get that hype train rolling again.

This fight would have been far more interesting a few years ago which is why it was never made. UFC didn't want to risk McGregor cash cow losing.

I think Cerrone's best chance at winning is a head kick that McGregor never sees coming but this is unlikely to happen.

Couldn't agree more. That said, who else is there?

Yes it is, why still asking the Simple questions TS??? You know Conor handpicked him why still asking this!!??? The water is wet yes!

They didn't put the fight together because it's an interesting or dangerous matchup. Conor picked the opponent to get a win so they can pretend that justifies another title fight.

The fight he should of taken before Khabib, still good for the ufc to milk the cow when it's still young.

Couldn't agree more. That said, who else is there?

True it's slim pickings. Maybe Gaejthe or Lee. Don't know if they're fight schedules lined up but Lee at least would have posed a threat on the ground. Even with his suspect chin they weren't going to make that fight either and they won't unless they absolutely have to because no one's really left.

He’s a slow starter. He’s not the most durable fighter out there. He’s a big name and a legit win. Yes he was chosen for a reason and Conor is almost definitely walking away with a comeback win tonight

That's what everybody is saying... Last time Conor was this heavily favored was the first Diaz fight... Diaz on the other hand was actually a bad matchup though and people just didn't see it.

If cowboy were to KO Conrad with a headkick in the first round, would that be on par with Holly Holm sending Ronda into depression?

So what if he's a good kicker. Conor beat Denis Siver easily. Denis has a lot of merits in Kickboxing prior to MMA.

With all due respect to Dennis Siver, the guy is 5'7". Cowboy is 6", and some people argue 6'1". That's why it matters that Cowboy is a good kicker. He has the physical attributes to strongly enhance this talent in the fight. Someone that is 4'11" could be the best kicker in the world, but it wouldn't matter because they couldn't headkick someone much taller than them.

Back