Conor vs. Cowboy - My Two Cents

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Cerrone is known to be a 'slow starter'. This I think has to do with his style and biotype: he is a lanky, long ectomorph fighter who fights at long to medium range at best, and needs to find his distance to land his most effective strikes, straights and kicks. But finding one's distance can take time. He is not a pressure fighter, and fighters who succeed at beating are generally those that are able to close his range and pressure him before he gets comfortable. It works sometimes, like with RDA and Till, and doesn't in others, like with Hernandez and Al. I really wish he would use his grappling, but I feel he won't for fan-service, which is a shame.

Conor is a strange beast. He is traditionally known as a pressure counter fighter, which sounds like a contradiction. He leans back and waits for the counter straight and hooks from behind, leaning back with a low guard, similar to a karate stance at times. But he was also able to look for the counter punch while moving forward relentlessly because for the majority of his run he fought at FW where he held a significant size and reach advantage, and where he could bully his opponents. When he faced Nate, he had much more difficulty bullying the longer, bigger man, and he himself admitted it. He doesn't deal well when he's being pressured, tends to lose his relaxation and wastes energy. I don't think he can have consistent success against fighters his own size, or bigger.

I was a bit shocked at the height and size difference in the weigh ins. It's pretty significant. And I think he is not going to be an easy target for Conor to find. He evidently needs to head hunt early on, but I am starting to think he is going to be just out of Cerrone's reach trying to overextend, and Cerrone is going to quickly stop him in his tracks, possibly to a TKO or KO victory. The size is going to be a bigger factor than in the Diaz fights, unless Cerrone throws his methodic approach and goes brawl mode, in which case it's a coin toss.

I'm picking Cerrone by TKO round 1.

Conor has never been TKO’d, and it won’t happen tonight.

Expect a UFC boxing match with Conor KOing Cowboy between rds 1-3.

Conor has a longer reach than Cowboy. If he can tag Nate Diaz and drop him 3x, he can definitely finish Cowboy.

Cerrone is known to be a 'slow starter'. This I think has to do with his style and biotype: he is a lanky, long ectomorph fighter who fights at long to medium range at best, and needs to find his distance to land his most effective strikes, straights and kicks. But finding one's distance can take time. He is not a pressure fighter, and fighters who succeed at beating are generally those that are able to close his range and pressure him before he gets comfortable. It works sometimes, like with RDA and Till, and doesn't in others, like with Hernandez and Al. I really wish he would use his grappling, but I feel he won't for fan-service, which is a shame.

Conor is a strange beast. He is traditionally known as a pressure counter fighter, which sounds like a contradiction. He leans back and waits for the counter straight and hooks from behind, leaning back with a low guard, similar to a karate stance at times. But he was also able to look for the counter punch while moving forward relentlessly because for the majority of his run he fought at FW where he held a significant size and reach advantage, and where he could bully his opponents. When he faced Nate, he had much more difficulty bullying the longer, bigger man, and he himself admitted it. He doesn't deal well when he's being pressured, tends to lose his relaxation and wastes energy. I don't think he can have consistent success against fighters his own size, or bigger.

I was a bit shocked at the height and size difference in the weigh ins. It's pretty significant. And I think he is not going to be an easy target for Conor to find. He evidently needs to head hunt early on, but I am starting to think he is going to be just out of Cerrone's reach trying to overextend, and Cerrone is going to quickly stop him in his tracks, possibly to a TKO or KO victory. The size is going to be a bigger factor than in the Diaz fights, unless Cerrone throws his methodic approach and goes brawl mode, in which case it's a coin toss.

I agree with your analysis, particularly regarding the important role of Conor's reach advantage in his success. Against Cerrone he will not have that advantage (their reaches are nearly the same and Cerrone is taller), so that opens a huge window of opportunity for Cerrone to wear Conor down by staying out of his effective counter range. This won't be difficult for Cerrone because he is used to fighting at exactly that range. Conor is the favourite but Cerrone has a real chance here.

I agree about the type of fighters they are and the weaknesses you brought up.

I expect some bodywork of sorts from Connor, Cerrones shown hes liable there.Id like to see Cerrone test Conors stance by going to the lead leg early while trying to maintain his preferred distance.

That said Im putting money on Conor tko 2nd.

I think in the boxing range there is far more to Conor’s game than the reach advantage. His understanding of distance is second to none and he is able to lull his opponents into a false sense of security about where he can hit them before bringing his backfoot through with that big Left straight. He covers that distance in and out of the pocket with unbelievable effectiveness and he’s also very dangerous on the backfoot.

Cerrone’s real lack of head movement is my biggest concern for him in the stand up exchanges with Conor. McG will very quickly get a feel for his timing, I think he’ll work the body like he did against Mendes and then when Cerrone starts dropping his hands he will hit him at will up top.

I agree with your analysis, particularly regarding the important role of Conor's reach advantage in his success. Against Cerrone he will not have that advantage (their reaches are nearly the same and Cerrone is taller), so that opens a huge window of opportunity for Cerrone to wear Conor down by staying out of his effective counter range. This won't be difficult for Cerrone because he is used to fighting at exactly that range. Conor is the favourite but Cerrone has a real chance here.

I’m not bashing you but I will quote this and return when the fight is done.

This is the worst take I’ve seen for this fight literally . There’s no way in hell to compare Diaz pressure and Cerrone . Diaz May have an immortal chin while Cerrone throws combinations. Diaz can box and roll with shots , Cerrone can’t. Lol are people even like being realistic. Cerrone best option is leg kicks body kicks . No head kicks . Cerrone is not barboza, kicks will not be flying he sets them up with punches , unfortunately he is going to get pressured . And throw a lazy strait to set up his kick and get blasted

conor will TKO cerrone in less than 1 min... if gaethje has done it, there s no reason why conor can't do it. Of course if cowboy at least try to wrestle to make conor tired it would be another scenario, but he said he wouldn't. So conor will concuss him with a big left and GnP at the end.

If cowboy wins great, but I just want him to atleast make it interesting. Hard to expect a win when they have Herb reffing for Conor again.

Cowboy has fought much tougher guys than Conor, he just needs to be durable early on. Cowboy by 1st round tko seems a bit out there but we’ll see.

Last edited:

<TrumpWrong1>

Lol dude wtf

ppfrmxmnks6hoeuulnmv.gif

The difference is Conor really wants to win, for his peace, Cowboy is content with getting second places

Last edited by a moderator:
If Cowboy comes with a real game plan, this could be an interesting fight. If Cowboy actually wants to just stand and bang, he will probably get caught early. Cowboy has a path to victory which is to get the fight into the later rounds. I personally would use front kicks and attack the lead leg. In addition, if Conor is coming forward look to duck under for the TD. If Cowboy can tire McGregor and make him less confident, the fight dynamics change considerably. While not really a "wrestler", Cerrone has excellent submissions in the scrambles which Conor will tap to very quickly. Unfortunately, I think Cowboy will try and bang for a round, he probably makes it to R2 where he gets finished. But maybe his "pride" will get in the way like in "Pulp Fiction" and Cowboy will fight the right game plan rather than do what Dana, Conor and the fans want him to do which is lose.

You will quote that I think Conor is the favourite but Cerrone has a chance?

Forgot to BOLD what I wanted:

”This won't be difficult for Cerrone because he is used to fighting at exactly that range”

When Conor knows he's about to get TKO'd, he panic wrestles and/or gives up his neck, so it's submission loss and his retard fans can continue living with the delusion of him being the greatest striker ever.

I think height could be a factor, as pointed out.

Conor is one of those guys where if he's taller, he has a massive advantage (Alvarez, Aldo). But if he's the same height or shorter, then he's not nearly as devastating (ie Khabib, Diaz).

Back