Has Max been exposed? Would you pick him in a rematch?

Fatback96

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Has Max been exposed? Obviously doing what Volkanovski did is no easy task, but we got a sense of how to beat Max at UFC 245.

Leg kicks limit the movement of a fighter than relies on movement. Also, Max mostly boxes against his opponents because he can outbox them.
WELL, if you don't know how to check a leg kick, then it's hard to lean on that front foot and box. Volkanovski kicked Max's leg every time he tried to get in range to box.

Would you pick Volkanovski to retain his title in the rematch?
According to Sherdog, Max was never that good...
tenor.gif

He hasnt evolved at all,hes just a boxer who tries to utilize his range. No kicks,no wrestling,no clinch work.

He should have pressured alex more

Every fake ass smile was alex hurt And max could have capitalized

AJ came back from defeat and won easily, I expect the greatest FW from Hawaii to do the same.

I think Max tools him in the rematch.

I look forward to dropping some cash on that one

This loss could be the best thing for him to come back better.. and it’s not like he took any ungodly significant damage. 50/50 on the rematch.

He hasnt evolved at all,hes just a boxer who tries to utilize his range. No kicks,no wrestling,no clinch work.

Facts, a pretty basic fighter, just utilizes his strengths VERY well and he has elite level TDD. Not many guys have been able to take him down across his title reign or even the win streak he was on so they are forced to keep it on the feet. He started fucking Volk up in that 4th round by landing consistent punches to the body and you could see they were slowing him down. Max just needs to be the aggressor more and work on checking those leg kicks. But he's got that Diaz style where he is heavy on the front leg which he'll need to adjust the next go round. Still don't see a rematch going differently tho, Volk is just very skilled, and unless Max can finish he just gets beat at range.

Push volk back more. Bully him. Straight shots down the pipe

Definitely move to the right more.
Not to be rude. But thats what his gameplan likely was. He’s a pressure fighter with a mean straight and likely intended to circle away from folks power hand. Maybe he does it more, but I don’t see any of those things changing the game significantly. I think he’s gotta take a serious look at his gameplan. His pressure and striking should be a single weapon, not his whole gameplan. I would have recommended he clinch up and try to get shots out of the clinch. Volkanovski strong but max is a huge dude for FW. I would have liked to have seen him try to do some dirty boxing and get in closer to make those leg kicks ineffective, but once his mobility was hindered I’m sure it wouldn’t have been easy.

Not to be rude. But thats what his gameplan likely was. He’s a pressure fighter with a mean straight and likely intended to circle away from folks power hand. Maybe he does it more, but I don’t see any of those things changing the game significantly. I think he’s gotta take a serious look at his gameplan. His pressure and striking should be a single weapon, not his whole gameplan. I would have recommended he clinch up and try to get shots out of the clinch. Volkanovski strong but max is a huge dude for FW. I would have liked to have seen him try to do some dirty boxing and get in closer to make those leg kicks ineffective, but once his mobility was hindered I’m sure it wouldn’t have been easy.

You're not rude. Just an ass.

It may have been his game plan. But it isn't what he did.

Volk will change gameplan according to whatever Max tries. He's too smart

Max has a few problems. He is not terribly bright, and if he got to the end of that fight thinking he was winning then his corner is doing a critically bad job. He needs to be more dynamic so that if he can't find his range with the hands he can change his pace or switch gameplans. He has become a bit predictable and too uniform, great as he is.

Volk fought a very smart fight, staying out of Max's reach, spamming the leg kicks, and going in and out with hooks. As Max slowed down his punches started finding their target more and more, and he started landing jabs and hooks. Max should have realized by the third he needed to push forward more diligently and close the range to find offensive success, which was riskier and not ideal, but a risk he needed to take to win.

what does he do differently?

lift his front leg up and check the dam kicks...and maybe throw a tad more...it was a close competitive fight...nobody was ever hurt...volk just happened to land a little bit more...that's it....

Facts, a pretty basic fighter, just utilizes his strengths VERY well and he has elite level TDD. Not many guys have been able to take him down across his title reign or even the win streak he was on so they are forced to keep it on the feet. He started fucking Volk up in that 4th round by landing consistent punches to the body and you could see they were slowing him down. Max just needs to be the aggressor more and work on checking those leg kicks. But he's got that Diaz style where he is heavy on the front leg which he'll need to adjust the next go round. Still don't see a rematch going differently tho, Volk is just very skilled, and unless Max can finish he just gets beat at range.

I think the fight was close enough, for max to make a couple of little tweeks and he can win....

Has Max been exposed? Obviously doing what Volkanovski did is no easy task, but we got a sense of how to beat Max at UFC 245.

Leg kicks limit the movement of a fighter than relies on movement. Also, Max mostly boxes against his opponents because he can outbox them.
WELL, if you don't know how to check a leg kick, then it's hard to lean on that front foot and box. Volkanovski kicked Max's leg every time he tried to get in range to box.

Would you pick Volkanovski to retain his title in the rematch?
According to Sherdog, Max was never that good...
tenor.gif
Yes he was exposed, he’s been protected from wrestlers his entire career, he was never any good.

Back