What do you think of open scoring?

real2124

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Fighters can see their score after each round and fight accordingly.

Yes.
Why the hell not?

Edit: all the last round do-or-die attitudes would make it more interesting.
If not the fighter would be called upon it for not giving his best to finish in the last round after being down 2 or more rounds.

Oh hi Mark.

We all want it but it will not happen unfortunately
<{hughesimpress}>

I think fighters would just coast once they see they’re up. On the contrary, the losing fighter might go for broke Tim Boetsch style.

I’d just get rid of round by round scoring personally and score the fight as a whole. Will never happen though. And please get some competent judges.

I don’t like it. I like everyone to do their best for all 3/5 rds.

I support it, but stateside commissions have no interest it ever implementing it. It'll stay in Europe for Glory KB cards and that's about all.

I think fighters would just coast once they see they’re up. On the contrary, the losing fighter might go for broke Tim Boetsch style.
tumblr_mt307wIwVs1ry1rm7o1_400.gifv

For what its worth it could go both ways (no homo)

In theory when fighters know their behind on the cards they push the pace and aggression accordingly bc they need a finish.

Meanwhile fighters up on the cards know they can cruise to a UD win, decide to hop on the bicycle and do laps round the octagon.

<Fedor23>

Yes.
Why the hell not?

Edit: all the last round do-or-die attitudes would make it more interesting.
If not the fighter would be called upon it for not giving his best to finish in the last round after being down 2 or more rounds.
It would be the opposite of that. It take 2 to fight, and for every guy who's call out for not giving it his best after being down 2 rounds or more, there's an opponent who will be called an idiot for even engaging after being up 2 rounds or more. Try engaging someone who doesn't want to engage with you sometime. It doesn't work. "I think I'm up but I can't know for sure and should keep winning just in case" is why guys still engage after it's in the bag. The last thing fighters need is some assurance that they can lose the round and still win.

I’d just get rid of round by round scoring personally and score the fight as a whole. Will never happen though. And please get some competent judges.

Correct, that's why we should never do it, we'd see a lot of boring third rounds.

I think fighters should fight every round as if they're behind. Letting a fighter know they're two rounds up in a three round fight is just asking for a boring third round.
It's different in boxing where individual rounds don't mean as much, but in mma it would just lead to a lot of people refusing to engage in the third round

They already have that system in place. It's called Dan Miragliiota reffing the fight.

Open scoring should be implemented, absolutely. what's even the point of all the mystery and secrecy? I see no reason to not have complete and total transparency

For what its worth it could go both ways (no homo)
In theory when fighters know their behind on the cards they push the pace and aggression accordingly bc they need a finish.
Meanwhile fighters up on the cards know they can cruise to a UD win, decide to hop on the bicycle and do laps round the octagon.
<Fedor23>

Why should the statement "fighters would be prone to coast if they know the score" be a detractor if fighters already coast later rounds without knowing the score.

Nope terrible idea and I think it's been tried in boxing with poor results

Open scoring should be implemented, absolutely. what's even the point of all the mystery and secrecy? I see no reason to not have complete and total transparency

Cos if you know for a fact that you're up 2/3 rounds you'll just keep running away, wall and stall, and/or lay and pray in the third. Just doing what you can to avoid being KOed instead of continue to fight. That would make many fights unwatchable.

Keeping the score hidden discourages fighters from doing that because there is always a chance the judges may not side with you.

Cos if you know for a fact that you're up 2/3 rounds you'll just keep running away, wall and stall, and/or lay and pray in the third. Just doing what you can to avoid being KOed instead of continue to fight. That would make many fights unwatchable.
Keeping the score hidden discourages fighters from doing that because there is always a chance the judges may not side with you.

The flip side is just as likely to happen which would be fighter A knows knows he lost round 1 to fighter B. Wouldn't fighter A be forced to open up more to try and even the score so he doesnt go down 2 rounds. There are various other scenarios that could be affected by open scoring in a positive fashion but this is neither the time nor the place. The ebb and flow of fights would and should change but to automatically say it would generally produce a negative outcome and take away the thrill of the fight is not exactly something I can agree with.

Yeah sure. They could also try adding optional modes to the standard model. I miss Prides variety with the single night GP's, the weird no time limit Gracie Sakuraba bout and etc.

Back