Redeeming Covington

hedidhisownstunts

EJACULATE LIFE
Banned
Reaction score
I don’t like the politics Colby utilizes to sell a greater narrative to his fights and character. I’ll say this though. Covington fought a very good and smart fight. His advantage here is probably that he is smarter than Usman and it showed in the early rounds where he found advantages while being physically disadvantaged.

I also think his criticism for the end of the fight is fairly right on. Instead of stopping the flight, Godard could have issued a warning to Usman for striking to the back of the head and allowed the action to resume, especially with such little fight time remaining. Colby did not seem to be out, and I generally am more partial to thinking the knock down was more a result of exhaustion from a hard fought fight and his equilibrium probably being a bit out with disorientation of his jaw break beginning to settle in.

I picked Usman to win, and think Usman is the better fighter, but there is genuine rational for criticism here and genuine rational for respect to Colby’s performance in the octagon.

Colby will run into increased difficulty with his fight style as his career continues, I believe. His attacks don’t have the kind of power to garner a great deal of respect, and more serious striking threats will find comfort in accepting to exchange.

Colby did not seem to be out, and I generally am more partial to thinking the knock down was more a result of exhaustion from a hard fought fight and his equilibrium probably being a bit out with disorientation of his jaw break beginning to settle in.

"He was badly injured and being dropped due to pain/injury"

Is a reason to allow a fight to continue after absorbing 18 undefended blows ?

No there’s not.

Back of head shots always happen. This one was truly unexceptional.

Stoppages happen. Ref was fine.

He would have lost the split decision anyways. We know that from seeing the scorecards.

Great and close fight. But Colby can be win 2 and try again. Just like anyone else who lost a title shot.

Colby did not seem to be out, and I generally am more partial to thinking the knock down was more a result of exhaustion from a hard fought fight and his equilibrium probably being a bit out with disorientation of his jaw break beginning to settle in.

<SelenaWow> All I've been hearing/reading all week is about Colby's crazy cardio and the late rounds were his to drag Usman into deep waters, but it was Colby who got exhausted? Must have been from all those life sucking body blows Usman was pounding him with. Colby was gonna get beaten brain dead Usman was getting stronger and Colby felt it himself being melted...

Last edited:
<SelenaWow> All I've been hearing/reading all week is about Colby's crazy cardio and the late rounds were his to drag Usman into deep waters, but it was Colby who got exhausted? Must have been from all those life sucking body blows Usman was pounding him with. Colby was gonna get beaten brain dead Usman was getting stronger and Colby felt it he being melted...
How about I break your jaw and try to survive the next 2 5 minutes with my onslaught?

Let's say the fight wasn't stopped, he was going to lose on the cards and had a broken jaw. Would he still have ran out of the arena before the decision was read?

Redeeming himself -- well running away after the fight - like he was dodging the draft - and then going to twitter to complain is not a good look.

You cannot live that down now matter how much you try. You talked so much shit and were going to destroy Usman only to be beat up, resort to faking an eye poke, claiming you had a broken jaw then run away to avoid having to man up.

Christ even conor and sonnen accepted the loss and ate crow (and conor waited a day or so to start making excuses).

He could’ve redeemed himself and earned respect from fans that hate him if he didn’t run away like a sore loser. It’s tough to give him praise when he can’t admit defeat.

Great entertaining fight between two guys who were known as boring

It was a BS stoppage but Usman wasn't going to suddenly get knocked out by Colby, so he was on his way to winning a decision on two of the cards

If Colby was heading to a decision victory, the BS stoppage would have been more controversial

<SelenaWow> All I've been hearing/reading all week is about Colby's crazy cardio and the late rounds were his to drag Usman into deep waters, but it was Colby who got exhausted? Must have been from all those life sucking body blows Usman was pounding him with. Colby was gonna get beaten brain dead Usman was getting stronger and Colby felt it himself being melted...
Usman was losing the exchanges predominantly. He got news of the jaw break going into 5 and turned it up in the final moments. The fight was literally stopped from illegal strikes. That’s pretty shitty.

Let's say the fight wasn't stopped, he was going to lose on the cards and had a broken jaw. Would he still have ran out of the arena before the decision was read?
I wish the fight wasn’t stopped so Usman could of bounced his head off the canvas and then everyone would of been happier!

Lmao the stoppage wasn't great but Colby wasn't gonna KO or sub Usman off his back when he can't even do that to lesser fighters from top position. He was gonna lose a decision or actually lose consciousness.

Usman was losing the exchanges predominantly. He got news of the jaw break going into 5 and turned it up in the final moments. The fight was literally stopped from illegal strikes. That’s pretty shitty.

Colby was getting popped harder both head & body, yes Colby was doing his own counters but the hit effect coming from Usman was very evident to this watcher, you can see Colby wilting in the later rounds trying to maintain pressure but just getting popped back good fight better finish...

Last edited:
Colby was getting popped harder both head & body, yes Colby was doing his own counters but the hit effect coming from Usman was very evident to this watcher, you can Colby wilting in the later rounds trying to maintain pressure but just getting popped back good fight better finish...
I think Usman does hit harder, but when Colby was landing his power shots Usman was ducking his head into his guard and stopping in his tracks like the track got paused momentarily. Usman may not have worn it so apparently on his face, but he got rocked on almost every exchange he lost.

Colby was getting popped harder both head & body, yes Colby was doing his own counters but the hit effect coming from Usman was very evident to this watcher, you can Colby wilting in the later rounds trying to maintain pressure but just getting popped back good fight better finish...
Usman was super smart for his persistent body work tho, for sure. He really dug in with toes and knuckles. It was a good strategy and I was genuinely surprised that Colby’s striking was enough to yield the respect it did.

Back