What gameplan would a fighter have to implement to beat Volkanovski?

det_regnar_på_vår_kärlek

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Volkanovski low key took three of the most valuable scalps in MMA (Mendes, Aldo, Holloway).
Is there a FW and LW that you can see beating him? How would the game plan look like?

Max's jab in the later rounds showed weaknesses in Alex's game.
if you work the jab and use a reach advantage, there is a shot at beating him.
Basically, Like Joshua, single jabs and dont over commit with combos.

I would love to see him fight Korean Zombie or Ortega.

Max's jab in the later rounds showed weaknesses in Alex's game.
if you work the jab and use a reach advantage, there is a shot at beating him.
Basically, Like Joshua, single jabs and dont over commit with combos.
I like your thinking TS -- easier said than done, but I think that a diverse array with jabs and maybe some pressure would be the best bet. Volk is one tough SOB with some big lungs.

Apparently Dana said a rematch with Max in Australia is next. I think Max can make a few adjustments to deal with the leg kicks and get his belt back.

Volkanovski low key took three of the most valuable scalps in MMA (Mendes, Aldo, Holloway).
Is there a FW and LW that you can see beating him? How would the game plan look like?

A LW? Sure, most of them but the FW's will find it tough.

Volkanovski might say that after his rugby league FWs look small to him but the LWs in the UFC are a hell of a lot bigger than he is and than Max, Aldo or Mendes are.
He should stick to FW and try and get a few defences.

Khabib would just take him down and maul him, I don't think he wants anything of Kevin Lee either or Tony.

Beating Max was great but he doesn't want to go anywhere near LW for the foreseeable future if ever.

Did anybody else see when Max landed a clean shot to Alex's gut, Alex's shot him a head nod and said, "Good Job!" f'n classic

Max seemed to have forgot sides of his game. Especially recently, literally zero body work, zero stance switches until he was forced due to leg kicks, and was so stationary. Max has definitely regressed imo. But what a performance by Volk. What a win.

Max seemed to have forgot sides of his game. Especially recently, literally zero body work, zero stance switches until he was forced due to leg kicks, and was so stationary. Max has definitely regressed imo. But what a performance by Volk. What a win.
His legs were damaged from the kicks which limited his movement as the fight went on. Max is a pressure fighter as well though who gains confidence and increased his output as the fight goes on if he’s moving forward. In this fight Volk put the screws on him and never let max get his rhythm until the end of the fight. Alex had a great gameplan and Max couldn’t adapt to his pressure, I think he’s still the same fighter.

leg kick the leg kicker
while also learning how to check kicks yourself.

Max with a bit better of a game plan.

honestly, it looked like Max was starting to find success in 4 and 5 when he just opted to say “fuck it” and fight orthodox. I would bet Max beats Volk in a rematch. It was just too little, too late.

Check leg kick. Kick him back more. Take him to the ground etc

Check his leg kicks, keep him at distance, and get his respect with some powerful punches. Easier said than done

Back